Connect with us

African News

Twelve Killed In Western Ethiopia Attacks

Published

on

At Least 12 Persons Killed In Armed Attack In Ethiopia

Ethiopian authorities say at least 12 persons have been killed in the second round of violence in under a week in the western Ethiopian state of Benishangul-Gumuz.

Officials from the region said last week 14 civilians were killed during attacks. Fourteen others who were alleged perpetrators of the attacks were also killed.

READ:  New York Begins Making Ventilators As Covid-19 Bites Hard

State spokesperson, Melese Beyene, told the media the violence was a “conflict among individuals, and arrests have been made.

On another account, a senior official from the opposition national movement of the Amhara, Desalegn Chane, said the violence was a continuation of ethnic-related attacks against minorities.  He said the number of fatalities could be as high as 18.

READ:  Nigeria's Agricultural Sector Expected To Boost By 2050

The western Ethiopia region has witnessed a surge in violence in the past few months. Ethnic minorities, Amhara and Agew, are reported to have been targeted.

READ:  Civilians Flee Bombardment As Arab States Pound Yemen Port

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Police Arrest 100 Over Angola Anti-Government Demos

Published

on

By

Police Arrest 100 Over Angola Anti-Government Demos

At least 100 protesters have been arrested in Angola following what is described as violent anti-government demonstrations in the nation`s capital Luanda over the weekend.

Interior ministry secretary, Salvador Rodrigues, said on state television, one hundred three persons, including political party leaders, were arrested and detained.

READ:  Magufuli Moves To Tanzania's New Capital Dodoma

Protesters took to the streets to demand jobs and better living conditions. They are also demanding a new date for local government elections that were due this year, but put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic.

READ:  Namibia: Germany 'Still Haunted' By Atrocities Against Namibians

Angolan authorities accused protesters of being violent – throwing stones, burning tires and damaging a fire engine. The protesters have been charged for arson and rioting, among other.

READ:  Xenophobia: Rights Group Tasks South Africa To Take Strong Action Against Perpetrators

In a statement on Sunday, main opposition party, Unita, alleged police use of excessive force and demanded “unconditional release” of all persons arrested.

Continue Reading

African News

Russia Sends More Military Equipment To Central African Republic – RIA

Published

on

By

Russia Sends More Military Equipment To Central African Republic - RIA

Russia has opened a representative office in the Central African Republic, C.A.R., and has donated ten armoured vehicles to the country.

Moscow has been solidifying its presence in the C.A.R. in recent years, sending weapons, contractors and political advisors, and has been growing its role on the continent overall as part of a renewed push for global prestige.

READ:  Uganda Stops Thousands Of Charities Amid New Regulations

The RIA news agency cited the Russian ambassador as saying on Saturday that five members of the Russian military had arrived in Bangui, C.A.R.’s capital, on Saturday, led by senior military officer – Oleg Polguev who will head up the Russian defence ministry’s representative office in the country.

READ:  ‘Something Very Big Has Just Happened!’ Trump Says, Confirms Death Of ISIS Leader

The African nation has asked for Russia`s help in lifting an arms embargo imposed by the United Nations.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea President Alpha Condé Wins Controversial Third Term

Published

on

By

Guinea President Alpha Condé Wins Controversial Third Term

Guinea`s incumbent president, Alpha Conde, has won re-election. A full preliminary tally from the election commission released on Saturday shows Conde won the October eighteenth poll with nearly sixty percent of the vote.

The 82-year-old Conde`s victory, once confirmed by the constitutional court, will give him a third term in office. The opposition had said the president had no right to participate in the election, but Conde says a constitutional referendum in march reset his two-term limit. Opponents say he is breaking the law by holding on to power.

READ:  Zimbabwean Dr Peter Magombeyi Goes Missing After Leading Calls For Strike

Results showing conde`s lead has sparked street protests in opposition strongholds leading to at least 17 deaths. Gunfire rang out across Guinea’s capital, Conakry, on Friday as security forces dispersed protesters and soldiers patrolled the streets in trucks.

READ:  Namibia: Germany 'Still Haunted' By Atrocities Against Namibians

Former prime minister, Cellou Dalein Diallo, Conde’s nearest rival with thirty-three and a half percent of the vote, said he has evidence of fraud and plans to file a complaint with the constitutional court.

READ:  Yoshihide Suga Confirmed As Japan's New PM

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: