Connect with us

African News

UN Envoy Urges ‘Peaceful, Inclusive’ Vote In Ivory Coast

Published

on

UN Envoy Urges 'Peaceful, Inclusive' Vote In Ivory Coast

The United Nations special envoy for west Africa has urged peaceful elections in Ivory Coast as the nation prepares to head to the poll in October.

The U.N. Diplomat Mohamed Ibn Chambas during a week-long visit to Abidjan met president Alassane Ouattara who is running for a third term. He also met three of the president’s challengers, electoral body officials and civil society representatives.

READ:  UN Says Violence In DRC May Be Crime Against Humanity

He urged all actors to ensure a peaceful, inclusive election and respect human rights.

President Ouattara’s candidacy has caused tension in the country and led to protests. At least 10 persons have been killed since riots broke out last month after president Ouattara announced his candidacy.

READ:  Ethiopia Plans To End Child Marriage, FGM By 2024

Ivory Coast’s main presidential election challenger, Henri Konan Bédié, called for a campaign of civil disobedience to stop the president from seeking a third term, after his preferred successor died.

READ:  Boko Haram Kills Six Traders In Nigeria

Several candidates including former president Laurent Gbagbo and former prime minister Guillaume Soro have been barred from running because of previous convictions.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has on Sunday said that he and his wife have tested positive for COVID- 19.

The minister who is now self-isolating tested after feeling tired and with a loss of appetite.

He is now self- isolating and says he’s optimistic that they will both recover fully.

READ:  Boko Haram Kills Six Traders In Nigeria

In order to reduce the risk of a second wave, Mkhize urged citizens to continue to take health precautions having become the fifth minister to catch the virus in South Africa.

On Monday, president Cyril Ramaphosa wished the health minister a speedy recovery after contracting coronavirus.

READ:  Trump Says He Would 'No Longer Deal' With UK Envoy

Ramaphosa in a tweet said “I wish you and your wife, Dr May Mkhize, a safe, restful and speedy recovery from #COVID19.”

He added “I also join the Minister in calling on all South Africans to remain careful and do all that we need to do to #StaySafe and help the country avoid a second wave of the pandemic.”

READ:  Sudan Arrests Top Military General, Officers Over Foiled Coup

With more than 703,793 coronavirus cases with 18,471 deaths, South Africa remains the worst-hit by the pandemic on the continent.

Continue Reading

African News

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Published

on

By

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Madagascar has announced the end of the state of health emergency imposed to curb COVID-19- pandemic

The Madagascan government announced on Sunday, halt to the health emergency following the president Andry Rajoelina`s announcement that the country has had 96% recovery rate.

READ:  Herdsmen Attack In Benue: Eight Killed, Homes Burnt

Rajoelina attributed the recovery to some of the measures taken including the distribution of herbal- COVID-organics. The World Health Organization says there is no cure for the virus.

READ:  Governing Coalition Split Threatens To Aggravate Political Instability In Ivory Coast

Madagascar has recorded 16,000 coronavirus cases and 238 deaths.

Country’s borders remain closed due to the increase in cases in other countries. International flights to mainland Madagascar is completely suspended.

READ:  GAVI Urges Private Sector In Africa To Invest In Health Sector

An airport –nosy is the only airport open to countries not suffering from a second wave of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Published

on

By

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.

Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

READ:  11 Taxi Drivers Killed By Gunmen In South Africa

He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.

He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

READ:  Trump Says He Would 'No Longer Deal' With UK Envoy

Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.

The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.

Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

READ:  President Ali Bongo's Health Has Greatly Improved - Presidency

Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: