The Governor of Katsina State, Aminu Masari has on Sunday disclosed that 333 students of Government Science Secondary School, Kankara are yet to be found following the bandits’ attack in the early hours of Saturday.
Masari revealed this during a sympathy visit to the state by a Federal Government delegation led by the National Security Adviser, Babagana Monguno.
The governor said, “the children so far kidnapped cut across the state because the boarding school houses all children from all parts of the state and some even from outside the state.
“It has a population of 839 and so far we are yet to account for 333 students. We are still counting because more are coming out from the forest and we are calling those parents that have phone numbers to find out whether or not their children have gone back home.”
Earlier, the Governor reacting to the abduction of the students in Kankara Local Government Area of the State ordered the immediate closure of all schools across the State.
Lawmakers On Education Oppose School Reopening
Nigerian lawmakers committee on education says it opposes school reopening plan that came into effect today, Monday. The committee says it is concerned about the rush to reopen schools amid a new spike of more than 1,000 new daily infections. The committee has asked the federal government to postpone the reopening of schools by three months citing rising COVID-19 cases.
Committee chairman, Julius Ihonvbere, suggests learners should stay at home until schools can report 75% compliance to COVID-19 protocols. The committee also wants the government to first monitor community compliance and schools’ readiness before allowing children back into schools.
Ihonvbere said “aside from Lagos and a couple of other states, governments are unable to enforce COVID-19 protocols. People no longer wear face masks or use sanitizer.”
We Didn’t Endorse Tinubu, Fayemi Too Can Contest – Fmr. Speakers
Former speakers of the houses of assembly in Ekiti and Ondo states have denied endorsing Asiwaju Bola Tinubu for the 2023 presidency.
At a meeting of serving and former speakers in Yoruba states in Ibadan, the former speakers, led by the Lagos House of assembly speaker, Mudashiru Obasa and the coordinator of former southwest speakers, titi Oseni, the former speakers denied endorsing the presidential ambition of the All Progressive Congress ,APC, national leader.
Five former Ondo speakers: Victor Olabimtan, Oluwasegun Bolarinwa, Ayo Agbomuserin, Abdusalam Olawale Taofeeq, Kenneth Olawale, and Patrick Ajigbolamu issued a statement on Sunday noting that Obasa was at the meeting to solicit the support of the former speakers, as automatic national delegates “for the aspiration of his mentor, Asiwaju bola Tinubu.”
The group noted that all candidates from the zone, including Tinubu, had a legitimate right to aspire to lead the country. Former speaker from Ekiti State also said his governor, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, is equally interested in the presidency. He said the group believes every eligible aspirant deserves equal right and opportunity.
Army Chief Buratai Hails Troops For Repelling Boko Haram Terrorists In Attack On Troops’ Base
Nigerian army chief, Tukur Buratai has applauded his troops for repelling Boko Haram/ISWAP attack on Friday after the terrorists invaded an army base in Marte, Borno state. Their efforts were reinforce by air task force unit of operation Lafiya dole. Buratai said the upperhand gained by the troops was a “good display of gallantry.”
He also said the troops’ heroic and patriotic actions resulted in the successes recorded.
Buratai’s reactions were captured in a statement by army spokesman, Brigadier General Sagir Musa.