Connect with us

World News

Latin America COVID-19 Cases Exceed 24.5 Million

Published

on

Total confirmed COVID-19 cases in Latin America has exceeded twenty-four and a half million as of Sunday.  Brazil, the world’s second, and Latin America’s worst-hit country by the epidemic registered a total of nearly thirteen million cases.

Brazil is currently one of the global epicenters of the COVID-19 pandemic, with the world’s second worst outbreak in terms of both deaths and infections, only after the United States.

In the midst of this horrendous record, many locals are still going against the stricter pandemic prevention rules announced earlier amid the emergency state.  Rio de Janeiro’s tourist attraction has seen frequent gatherings at beaches or swimming pools.  One such pool parties, sporting more than three hundred persons, was busted on Sunday.

Meanwhile, Argentina’s health ministry reported on Sunday nearly two and a half million COVID-19 cases.  More than seven thousand cases were recorded on Sunday, pushing the national total to more than two point three million.  With the confirmation of 81 new fatalities, the country total deaths had jumped to fifty-five and a half thousand.  More than three and a half million Argentinians have, so far, been vaccinated against the coronavirus.

And Chile’s health ministry reported on Sunday more than seven thousand new cases, and one hundred more deaths from COVID-19, in the midst of a new wave of infections in the country.

The ministry said Chile has recorded nearly one million cases with 23,000 deaths.  Additionally, forty-two thousand patients are currently in the active stage of the disease, while nearly one million persons have recovered.

Faced with the worsening situation, Chilean president Sebastian Pinera warned, over the weekend that, despite the advance of the COVID-19 vaccination program in the country, the coming weeks would be “difficult and painful.”

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health

India: Delhi Announces Lockdown As COVID Cases Surge

Published

on

By

India Has Recorded More Than 200,000 Daily COVID-19 Cases For The First Time

India’s capital city, Delhi, has announced a week-long lockdown effective today, Monday, after the city recorded a spike in number of infections that has now overwhelmed the city’s healthcare system.

Government offices and essential services, such as hospitals, pharmacies and grocers, are open during the lockdown.

Delhi recorded nearly twenty-five hundred cases of the coronavirus infections on Sunday alone.

India has been reeling from a deadly second wave since early April causing a shortage of hospital beds and oxygen supplies.

India has the fourth highest number of deaths after the United States, Brazil and Mexico – though, among a population of nearly one and a half billion.

Delhi state’s chief minister, Arvind Kejriwal says the healthcare system is at a breaking point, and if a lockdown is not put in place now, the country will be looking at a bigger disaster.

Continue Reading

World News

Families Reunite As Australia-New Zealand ‘Travel Bubble’ Begins

Published

on

By

Hundreds of passengers from Australia have started arriving at New Zealand airports on Monday after authorities reopened borders, in a process that allows quarantine-free travel between the countries for the first time in more than a year.

New Zealand had enforced isolation for arrivals from its neighbour, citing concerns about sporadic virus outbreaks there.

New Zealand prime minister, Jacinda Ardern told reporters in wellington, this bubble marks a significant step in New Zealand’s reconnection with the world.

Ardern said Australian prime minister Scott Morrison and foreign minister Marise Payne would visit New Zealand very soon.

Continue Reading

World News

Boris Johnson Cancels India Trip Amid COVID Surge

Published

on

By

Boris Johnson Cancels India Trip Amid COVID Surge

British prime minister Boris Johnson has cancelled a planned trip to India, originally planned for next week, because of the rise in India’s COVID-19 cases.

India is enduring a second wave of the virus, with infections passing the 15 million mark.

Johnson had already postponed the trip once in January, when COVID-19 infections were high in Britain.

Now that the trip has been cancelled, prime ministers Modi and Johnson will speak later this month to agree and launch their ambitious plans for the future partnership between the UK and India.

Britain has invited India to attend the G7 summit it will host in June.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Africa News Network.