Connect with us

World News

Presidential Debate: Trump Refuses To Take Part In Virtual TV Event

Published

on

Presidential Debate: Trump Refuses To Take Part In Virtual TV Event

United State President Donald Trump has on Thursday said he would not participate in a debate with Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Biden scheduled for next Thursday.

Trump’s decision came after a new format was announced by the debates commission in which each candidate would appear at remote locations.

The president in an interview with Fox Business Network’s Maria Bartiromo, said the new virtual format announced by the Commission on Presidential Debates was not acceptable to him.

Trump said, “I’m not gonna waste my time on a personal debate. Sit behind a computer, ridiculous. They cut you off… I’m not doing a virtual debate.”

READ:  NGO New Report Shows That Drug Makers Are Not Providing Enough Drugs To Poor Countries

In order to protect the health and safety of all involved the commission the decision to do a virtual debate was made. Last Thursday, Trump tested positive for COVID-19, raising concerns that he had infected Biden and moderator Chris Wallace during the first debate on the preceding Tuesday. Biden has tested negative.

He said the event should be held in person because he is not contagious.

The Biden campaign has signed on to the virtual debate format.

Earlier, the first and only U.S. Vice presidential debate between Mike Pence and Kamala Harris has been described as far more civil than last week’s debacle between president Donald Trump and former vice president Joe Biden.

READ:  Trump, Egypt's Sisi Agree On Need To End Libya Conflict - White House

The coronavirus pandemic was one of the most important topics of the night.  Harris said president Trump’s response to the pandemic is the greatest failure of any presidential administration in the history of the United States.

More than 210,000 Americans have died so far and at least 7.5 million have caught the virus, including Trump himself.

In his response, Pence defended president Trump, saying his administration has been very successful.

When asked about the rose garden event for Trump’s supreme court nominee Amy Coney Barrett that has been identified as the super-spreader event for the White House virus outbreak, Pence tried to defend the decision to hold the event even with attendees wearing no masks.

READ:  Niger Attacks: At Least 20 Killed In Tillaberi Villages 

Harris insists there is a worsening justice system in the country, and that justice did not prevail in the Breonna Taylor and George Floyd’s cases.

Biden and Harris both evaded many questions and decided to pivot to other topics they’d rather treat.

The next U.S. Presidential debate is scheduled for next Thursday.

World News

Iran Hits Back At US Sanctions Threat After Arms Embargo Expiry

Published

on

By

Iran Hits Back At US Sanctions Threat After Arms Embargo Expiry

Despite the United States protests to extend the United Nations arms embargo on Iran, the Middle East country is now free to import and export arms from and to any country as Tehran hailed the lifting of a 13-year UN arms embargo on their military as a momentous day.

The embargo which was lifted on Sunday morning was in line with the five-year timetable set out in the Iran nuclear deal, which was signed in 2015 which has been under intense pressure from Washington since President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from the accord two years ago.

READ:  India Reports Lowest Daily Coronavirus Increase In A Week

In August, the Trump administration had sought to extend the embargo but suffered a defeat at the UN Security Council, when Russia and China voted against the move and 11 powers, including the UK, France and Germany, abstained.

Iran’s foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif said the expiration of the embargo was a “momentous day” for the international community, which had defied the US’s “malign” efforts and protected the nuclear accord.

READ:  Trump, Egypt's Sisi Agree On Need To End Libya Conflict - White House

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned of consequences for any individuals or entities that conduct arms deals with Iran.

Pompeo said in a statement “every nation that seeks peace and stability in the Middle East and supports the fight against terrorism should refrain from any arms transactions with Iran,” he added that “providing arms to Iran will only aggravate tensions in the region.”

READ:  Russia And China Clash With Other UN Security Council Nations Over Cross-Border Aid For Syria

The expiration of the embargo, which the UN Security Council imposed in 2007, was agreed as one of the so-called sunset clauses in the accord.

Iran’s president Hassan Rouhani said this week that Tehran could import and export arms to “whoever we like as of Sunday”. But potential buyers will be wary of being targeted by secondary US sanctions.

Continue Reading

World News

Italy Tightens Rules Amid Surge In Coronavirus Cases

Published

on

By

Italy Tightens Rules Amid Surge In Coronavirus Cases

At the start of the coronavirus pandemic, Italy was the European nation hardest hit and now its number of fatalities place it second only after the United Kingdom in the continent, but amid a surge in coronavirus cases, Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte has on Sunday announced a new raft of measures to tighten restrictions.

READ:  Russia And China Clash With Other UN Security Council Nations Over Cross-Border Aid For Syria

The moves came as Italy recorded its highest daily infection rate for the second day in a row as the country recorded 10,925 new cases and another 11,705 on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

Italy has now recorded 414,000 confirmed coronavirus cases with more than 36,500 fatalities.

READ:  Buhari Raises Alarm Over "Misuse" Of Social Media

In a televised address by the prime minister, he said “We cannot waste time, we must put in place measures to avoid a generalized lockdown, which could severely compromise the economy.

Conte further urged everyone to do their part in fighting the pandemic as he added that “the most effective measures remain the basic precautions: mask, distance and hand hygiene. We must pay attention to situations where we let our guard down – with relatives and friends. In these situations, the maximum precaution is required.”

READ:  Dorian Survivors Desperate To Evacuate Bahamas As Death Toll Rises To 45

Continue Reading

World News

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Wins Second Term In Election Landslide

Published

on

By

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Wins Second Term In Election Landslide

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has on Saturday won a landslide victory in the country’s general election.

The prime minister leveraging on her success battling COVID-19 gained an unprecedented outright majority and the chance to implement her reform agenda.

So far, Ardern’s centre-left Labour Party has won 49% of the vote and she is projected to win a rare outright parliamentary majority with a forecast to take around 64 seats in the 120-member parliament.

READ:  NGO New Report Shows That Drug Makers Are Not Providing Enough Drugs To Poor Countries

The opposition centre-right National Party has admitted defeat in the poll as Judith Collins told cheering supporters in Auckland “congratulations on your result because it is, I believe, an outstanding result for the Labour Party. He said it has been a tough campaign.”

READ:  Ghanaian Scientists Design Beads That Detect Pneumonia

Ardern in a victory speech in front of hundreds of cheering supporters in Auckland said her party had gotten more support from New Zealanders that at any time in at least 50 years.

She said “this has not been an ordinary election, and it’s not an ordinary time,” adding that “It’s been full of uncertainty and anxiety, and we set out to be an antidote to that.”

READ:  Buhari Raises Alarm Over "Misuse" Of Social Media

Ardern had campaigned on her government’s success in eliminating community transmission of the virus, which has caused just 25 deaths in a population of five million.

The pandemic is just one of a string of crises that showed Ardern’s leadership qualities during a torrid first term.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: