Connect with us

African News

Ghana Opposition To Challenge Presidential Election Loss

Published

on

Ghana’s main opposition party, led by former president John Mahama, said on Tuesday it will formally challenge the outcome of last month`s presidential results.

The opposition-NDC, has yet to produce evidence of fraud, and has provided no details about the case it would file. The court has 42 working days from when hearings begin to issue its decision.

Incumbent president Akufo-Addo was declared winner of the December the 7th vote with nearly 52%, ahead of the opposition national democratic party’s candidate, former president John Mahama, who received 47.37%. Observers say the election was well-organised.

But Ghanaian police say five persons have been killed in post election-related violence since Monday.

Only one presidential election, eight years ago, was formally contested by the losing candidate. The court rejected Akufo-Addo’s challenge to then-incumbent Mahama’s victory in a case that dragged on for eight months.

Opposition’s protest plans were thwarted last week when Ghana police service secured a court order restraining all demonstrations.

African News

Ghana Opposition Condemns Election Tribunal Timeline

Published

on

By

Ghana opposition leader John Mahama’s lawyers say the court’s timeline is unfair for the case addressing their concerns over December’s election.

Ghana’s supreme court had set the date on Wednesday, for the hearing next Tuesday of an election petition filed by the opposition seeking to annul the results over irregularities.

The court ruled that all parties must file their witness statements by Thursday afternoon and the supreme court will begin the main hearing on Tuesday. The supreme court says the strict timeline was to enable the hearing of the petition within 42 days of the election as prescribed by law.

Mahama’s lawyers say justice should not be sacrificed for speed.

They had applied for a review of the court’s decision to dismiss their request for the electoral commission to answer questions about the process of declaring results.

They had also applied for original copies of the statement of polls which contains constituency results.

Continue Reading

African News

43 Africans Drown Off Libya In First Mediterranean Shipwreck Of 2021- UN

Published

on

By

The first migrant ship wreck in the Mediterranean this year has seen at least 43 African migrants drowned off the coast of Libya on Tuesday while trying to reach Europe. The International Organization for Migration (IOM), and United Nations Refugee Agency, UNHCR, said in a joint statement ten survivors were rescued and brought to shore by coastal security in Zuwahra after their boat capsized in rough seas.

Libya is the major route for migrants seeking to reach Europe from Africa. The U.N. Agencies called for reactivating state-led search and rescue operations in the Mediterranean and for a halt to returning migrants to “unsafe ports.”

Continue Reading

African News

Britain Helps Kenya Prepare For Roll-Out Of COVID-19 Vaccine

Published

on

By

Kenya says it is expecting from next month 24 million Astrazeneca and oxford university vaccine doses.

Health minister Mutahi Kagwe says the vaccines were ordered through an African Union (AU) initiative.

UK foreign minister, Dominic Raab, who is on a one-day visit to Kenya, is quoted as saying Britain was helping the country to prepare to roll out the vaccine.

Raab is quoted as saying it was not just a moral duty, but in the British national interest, to see Kenyans vaccinated as soon as physically, and logistically possible.

Kenya has confirmed nearly one hundred thousand coronavirus cases and has tested more than one million of its 48 million people. There have been eighty-two and a half thousand recoveries and seventeen hundred thirty-four deaths.

 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.