Connect with us

African News

South Sudan’s Suspected Ebola Cases ‘Test Negative’

Published

on

South Sudan's Suspected Ebola Cases 'Test Negative'

South Sudan authorities have said the suspected cases of Ebola in the north-western region have tested negative. The ministry of health said the samples tested negative of Ebola and other forms of viral hemorrhagic fevers

The acting director for emergency preparedness and response, Dr Angelo Goup Thon, said samples collected from critically ill patients had returned negative and same test result had been sent to Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) for toxicology analysis. Results are expected in two days.

READ:  DRC Election: We Will Schedule Announcement Of Result - CENI

Director-General for health preventive services, John Rumunu told reporters in the capital, Juba, that there is no Ebola virus in South Sudan and there is no reason to panic.

READ:  Germany Donates Millions To WFP For South Sudan Flooding

Last week, the health ministry received an alert from raja county in a western Bahr El-Ghazal state, after three persons died from an unknown disease in Timssa area, near Central African Republic (CAR).

READ:  UN Warns Millions In Egypt And Sudan Can't Wash Their Hands

The samples that tested negative were not of those who died from a yet to be established illness that sparked suspicions.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Police Arrest 100 Over Angola Anti-Government Demos

Published

on

By

Police Arrest 100 Over Angola Anti-Government Demos

At least 100 protesters have been arrested in Angola following what is described as violent anti-government demonstrations in the nation`s capital Luanda over the weekend.

Interior ministry secretary, Salvador Rodrigues, said on state television, one hundred three persons, including political party leaders, were arrested and detained.

READ:  UN Warns Millions In Egypt And Sudan Can't Wash Their Hands

Protesters took to the streets to demand jobs and better living conditions. They are also demanding a new date for local government elections that were due this year, but put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic.

READ:  War-Torn South Sudan Launches Youth Rugby League For Peace

Angolan authorities accused protesters of being violent – throwing stones, burning tires and damaging a fire engine. The protesters have been charged for arson and rioting, among other.

READ:  Exiled Congolese Opposition Leader Addresses Opponents Of President Kabila

In a statement on Sunday, main opposition party, Unita, alleged police use of excessive force and demanded “unconditional release” of all persons arrested.

Continue Reading

African News

Russia Sends More Military Equipment To Central African Republic – RIA

Published

on

By

Russia Sends More Military Equipment To Central African Republic - RIA

Russia has opened a representative office in the Central African Republic, C.A.R., and has donated ten armoured vehicles to the country.

Moscow has been solidifying its presence in the C.A.R. in recent years, sending weapons, contractors and political advisors, and has been growing its role on the continent overall as part of a renewed push for global prestige.

READ:  U.S., UK And Norway Urge South Sudan To Meet Deadline For Transitional Government

The RIA news agency cited the Russian ambassador as saying on Saturday that five members of the Russian military had arrived in Bangui, C.A.R.’s capital, on Saturday, led by senior military officer – Oleg Polguev who will head up the Russian defence ministry’s representative office in the country.

READ:  UN Condemns 'Direct Attack' On Peacekeepers In South Sudan

The African nation has asked for Russia`s help in lifting an arms embargo imposed by the United Nations.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea President Alpha Condé Wins Controversial Third Term

Published

on

By

Guinea President Alpha Condé Wins Controversial Third Term

Guinea`s incumbent president, Alpha Conde, has won re-election. A full preliminary tally from the election commission released on Saturday shows Conde won the October eighteenth poll with nearly sixty percent of the vote.

The 82-year-old Conde`s victory, once confirmed by the constitutional court, will give him a third term in office. The opposition had said the president had no right to participate in the election, but Conde says a constitutional referendum in march reset his two-term limit. Opponents say he is breaking the law by holding on to power.

READ:  Violence In South Sudan Forces Thousands To Flee Homes - MSF

Results showing conde`s lead has sparked street protests in opposition strongholds leading to at least 17 deaths. Gunfire rang out across Guinea’s capital, Conakry, on Friday as security forces dispersed protesters and soldiers patrolled the streets in trucks.

READ:  Burundi Threatens To Quit UN Human Rights Council, Sue Critics

Former prime minister, Cellou Dalein Diallo, Conde’s nearest rival with thirty-three and a half percent of the vote, said he has evidence of fraud and plans to file a complaint with the constitutional court.

READ:  UN Condemns 'Direct Attack' On Peacekeepers In South Sudan

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: