Connect with us

African News

Algeria: Don’t Use Ivermectin To Treat COVID-19, Health Ministry Warns

Published

on

Algeria is warning against the use of worm drug in treating coronavirus.  Algeria’s health ministry has warned against using the anti-parasitic drug, Ivermectin, to treat COVID-19 as it poses a “danger to human health.”

A local daily newspaper, el Khabar, reported a letter sent by the ministry to local health authorities alerting them that the drug was circulating on the black market, so they should be “aware of the dangers arising from the use of this medication” in humans.

Ivermectin is used to treat parasitic worms, but some have touted it as an effective coronavirus treatment, even though it is not clinically proven.

It has also become popular on the black market in South Africa, where a court battle is raging over whether it should be used to treat COVID-19.

The pill is currently not licensed for human use by the South African health products regulatory authority. It is only registered to treat parasites in animals.

The World Health Organization has advised against the use of this drug to treat COVID-19 patients.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

African News

DR Congo Begins COVID-19 Vaccination Campaign

Published

on

By

African Countries Keen On AstraZeneca COVID-19 Vaccine - WHO

The Democratic Republic of Congo will begin its COVID-19 vaccination campaign on Monday after suspending the exercise over fears regarding the safety and efficacy of the AstraZeneca vaccine.

In early March, more than 1.7 million doses of coronavirus vaccines arrived in the DR Congo as part of the COVAX initiative but the country postponed the vaccination after studies in South Africa questioned its efficacy on the variant that is dominant in the country.

Having now reassured the public that the doses are safe for use, the country’s health minister Eteni Longondo said priority will be given to health personnel, people who suffer from chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension and basic social personnel, that is to say those who are in constant contact with the public.

Continue Reading

African News

Zimbabwe Frees Some Inmates To Reduce COVID-19 Risk In Jails  

Published

on

By

Zimbabwe government has begun releasing prisoners amid concerns of overcrowding and coronavirus pandemic. About 3,000 prisoners have been released under a presidential amnesty aimed at easing congestion to reduce the threat of COVID-19 in the country’s overcrowded jails.

Zimbabwe’s prisons have a capacity of 17,000 prisoners but held about 22,000 before the amnesty declared by president Emmerson Mnangagwa.

400 prisoners were released from Chikurubi prison and other jails in the capital, Harare, on Saturday with more coming from other prisons countrywide.

Those to be released had been convicted of non-violent crimes. All females imprisoned for non-violent crimes and who served a third of their sentences are to be released, and all disabled persons convicted of non-violent crimes.  Africa centers for disease control and prevention data show, Zimbabwe has recorded 37,534 cases of covid-19, including 1,551 deaths.

Authorities say, those convicted of crimes such as murder, treason, human trafficking, and sexual offenses will not benefit.

President Mnangagwa also commuted death sentences to life sentences for many prisoners on death row. Zimbabwe still has the death penalty but has not hanged anyone in years.

Authorities have suspended visits to prisons while plans are made to vaccinate inmates as part of measures to combat the spread of the virus. Political activists who have been sent to prison as part of a government crackdown on dissent have spoken of dire conditions, which they said put inmates at risk of both starvation and disease outbreak.

In another response to the pandemic, Zimbabwe has canceled the independence day celebrations planned for April 18 to combat the spread of COVID-19.

Continue Reading

African News

Egypt: At Least 11 Killed, 100 Injured In Train Crash North Of Cairo

Published

on

By

Egypt: At Least 11 Killed, 100 Injured In Train Crash North Of Cairo

At least 11 persons have been killed in Egypt in a train accident. Egypt’s health ministry said in a statement, at least 100 persons were also injured on Sunday in the crash in Egypt’s Qalioubia province north of Cairo. Around 60 ambulances were sent to take the injured from the scene to nearby hospitals.

Railway authorities say at least four train wagons ran off the tracks at the city of Banha in the province. The train was travelling to the Nile Delta city of Mansoura from the Egyptian capital.

Sunday’s train accident came three weeks after two passenger trains collided in the province of Sohag, killing at least 18 persons and injuring 200 others, including children.

The government says it has launched a broad renovation and modernization initiative in the railway system.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Africa News Network.