Connect with us

Nigerian News

#EndSARS: Presidential Panel Approves Protesters’ Demands

Published

on

#EndSARS: Presidential Panel Approves Protesters’ Demands

The Presidency has on Tuesday said the Presidential Panel on the Reform of the now-disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad has approved the five-point demands put forward by youths that have been protesting across the country.

In a statement by the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina titled, ‘Presidential panel on police reforms swings into action, plays 5-point demand of protesters’ he stated following directives by the President, Muhammadu Buhari on the dissolution of SARS, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, convened a meeting with the National Human Rights Commission and multi-stakeholders which included leaders and representatives of civil society organisations in Nigeria, activists from the entertainment industry and the #EndSARS movement and development partners.

READ:  Court Admits Exhibit In Alleged N6.8b Fraud Trial Of Ex-MD Of NAMA, Others

The presidential spokesman quoted a communiqué of the meeting signed by the IGP and Executive Secretary of the National Human Rights Commission, Tony Ojukwu, as, “Following the public protests regarding various forms of human rights violations by the Special Anti-Robbery Squad and the consequent disbandment of the unit by the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, there arose the need for stakeholder engagement to build trust and restore public confidence in law enforcement

Earlier on Monday, the ongoing nationwide protests against the activities of the special anti-robbery squad, consumed the nation and turned bloody in Lagos. A protester was killed. Several others were injured or arrested by police.

READ:  Nigerians Offered Free Flight To Flee Xenophobic Attacks In South Africa

Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, met with protesters on Monday and assured them he was taking their concerns to president Muhammadu Buhari in Abuja today, Tuesday.

All detained protesters in Lagos and Ogun states have been released.

Traffic was snarled in the commercial nerve center of the nation for many hours on Monday as protesters blocked major arteries.

Vice-president, Yemi Osinbajo has said in a statement on Monday that whatever police unit would replace the special anti-robbery squad must be “acceptable” and compliant with all the tenets of the rule of law and human rights.

READ:  Taraba Speaker, Abel Diah Resigns 

The vice president said SARS disbandment is the first step to extensive police reforms.

Meanwhile, Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike, has banned the end SARS protests in the state.  The ban has forestalled today’s planned protests in the state.  The governor said protests are no longer necessary since the special anti-robbery squad has been banned by the inspector-general of police.

This has not deterred protesters who massively took to the streets to demonstrate.

Nigerian News

End SARS: Sanwo-Olu Needs N1trillion To Reconstruct Lagos State – Gbajabiamila

Published

on

By

End SARS: Sanwo-Olu Needs N1trillion To Reconstruct Lagos State – Gbajabiamila

As Lagos State government eases curfew from 6 am to 8 pm, governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu says, as a result of wanton destruction of public assets by hoodlums, rebuilding the state will cost one trillion naira.

Lagos was the epicentre of the #EndSARS protests.  The city experienced massive looting, arson and destruction Wednesday to Friday.  Many have attributed these acts to anger arising from the attacks by the Nigerian military on young unarmed protesters at the Lekki toll gate.

READ:  Taraba Speaker, Abel Diah Resigns 

Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, visited Lagos state governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu in Lagos on Sunday during which they discussed the estimated cost of repairing damages in the state.

READ:  British PM Johnson's Top Team Meet To Plot Brexit Gambit

Among other public assets destroyed are 89 new city buses burnt down in Oyingbo and Berger where they were parked.

Also burnt are the forensic and DNA centre, the Igbosere High Court, local government secretariat buildings, hundreds of vehicles, street lights, and other public buildings scattered across the state.

READ:  Air Peace Sacks Pilots Over Coronavirus Pandemic

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

NCDC Reports 62 New Cases Of COVID-19

Published

on

By

Nigeria Centre for Disease Control posted sixty-two new cases of coronavirus infections in eleven states on Sunday.

Plateau State led the pack with 18 new infections.  Ogun had 15, while the Federal Capital Territory and eight other states all recorded new infections in single digits.

READ:  INEC Bans APC From Fielding Candidates In Zamfara

The new figure pushes up total infections in the country to 61,992.  57,000 coronavirus patients have recovered and have been discharged nationwide.

The death toll now stands at eleven hundred thirty.  Nigeria has now tested more than 600,000 persons.

READ:  British PM Johnson's Top Team Meet To Plot Brexit Gambit

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

NBC Fines Channels, Arise TV, AIT Over #EndSARS Coverage

Published

on

By

The National Broadcasting Commission has on Monday slammed sanctions on some major broadcast stations in Nigeria for what it termed “unprofessional coverage” of the #EndSARS protests over the past few weeks.

READ:  Gbenga Daniel Quits Politics, Shows Interest In APC

Announcing the move, at a press conference in Abuja, Prof. Armstrong Idachaba who is acting Director-General of the broadcasting regulating body said the affected media houses including Arise News, African Independent Television (AIT) and Channels Television were fined between N2 million and N3 million each for flouting the provisions of the Nigerian broadcasting code.

READ:  FG To Make Decision On Minimum Wage

Earlier, NBC had warned all television and radio stations against reporting the #EndSARS protests in a manner that could embarrass the government or private individuals or cause disaffection, incite to panic or rift in the society.

READ:  80 Passengers Tested Positive Seven Days After Arrival – PTF

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: