Connect with us

Sports

Kevin De Bruyne Signs Contract Extension To Stay At Manchester City Until 2025

Published

on

Manchester City midfielder Kevin De Bruyne has signed a two-year contract extension committing him to Manchester City until the summer of 2025 and potentially stretching his stay at the Etihad to a decade.

The 29-year-old Belgian was previously on around £300,000 a week at City and is believed to have agreed a small increase and was eager to stay in Manchester following Pep Guardiola’s new deal and has represented himself in talks with the Etihad club which began back in October

The former Chelsea man said “I could not be happier,” he added that since joined Man City in 2015, “I have felt at home. I love the fans; my family are settled here in Manchester and my own game has developed really well.”

Since joining the club from Wolfsburg in 2015, De Bruyne has had a glittering spell, winning seven major trophies.

De Bruyne is on the brink of a third Premier League title but is desperate to win the Champions League – the one club trophy missing from his CV.

The midfielder who will be 30 by June said “Pep and I see football in the same way. Having that relationship with a manager is so important to me because our objectives are totally aligned, and we want the same things.

“This football club is geared for success. It offers me everything I need to maximise my performance, so signing this contract was a straightforward decision.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

FIFA Strongly Disapproves Of European Super League

Published

on

By

FIFA president, Gianni Infantino, says the world football body disapproves of the proposed European Super League and that clubs involved could face consequences.

Twelve major clubs have launched plans for a new breakaway league which would drastically change football’s setup.

UEFA has also confirmed that a new format for the champions league will be introduced from 2024 with the number of clubs in the group stage increasing from 32 to 36.

The new format will see all 36 clubs brought together into one pool instead of the current system of four-team groups.

Continue Reading

Sports

UEFA Threatens Ban As Premier League’s ‘Big Six’ Clubs Agree To Join New European Super League

Published

on

By

The 12 clubs who have agreed to join a new European Super League (ESL) have on Sunday been warned by European football’s governing body UEFA that they face being banned from domestic and international competitions if they set up a rival to the Champions League.

UEFA in a joint statement with Spanish, English and Italian leagues and federations said it will consider “all measures”, including the courts, in opposition to plans for a breakaway competition.

UEFA said “the clubs concerned will be banned from playing in any other competition at domestic, European or world level, and their players could be denied the opportunity to represent their national teams.

In a seismic move for European football, Premier League clubs including Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and Tottenham will join AC Milan, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus and Real Madrid are the clubs who have agreed to join a new European Super League (ESL).

They make up 12 of what will be 15 founding clubs, who cannot be relegated from the closed-shop elite with Borussia Dortmund rejecting the opportunity to join.

Five clubs will be entitled to qualify every year, with the season running from August to May.

The ESL which is also planning to launch a women’s competition as soon as possible after the men’s tournament starts said the founding clubs had agreed to establish a “new midweek competition” with teams continuing to “compete in their respective national leagues”.

It said the inaugural season was “intended to commence as soon as practicable” and “anticipated that a further three clubs” would join the breakaway.

Critics say the move is being driven purely by money, would destroy domestic leagues and is against the integrity of the sport.

UEFA is due to sign off on its own plans for an expanded and restructured Champions League on Monday but less than 24 hours before the meeting reports emerged of a new attempt at creating a rival competition involving the continent’s top clubs.

Condemning the move when the news broke on Sunday, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaking on Monday said the government was “going to look at everything that we can do with the football authorities to make sure that this doesn’t go ahead in the way that it’s currently being proposed”.

Johnson speaking to broadcasters on a visit to Gloucestershire said “I don’t think that it is good news for fans, I don’t think it’s good news for football in this country.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Jose Mourinho Sacked As Tottenham Head Coach

Published

on

By

Jose Mourinho Sacked As Tottenham Head Coach

Just after 17 months in charge, Jose Mourinho has on Monday been sacked by Tottenham in just six days before the Carabao Cup final clash with Manchester City.

Making the announcement, the club in a brief statement on their website stated “the club can today announce that Jose Mourinho and his coaching staff Joao Sacramento, Nuno Santos, Carlos Lalin and Giovanni Cerra have been relieved of their duties.”

Chairman Daniel Levy said “Jose and his coaching staff have been with us through some of our most challenging times as a club.

He said “Jose is a true professional who showed enormous resilience during the pandemic. On a personal level I have enjoyed working with him and regret that things have not worked out as we both had envisaged.”

In November 2019, the Portuguese manager replaced Mauricio Pochettino as Spurs manager and guided the club to sixth in the Premier League last season.

But in 2021, Spurs have endured a disastrous year, slipping down the Premier League at an alarming speed while also crashing out of the Europa League

58-year-old Mourinho whose last in charge was a 2-2 league draw at Everton on Friday has been under increasing pressure.

Former Spurs midfielder Ryan Mason, who has been working with the club’s academy, will take first-team training on Monday.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Africa News Network.