A regional administrator in Ethiopia said on Monday gunmen have killed 32 persons and burned more than 20 houses in a raid on an area of western Ethiopia.
The official said, 700 to 750 persons have also been displaced from the area where the killings were carried out on Sunday by an armed group called OLF Shane in the western Wollega zone of the Oromiya region.
There was no immediate known motive for the killings.
The state-run Ethiopian human rights commission said the attack had targeted people from the ethnic Amharic group.
OLF Shane says it is fighting for the right of the Oromos, the largest ethnic group in Ethiopia.
Sporadic violence has rocked Ethiopia since the armed group was allowed to return to Ethiopia after prime minister Abiy Ahmed took office in 2018.
Last week clashes between two Ethiopian states – Somali and afar killed at least 27 persons.
In mid-October, at least 12 persons were killed in the Metakal zone of Benishangul-Gumuz region. Two attacks followed in the same zone in September, when 45 persons were killed.
Ethiopia’s prime minister Abiy Ahmed has said “measures have started to be taken against the attackers” who killed civilians in the west of the country.
Prime minister Abiy Ahmed expressed his personal condolences, and in a statement published on his Twitter and Facebook accounts.
DR Congo In ‘World’s Largest Food Crisis’
The United Nation’s Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has warned that nearly 22 million persons in the Democratic Republic of the Congo are facing acute food insecurity, a dramatic rise from last year.
An FAO report says conflict and the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, which have impacted food prices and livelihoods, have worsened the problem. The report says, the country is now experiencing the world’s largest food crisis as these factors are exacerbating humanitarian needs in the DRC.
The UN also cites as contributing factors “an economic decline linked to currency depreciation and drop in GDP growth and natural hazards,” such as flooding.
The UN agency says in a report the number of people facing acute food insecurity at crisis or worse levels has dramatically increased – from fifteen and a half million in 2019 to nearly twenty-two million.
The FAO warns that with the acute hunger, any further disruption of food supply chains will only worsen human suffering and hamper efforts to address the problem.
UK Deploys 300 Troops To Mali
The UK’s defence ministry says the first batch of 300 British troops have arrived in Mali to bolster the united peacekeeping mission there. The rest will follow within a week.
The force will join 14,000 peacekeepers from 50 nations to protect Mali’s population from growing Islamist violence.
The mission to Africa’s Sahel region has been described as the world’s most dangerous peacekeeping deployment. More than 5,000 French troops have underpinned the operation, but president Emmanuel macron is under pressure to reduce his forces.
Meanwhile, Mali’s interim government announced, on Thursday, the composition of a new legislative body for the country’s transition to civilian rule, with the military retaining a key role.
Young army officers in Mali toppled president Ibrahim Boubacar Keita in august after weeks of anti-government protests.
Military junta handed power to an interim government, between September and October under the threat of international sanctions. The interim government is meant to rule for 18 months before elections.
South Africa Fears COVID-19 Resurgence
South Africa is facing a possible resurgence of COVID-19 as localized outbreaks drive infection rates.
The country is Africa’s most affected nation, and authorities have been struggling to control the number of outbreaks since an increase was reported last month in the eastern and western southern cape provinces. Daily new cases have surpassed 3,000, a 50% jump from an average of 2,000 earlier last month. The emergence of new outbreaks in several parts in South Africa has raised concerns that the virus could be encouraged by the expected gatherings during the festive season.
So far, 796,000 cases have been reported including 21,709 deaths. Transmission rate had dropped sharply after its peak in July, with fewer than three cases detected daily per 100,000 persons between late august and early November. But the lull was short-lived, and authorities are now trying to combat a possible resurgence of the coronavirus epidemic. President Cyril Ramaphosa has ruled out a new lockdown at this stage.
Hospitals are reported overwhelmed. The health services requested assistance in three public facilities from the NGO, doctors without borders.
Meanwhile, South Africa has missed its first payment to join the World Health Organization’s initiative to help poorer countries get hold of coronavirus vaccines.
Finance minister Tito Mboweni had set aside $33m for vaccines, but it appears the treasury has not yet released the funds.