Connect with us

World News

US Revokes Visas For 1,000 Chinese Students Deemed Security Risk

Published

on

China Imposes Curbs On U.S. Diplomats In Response To U.S. Move

The United States has on Wednesday said it revoked visas for more than 1,000 Chinese nationals under a May 29 presidential proclamation to suspend entry from China of students and researchers deemed security risks.

According to the US Department of State the visa action was being taken under the proclamation as part of the US response to China’s plans to impose national security legislation on Hong Kong.

READ:  China Says All Coronavirus Patients In Wuhan Have Now Been Discharged

A State Department spokeswoman told Reuters news agency that “as of September 8, 2020, the department has revoked more than 1,000 visas of PRC nationals who were found to be subject to Presidential Proclamation 10043 and therefore ineligible for a visa.”

READ:  Sanna Marin Of Finland To Become World's Youngest PM At 34

She further described those declined a visa as “high-risk graduate students and research scholars.”

Earlier, the acting head of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Chad Wolf said that Washington was blocking visas “for certain Chinese graduate students and researchers with ties to China’s military fusion strategy to prevent them from stealing and otherwise appropriating sensitive research.”

READ:  Sudan: Gunshots, Tear Gas Fired At Protesters In Khartoum

Since the beginning of the Trump administration, China-US relations have sunk to historic lows, with the world’s two biggest economies clashing over issues ranging from trade and human rights to Hong Kong and recently the coronavirus pandemic.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Videos

Argentina Rising COVID-19 Delays School Reopening / ANN News

Published

on

By

Argentina Rising COVID-19 Delays School Reopening / ANN News

READ:  Pakistan: Four Killed In Attack On Karachi Stock Exchange
Continue Reading

World News

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Published

on

By

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Protesters in Belarus are still angry in their sixth week of mass protests demanding the resignation of president Alexander Lukashenko.

The president has announced, in retaliation, he is putting troops on high alert and closing the country’s borders with Poland and Lithuania.  He also said the Belarusian border with Ukraine would be strengthened.

READ:  UN Says More Than 100 Killed In Syria Air Strikes In Past 10 Days

Lukashenko insists the six weeks of protests are driven by the west. He faces increasing criticism from the united states and the European Union.

Demonstrations began after the disputed august presidential election official results gave the authoritarian leader a sixth term in office–results opponents say were manipulated.

READ:  Hong Kong Readies For Further Protests After Huge, Peaceful Rally

Continue Reading

World News

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Published

on

By

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Bolivia’s interim president Jeanine Anez has withdrawn from next month’s presidential election, saying she’s withdrawing in the interest of the party.

Anez, a former conservative senator, took office during the power vacuum that followed former president Morales’s departure after allegations of irregularities in last year’s election.  Those allegations fueled violent protests, and army pressure forced the country’s first indigenous president into exile in Mexico.

READ:  Australia To Force Google And Facebook To Pay For Content

Anez says if she does not step down, Morales would possibly return to power.

She declined to name the candidate for whom she will vote.

Next month’s election is the delayed rerun of last year’s ballot.  Anez’s candidacy had sparked controversy after she initially ruled herself out and pledged to guide the country to transparent new elections.

READ:  Boris Johnson To Attempt Outlawing Brexit Extension Beyond 2020

By pulling out of the race, analysts say Anez could increase chances that the election will be pushed to a second round by consolidating the anti-Arce vote.

READ:  New Zealand Mosque Shootings: Brenton Tarrant Pleads Guilty To 51 Murders

To avoid a second round, the election winner requires at least 40 percent of valid votes in the first round and a 10-point advantage over the closest competitor.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: