Connect with us

African News

Guinea President Alpha Condé Wins Controversial Third Term

Published

on

Guinea`s incumbent president, Alpha Conde, has won re-election. A full preliminary tally from the election commission released on Saturday shows Conde won the October eighteenth poll with nearly sixty percent of the vote.

The 82-year-old Conde`s victory, once confirmed by the constitutional court, will give him a third term in office. The opposition had said the president had no right to participate in the election, but Conde says a constitutional referendum in march reset his two-term limit. Opponents say he is breaking the law by holding on to power.

Results showing conde`s lead has sparked street protests in opposition strongholds leading to at least 17 deaths. Gunfire rang out across Guinea’s capital, Conakry, on Friday as security forces dispersed protesters and soldiers patrolled the streets in trucks.

Former prime minister, Cellou Dalein Diallo, Conde’s nearest rival with thirty-three and a half percent of the vote, said he has evidence of fraud and plans to file a complaint with the constitutional court.

African News

Kenya Warns Of A Second Wave Of Desert Locust

Published

on

By

Kenya is facing a second wave of desert locust invasion. The latest data from the country’s ministry of agriculture show studies had indicated the destructive pests would invade the country from central Somalia in December.  Kenya’s agriculture cabinet secretary, Peter Munya, says his country has measures in place to contain the spread of the pest mainly in counties bordering Somalia.

Kenya and development partners, including Food and Agriculture Organization, FAO, has earmarked 320 million dollars to deal with the crisis and cautions farmers to be on the lookout.  Currently, some swarms of the desert locust have been spotted in Taita Taveta county, 350 kilometers south west of the capital Nairobi. Authorities say they have begun spraying with insecticides.

FAO country representative in Kenya, Carla Mucavi, says her organization is committed to supporting this fight so that Kenya can be food secure.

Continue Reading

African News

Trump Imposes New Rule For Some African Travellers

Published

on

By

The Trump administration has announced a new rule of entry into the U.S. for 15 African countries whose citizens will now have to post bonds of up to $15,000 when visiting the country.

The new temporary travel rule takes effect on Christmas eve and targets visitor and business visas.   Affected African countries include Angola, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cape Verde, Chad, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Djibouti.  Others are Eritrea, the Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Mauritania, Sao Tome and Principe, and the Sudan.

The us state department says this move will deter those who overstay their visas.

President Donald Trump had made restricting immigration a central part of his four-year term. The visa bond rule targets countries whose nationals had an “overstay rate” of 10% or higher last year and will now be required to pay a refundable bond of $5,000, $10,000 or $15,000.

Meanwhile, president-elect Joe Biden has pledged to reverse many of Trump`s immigration policies, but untangling hundreds of changes could take months or years.

Continue Reading

African News

Opposition Calls For Sanctions Against Tanzania Officials

Published

on

By

Tanzania’s opposition leader, Tundu Lissu has urged the international community to impose sanctions on state officials linked to human rights abuses in last month’s disputed general elections.

President John Magufuli won a second term in the election that was reported marred with violence and claims of fraud.

The UK and the united states said there had been systematic interference, but Tanzania’s electoral commission says there was no fraud.

Opposition leader Lissu has called on the international community in a tweet to “impose targeted sanctions, such as asset freezes, travel bans and such measures necessary to end the impunity. The opposition leader fled to Belgium soon after the election citing threats to his life. The government said there was no evidence of threats to opposition leaders.

He said the international community must hold president Magufuli’s regime and other enablers accountable for human rights abuses and crimes against humanity.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.