Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.
A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.
Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.
He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.
He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.
Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.
The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.
Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.
Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.
Research Says Most IS Attacks Happen In Africa
The Global Terrorism Index an annual review of terrorism trends has found that sub-Saharan Africa saw the most attacks linked to the Islamic State group and its affiliates.
The review found that there were just under 14,000 deaths across the world linked to terrorism – the fifth consecutive year that figure had decreased.
The research also found that the largest decrease in deaths were in Nigeria and Afghanistan.
The largest increase in terrorism occurred in Burkina Faso – where deaths rose by 590%.
It also marks Mozambique, Mali and Niger as among the countries that have had a concerning increase in terrorist attacks.
The Global Terrorism Index developed by the think tank the Institute of Economics and Peace, warned that deteriorating economic conditions could make more people susceptible to extremist propaganda.
Fears Of Locust Swarms Grips East Africa
There are fears of a new wave of locust swarms invasion in east Africa. This week Kenya agriculture ministry of agriculture says it was standing in readiness to tackle the problem after locusts were spotted in a region bordering Somalia.
Locust swarms are a threat to food security. Kenya and its partners have budgeted 320 million dollars to deal with locust invasion.
A UN agency – Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) has warned of fresh waves of desert locust swarms in the horn of Africa region after cyclone Gati hit Somalia. It warned that the swarms would move south in Somalia and Ethiopia, reaching northern Kenya, from mid-December. UN says the scale of the migration could be substantial as the heavy rainfall in Somalia is expected to allow for widespread breeding.
Earlier in the year, billions of the insects destroyed crops across the region. It was the worst invasion of locusts for more than 70 years. The UN is warning that a second generation would be even be more destructive.
Cyclone Gati Displaces Thousands In Somalia
The United Nations Humanitarian Agency has said 42,000 persons have been displaced in Somalia by the tropical cyclone, Gati. The cyclone hit the coastal parts of northern Somalia on Sunday.
The UN agency says roads have been blocked as a result of flooding and aid is unable to get to the affected people.
The UN`s humanitarian agency citing authorities in Puntland state, Somalia estimates, that the cyclone may have directly or indirectly affected 180,000 persons.
Residents of Bossaso town are among those displaced as heavy rains continue in the coastal region.