Connect with us

African News

Nigeriens Patiently Await Presidential Election Results

Published

on

The ruling party’s presidential candidate in Niger, Mohamed Bazoum is holding a large lead in the early results from Sunday’s election, as Nigeriens patiently await presidential election results.

The National Independent Electoral Commission (CENI) continued to announce results on Tuesday from various municipalities, and broadcast on television and radio.

The commission had released results of 20 municipalities out of 266 in the country as of late afternoon Tuesday some say it is impossible to gauge the outcome of the Sunday vote by that figure.

Niger electoral commission spokesperson told news agency AFP that final results should be released either Wednesday or Thursday. The commission recorded no serious incident on Sunday.

Nearly 7.5 million voters turn out for the vote in a country of 23 million people. 30 candidates including two former presidents and two former prime ministers contested. If none of the 30 candidates receives a majority of the first-round vote, a run-off will be held in February. The election observation mission of the International Organization of the Francophonie (OIF) gave Niger a satisfactory report, stating in a communiqué that “the first round took place in a generally satisfactory manner’’. Outgoing president Mahamadou Issoufou said Sunday: “whoever wins, the victory will belong to the people of Niger.

Bazoum, a former interior minister, is considered a strong favourite to succeed president Mahamadou Issoufou, who is stepping down after two five-year terms.

A smooth handover would mark the first transfer of power between two democratically elected presidents. Niger has experienced four coups since independence from France in 1960.

The new president will face rising violence from Islamist militants whose attacks have killed hundred of civilians and soldiers in the last year alone, although few security incidents were reported on election day.

African News

Emirates Airlines Temporarily Suspends Flights To South Africa

Published

on

By

Emirates Airlines says it will suspend all flights to and from south Africa from this weekend till January the 28th for operational reasons.

The Dubai-based airline says customers holding tickets with final destinations in South Africa during that period will not be accepted for travel at their point of origin. It did not elaborate further.

Emirates is popular to and from the country. South Africa has seen a surge in cases since a new variant was identified in the country in November.

Emirates is popular with travellers to and from South Africa, but there has been a sharp drop in travel because of the coronavirus outbreak.

Continue Reading

African News

‘Unique’ COVID-19 Variant Detected In Kenya

Published

on

By

Kenya says it has detected a unique coronavirus variant in the south-east of the country, following a study by state-linked Kenya Medical Research Institute between June and October.

Scientists at the institute say more research needs to be done to assess the impact of the variant.

Kenya has so far confirmed nearly 100,000 COVID-19 cases and more than 1,700 deaths.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organization says the faster-spreading South African variant has been detected in three African states – Botswana, Zambia and the Gambia in west Africa.

WHO says Africa has now surpassed three million COVID-19 cases, and daily case numbers were exceeding the first wave peak.

WHO an average of 25,223 cases were reported each day between 28 December 2020 and 10 January 2021 in Africa, which is nearly 39% higher than the July 2020 two-week peak of 18,104 daily average cases.

“Revamped public health measures are ever more critical to avert a runaway surge in infections that could stretch health facilities to the breaking point,” it added.

Continue Reading

African News

Dozens Killed In Suspected Rebel Attack In Eastern DR Congo

Published

on

By

A senior provincial official in the Democratic Republic of Congo has on Thursday said at least 46 civilians are reported to have been killed in an attack by suspected rebel fighters on a village in the eastern part of the country.

Adjio Gidi, a provincial Interior Minister said as of this afternoon 46 persons are reported to have died and local security forces have been dispatched to the village in Irumu territory to investigate.

He added that the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF) were behind the raid.

According to UN figures The Ugandan armed group is believed to have carried out a string of massacres in the eastern DRC, killing more than 1,000 civilians since the start of 2019.

Local army spokesman Jules Ngongo said after being alerted to the latest violence, troops went to the village and are in the process of recovering bodies. He did not say how many had been killed.

Some few days ago, unidentified attackers killed at least six rangers in an ambush in eastern DRC’s Virunga National Park, a sanctuary for endangered mountain gorillas.

DRC’s eastern borderlands with Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi are home to a constellation of more than 100 different rebel groups, many remnants of its brutal civil wars that officially ended in 2003.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.