The Presidency has on Tuesday said the Presidential Panel on the Reform of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad has approved the five-point demands put forward by youths that have been protesting across the country.
In a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina titled, ‘Presidential panel on police reforms swings into action, plays 5-point demand of protesters’ he stated following directives by the President, Muhammadu Buhari on the dissolution of SARS, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, convened a meeting with the National Human Rights Commission and multi-stakeholders which included leaders and representatives of civil society organisations in Nigeria, activists from the entertainment industry and the #EndSARS movement and development partners.
The presidential spokesman quoted a communiqué of the meeting signed by the IGP and Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, Tony Ojukwu, as, “Following the public protests regarding various forms of human rights violations by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad and the consequent disbandment of the unit by the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, there arose the need for stakeholder engagement to build trust and restore public confidence in law enforcement
Earlier on Monday, the ongoing nationwide protests against the activities of the special anti-robbery squad, consumed the nation and turned bloody in Lagos. A protester was killed. Several others were injured or arrested by police.
Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, met with protesters on Monday and assured them he was taking their concerns to president Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja today, Tuesday.
All detained protesters in Lagos and Ogun states have been released.
Traffic was snarled in the commercial nerve center of the nation for many hours on Monday as protesters blocked major arteries.
Vice-president, Yemi Osinbajo has said in a statement on Monday that whatever police unit would replace the special anti-robbery squad must be “acceptable” and compliant with all the tenets of the rule of law and human rights.
The vice president said SARS disbandment is the first step to extensive police reforms.
Meanwhile, Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike, has banned the end SARS protests in the state. The ban has forestalled today’s planned protests in the state. The governor said protests are no longer necessary since the special anti-robbery squad has been banned by the inspector-general of police.
This has not deterred protesters who massively took to the streets to demonstrate.
Nigeria Needs N500bn Every Year For Three Years To Develop Road Network – Fashola
Nigeria’s minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola says the country needs half a trillion naira per year for three years to develop its roads network.
Fashola gave this figure while addressing the press corps of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, in Abuja on Monday.
The minister seems to lay some blame on past administrations whom he chastised for not showing as much commitment, quote, “as the president Muhammadu Buhari government.” He said if those past governments had shown such commitment, most of the thirty-five thousand kilometers of the country’s roads would have now been completed.
Fashola said the current administration inherited many roads, some dating back to 2006, and some older. He said the country was earning more from oil, at one hundred dollars per barrel, and the nation’s total budget was four trillion naira. Now, with forty dollars per barrel, Fashola said the country’s budget is thirteen trillion naira.
The minister said there are currently more than seven hundred contracts working on constructing or rehabilitating more than thirteen thousand kilometers out of the nation’s thirty-five thousand kilometers of roads.
South Korea’s Yoo Myung-Hee Reportedly Withdraws From WTO DG Race
Nigeria’s former finance minister, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, appears to be the lone ranger standing for the post of director-general of the World Trade Organization. This follows a report that her opponent, South Korea’s trade minister, Yoo Myung-Hee, is withdrawing her candidacy for the position.
South Korea is said to have informed the United States of the decision to drop out of consideration for the position because the trade minister had failed to garner enough support from every region.
Okonjo-Iweala secured wide margins of popular support, but her candidacy was put on hold because the U.S. had not supported her candidacy.
A newsletter, Washington Trade Daily, reports South Korea has already informed the United States of its decision which is expected to be made public in a matter of days.
Gombe Judge Petitions CJN, Alleges Illegal Exclusion from CJ List
Justice Beatrice Iliya of Gombe State High Court has petitioned the National Judicial Council (NJC) over the exclusion of her name from the list of judges to be considered for appointment as chief judge of Gombe State.
Meanwhile, president of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), Olumide Akpata, said, in reaction to Iliya’s exclusion, the NJC should stamp out discrimination in the country’s judiciary.
Justice Iliya contends the omission of her name from the list sent to the Njc by the Gombe State judicial service commission was a violation of the NJC directive on the appointment of a chief judge.
She says, as the most senior judge on the Gombe State High Court bench, there was no justification for her name not to be sent to the NJC.