Connect with us

African News

Tunisia Imposes Night Curfew To Slow Second Wave Of Pandemic

Published

on

Tunisia Imposes Night Curfew To Slow Second Wave Of Pandemic

Tunisia says it will re-impose a night time curfew in the capital city, Tunis and at least three other neighbouring provinces

The mayor of Tunis, said the curfew will be re-introduced for two weeks as a series of restrictions is being reinforced to control the spread of coronavirus that has significantly risen in recent weeks.  Weekly markets and Friday prayers have also been banned. Cafes and restaurants can no longer have seated areas.

READ:  Tunisian Government Laments Migrants Challenges

More than 20,000 persons have tested positive for covid-19, since July.  There were only a few soft measures in place to control the rate of infection in Tunisia.

The mayor of Tunis said the curfew will start today, Thursday and will run from 9pm to 05:00 am local time.

READ:  Tanzania Bans Sugar Importation Again

The mayors of four other Tunisian cities, which have also seen a significant rise in covid-19 cases, have also recently imposed a night curfew.

There is concern the country’s health sector could struggle significantly if the infection rate does not slow down.

READ:  Morocco Commissions Africa’s Fastest Train

Meanwhile, the Tunisian government has ruled out a return to a nationwide lockdown that was imposed earlier this year, when it shut down its economy and borders, and imposed severe restrictions on movement.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Police Arrest 100 Over Angola Anti-Government Demos

Published

on

By

Police Arrest 100 Over Angola Anti-Government Demos

At least 100 protesters have been arrested in Angola following what is described as violent anti-government demonstrations in the nation`s capital Luanda over the weekend.

Interior ministry secretary, Salvador Rodrigues, said on state television, one hundred three persons, including political party leaders, were arrested and detained.

READ:  Kenya Extends COVID-19 Curfew For Two Months But Reduces Hours

Protesters took to the streets to demand jobs and better living conditions. They are also demanding a new date for local government elections that were due this year, but put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic.

READ:  Rwanda, Uganda Peace Talks Underway In Kigali

Angolan authorities accused protesters of being violent – throwing stones, burning tires and damaging a fire engine. The protesters have been charged for arson and rioting, among other.

READ:  President Buhari Signs Anti-Corruption Bill Into Law

In a statement on Sunday, main opposition party, Unita, alleged police use of excessive force and demanded “unconditional release” of all persons arrested.

Continue Reading

African News

Russia Sends More Military Equipment To Central African Republic – RIA

Published

on

By

Russia Sends More Military Equipment To Central African Republic - RIA

Russia has opened a representative office in the Central African Republic, C.A.R., and has donated ten armoured vehicles to the country.

Moscow has been solidifying its presence in the C.A.R. in recent years, sending weapons, contractors and political advisors, and has been growing its role on the continent overall as part of a renewed push for global prestige.

READ:  2019 AFCON: Super Eagles Smelled The Honey But Never Tasted It

The RIA news agency cited the Russian ambassador as saying on Saturday that five members of the Russian military had arrived in Bangui, C.A.R.’s capital, on Saturday, led by senior military officer – Oleg Polguev who will head up the Russian defence ministry’s representative office in the country.

READ:  ITTF World Hopes Challenge: Nigerian Teenagers Qualify For Tournament

The African nation has asked for Russia`s help in lifting an arms embargo imposed by the United Nations.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea President Alpha Condé Wins Controversial Third Term

Published

on

By

Guinea President Alpha Condé Wins Controversial Third Term

Guinea`s incumbent president, Alpha Conde, has won re-election. A full preliminary tally from the election commission released on Saturday shows Conde won the October eighteenth poll with nearly sixty percent of the vote.

The 82-year-old Conde`s victory, once confirmed by the constitutional court, will give him a third term in office. The opposition had said the president had no right to participate in the election, but Conde says a constitutional referendum in march reset his two-term limit. Opponents say he is breaking the law by holding on to power.

READ:  Tanzania Bans Sugar Importation Again

Results showing conde`s lead has sparked street protests in opposition strongholds leading to at least 17 deaths. Gunfire rang out across Guinea’s capital, Conakry, on Friday as security forces dispersed protesters and soldiers patrolled the streets in trucks.

READ:  Kenya Resolves Coronavirus Spat With Tanzania

Former prime minister, Cellou Dalein Diallo, Conde’s nearest rival with thirty-three and a half percent of the vote, said he has evidence of fraud and plans to file a complaint with the constitutional court.

READ:  Check Out All 24 Countries For 2019 AFCON Tournament

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: