Connect with us

African News

Somali Soldiers Killed In Al-Shabab Attack Near Mogadishu

Published

on

Car BSomali Soldiers Killed In Al-Shabab Attack Near Mogadishuombs Shake Somali Military Base, Deaths Reported

Military officials in Somalia say at least 10 soldiers have been killed during an operation against Al-Shabaab militants 30km (18 miles) north-west of the capital, Mogadishu. Four militants were also reported killed.

READ:  Car Bombs Shake Somali Military Base, Deaths Reported

For 12 years now, Al-shabaab has been trying to overthrow Somalia’s internationally-recognized central government and establish its own rule, based on its strict interpretation of the Islamic law.

READ:  At Least 24 Migrants Drowned Off Libya - IOM

An army spokesman said the clash took place in Afgoye district.

Militant group, al-Shabaab issued a statement countering what the army had said. The group claimed 24 soldiers had been killed in the encounter with the military.

READ:  Three Somali Special Forces Killed, U.S. Officer Wounded In Car Bomb, Somali Official Says

African News

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has on Sunday said that he and his wife have tested positive for COVID- 19.

The minister who is now self-isolating tested after feeling tired and with a loss of appetite.

He is now self- isolating and says he’s optimistic that they will both recover fully.

READ:  Commander In Somali Al Shabaab Militant Group Killed

In order to reduce the risk of a second wave, Mkhize urged citizens to continue to take health precautions having become the fifth minister to catch the virus in South Africa.

On Monday, president Cyril Ramaphosa wished the health minister a speedy recovery after contracting coronavirus.

READ:  Netanyahu Says Israeli Planes Have Started Overflying Sudan

Ramaphosa in a tweet said “I wish you and your wife, Dr May Mkhize, a safe, restful and speedy recovery from #COVID19.”

He added “I also join the Minister in calling on all South Africans to remain careful and do all that we need to do to #StaySafe and help the country avoid a second wave of the pandemic.”

READ:  Sudan Military Council Calls For Immediate Accountability, Condemns Students' Killing

With more than 703,793 coronavirus cases with 18,471 deaths, South Africa remains the worst-hit by the pandemic on the continent.

Continue Reading

African News

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Published

on

By

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Madagascar has announced the end of the state of health emergency imposed to curb COVID-19- pandemic

The Madagascan government announced on Sunday, halt to the health emergency following the president Andry Rajoelina`s announcement that the country has had 96% recovery rate.

READ:  Kenya Declares National Mourning After President Moi's Death

Rajoelina attributed the recovery to some of the measures taken including the distribution of herbal- COVID-organics. The World Health Organization says there is no cure for the virus.

READ:  Burkina Faso: Police Fire Tear Gas To Disperse Protesters

Madagascar has recorded 16,000 coronavirus cases and 238 deaths.

Country’s borders remain closed due to the increase in cases in other countries. International flights to mainland Madagascar is completely suspended.

READ:  At Least 24 Migrants Drowned Off Libya - IOM

An airport –nosy is the only airport open to countries not suffering from a second wave of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Published

on

By

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.

Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

READ:  Sudan Military Council Calls For Immediate Accountability, Condemns Students' Killing

He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.

He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

READ:  Kenya Declares National Mourning After President Moi's Death

Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.

The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.

Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

READ:  Australia's Invictus Says No Oil, Gas Found Yet In Zimbabwe

Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: