Connect with us

Nigerian News

Tambuwal To Buhari:  Withdraw Onochie’s Nomination Immediately

Published

on

Tambuwal To Buhari:  Withdraw Onochie's Nomination Immediately

It was just a few days ago that president Muhammadu Buhari added the name of his social media aide, Lauretta Onochie to the list of nominees as a commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, but Onochie’s nomination started gathering opposition almost immediately the list was sent to the senate for confirmation.

READ:  Sokoto To Host Catholic Bishops Conference

Now, governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal has demanded that the president immediately withdraw Onochie’s nomination.

While swearing in members of the state independent electoral commission on Wednesday, the governor said Onochie is not right for the country’s democracy as she is well known to be partisan.  He said her nomination should be withdrawn in the best interest of the country’s electoral system.  He then called on the upper legislative chamber to reject Onochie’s nomination if the president fails to withdraw it.

READ:  Appeal Court Dismisses Jaji's Suit Challenging Zamfara APC Primaries

Nigerian News

NCDC Reports 133 New COVID-19 Cases

Published

on

By

Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed one hundred thirty-three new covid-19 cases and two deaths across the country on Sunday.

The new cases were confirmed in eight states and the federal capital territory.

READ:  Nigerian Army Rescue Six Islamic Clerics

Lagos, was first on the list with ninety cases, followed by rivers with 13, and FCT with eight. Plateau recorded the least number with one infection.

READ:  Buhari Names Lauretta Onochie, Others As INEC Commissioners

56,611 patients have been discharged so far.  Thirty-seven hundred and four cases are still active.

Eleven hundred, twenty-five fatalities have been recorded since the first covid-19 case was recorded in the country.

READ:  Court Rejects Dasuki's Application For Indefinite Adjournment

Kogi, Sokoto and Adamawa are the only states with no current active case.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

#EndSARS Protest In Benin: Obaseki Declares 24-Hour Curfew

Published

on

By

British Govt Makes Fresh Threats Ahead Of Edo, Ondo Governorship Elections

The protest story is not quite the same in Edo State where authorities say hoodlums, posing as genuine protesters, attacked three police stations, carted away arms and ammunition and then flung open jail doors, setting prisoners free.

READ:  Sokoto To Host Catholic Bishops Conference

The police say they cannot ascertain the level of damage, but confirmed reports that the protesters set some of the facilities ablaze and freed some detainees.

Meanwhile, Edo state government has imposed a 24-hour curfew across the state to curb the violence.

READ:  Sokoto Assembly Receives Nominees For Principal Offices

The state government says this became necessary because of the vandalism and attacks on private individuals and institutions by hoodlums who posed as #EndSARS protesters.

READ:  Buhari Orders Immediate Voluntary Evacuation Of Nigerians From South Africa

The government has also directed all schools and businesses to shut down activities as the curfew went into effect at 4 pm on Monday.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

IG Lists Requirements Of SWAT Operatives As Training Begins Today

Published

on

By

Inspector General of Police Mohammed Adamu, has said operatives of the new police tactical team will operate under very high professional and ethical standards, rule of law and dictates of best international policing practices, as they begin training today, Monday.

READ:  PDP Again Reacts To Accusation On Atiku Hiring US Lobby Group

The I.G. also says no personnel of the defunct special anti-robbery squad will be a member of the new team.

Adamu says the swat training is in partnership with the International Committee of THE Red Cross (ICRC) and other development partners.

READ:  British Flairjet To Pay N1 Million Penalty For Nigeria's Airport Violation - Official

He further says the officers selected for the training are young, smart and energetic officers who have acquired not less than seven years working experience with clean service records, no pending disciplinary matters, no record of violation of rights of citizens or misuse of firearms and are physically fit to withstand the rigours of swat training and operations.

READ:  Buhari Orders Immediate Voluntary Evacuation Of Nigerians From South Africa

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: