Connect with us

African News

WHO Plans 20% Vaccine Access For Africa

Published

on

WHO Plans 20% Vaccine Access For Africa

The World Health Organization (W.H.O) says it’s aiming to secure initial 20 per cent, or 230 million doses of COVID-19 vaccine for the continent.  Officials said on Thursday, any available COVID-19 vaccine for Africa will be obtained, while emphasizing that any vaccine in development should also be tested on the continent.

The global vaccine allocation plan, called COVAX, aims to help buy and fairly distribute 2 billion doses of approved vaccines by the end of 2021.

READ:  Zimbabwe Arrests Mnangagwa Critic Over Facebook Post

W.H.O.’s Africa programme area manager, Richard Mihigo, told an online news conference that, the initial batch will cover one fifth of the African population, initially prioritizing front line, health care workers, then expanding to cover vulnerable groups.

READ:  Leaked Police Report Shows Why Daura Ordered NASS Blockade

The scheme has nine covid-19 vaccine candidates covering a range of technologies and scientific approaches. Some are in late-stage clinical trials and could have data available by year-end.

It is reported that only two of the potential covid-19 vaccines are being tested in Africa. Head of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and prevention, John Nkengasong, told an online news conference that talks with COVAX would supplement other negotiations with nations such as China, Canada and the united states over securing access to shots.

READ:  DRC Army Donates Trucks To Electoral Commission

Nkengasong said the continent has fared better than expected. The number of new cases fell 11% in the past four weeks.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Tunisian Leader Proposes Death Sentence For Murderers

Published

on

By

Tunisian Leader Proposes Death Sentence For Murderers

Tunisian president Kais Saied has said murderers should be sentenced to death following the rape and killing of a young woman in the north African country.

President Saied told a national security council meeting on Tuesday, “those who commit murder should be sentenced to death.

READ:  Ali Bongo Leaves Moroccan Hospital

The public outrage over the woman’s murder –a 29-year-old Rahma Lahmar, sparked calls for executions to restart. Lahmar, went missing for a few days and her mutilated body was found north of the capital, Tunis, on Friday last week after she had been raped.

READ:  Nigerian Journalist Wins African Fact-checking Award

Police say they have arrested a suspect who has since confessed to the killing. Many in the country are calling for the killer to be hanged. Tunisia abolished the death penalty in 1991.

READ:  U.N. Peacekeeper Killed, Four Wounded In Mali Mine Attack 

Continue Reading

African News

South African Airways Suspends Operations Over Funding

Published

on

By

South African Airways Suspends Operations Over Funding

South Africa`s national carrier, South African Airways’ operations have been suspended with immediate effect.

SAA administrators said they were putting the struggling state-owned carrier under “care and maintenance” until funding for a restructuring plan was found.

READ:  King Mohammed Calls On Moroccan Government To Do More

Some media reports say, this means the airline will not schedule any further flights after completing repatriation flights that have already been scheduled.

The airline was put in bankruptcy protection in December after heavy financial losses in the past few years. The COVID-19 pandemic has worsened the situation.

READ:  Pope Francis Apologizes For Crimes Of The Catholic Church In Ireland

Continue Reading

African News

Ivory Coast Lifts Ban On Protests Ahead Of Polls

Published

on

By

Ivory Coast Lifts Ban On Protests Ahead Of Polls

Ivory Coast has lifted a ban on protests. The ban on public demonstrations in the country ends today, Wednesday just as the opposition plans to begin a campaign of civil disobedience against president Alassane Ouattara’s third term bid.

President Ouattara’s candidacy has caused tension in the country and led to protests. At least 10 persons have been killed since riots broke out last month.

READ:  Covid-19: DR Congo Eases Lockdown In Capital

The opposition is demanding changes to the constitutional court, the electoral commission, and the withdrawal of Ouattara’s candidacy. President Ouattara has accused the opposition of scaring the public in order to disrupt the electoral process.

Ivory coast authorities have barred political candidates including former president Laurent Gbagbo and former prime minister Guillaume Soro from running because of previous convictions. Their supporters have condemned the government for excluding them from the presidential election and threatened to hold protests.

READ:  Leaked Police Report Shows Why Daura Ordered NASS Blockade

International crisis group has urged the Ivorian authorities to allow former president Laurent Gbagbo and exiled ex-speaker Guillaume Soro to return to the country.

The United Nations special envoy for west Africa -Mohamed Ibn Chambas during a visit to Abidjan last week, urged peaceful elections in ivory coast as the nation prepares to head to the poll in October.

READ:  Nigerian Journalist Wins African Fact-checking Award

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: