Connect with us

African News

Three Soldiers Killed In Ambush In Central Mali – Ministry

Published

on

Mali’s Ministry of Defense and Veterans Affairs has on Thursday confirmed that three Malian soldiers have been killed and five others missing in an ambush on Wednesday in the country’s central region of Segou.

The ministry said in a press release “on September 9, at around 2:30 p.m., a patrol team of the FAMa (Malian Armed Forces) was ambushed by terrorist armed groups at about 3 km from their camp near Diabaly, region of Segou,” adding that three soldiers died along with five missing.

Ten soldiers, according to the ministry, were killed in an attack on 3 September in Guire, region of Koulikoro. Four gendarmes and four soldiers were killed on 22 and 27 August respectively in the central Mopti region.

Also on August 22, four Malian gendarmes and four Malian soldiers were killed respectively and 27 in Mali’s central region of Mopti.

Since the military overthrew President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita on August 18 leading to political instability in the country four different attacks have been carried out on the Malian security forces and no individual or group has claimed responsibility for any.

African News

COVID-19 Infections Spike Among Mozambique Health Workers

Published

on

By

Mozambican authorities have expressed concern over increasing numbers of medical staff infected with the coronavirus. Local officials say their major concern is that the health services are understaffed, with a poor doctor to patient ratio. They fear a rapid spread of the virus among health workers would cause capacity collapse.

In the northern province of Nampula alone, more than 40 health workers have tested positive for the virus over the weekend.  Some 133 health professionals have contracted the virus in the same area since last year. No deaths were recorded. Many in the country have been accused of flouting COVID-19 rules.

Meanwhile, education authorities in the capital, Maputo, say dozens of students have tested positive for COVID-19. Provincial education director, Deolinda Cossa, says 40 students had been infected and are now in isolation.

The governor of Maputo province, Júlio Parruque, urged schools to intensify enforcement of public health measures in order to reverse the situation.

Continue Reading

African News

Tunisia Arrests Hundreds As Riots Over Economic Crisis Enter Third Night

Published

on

By

Continued protests in Tunisia have entered the fourth consecutive night on Sunday. Clashes between protesters and police were reported in the Tunisian capital, Tunis, and several other cities across the country. The protests began during the renewed start of covid-19 lockdown on Thursday.

Authorities say more than 200 persons have been arrested. Interior ministry spokesman, Khaled Hayouni, said earlier on Sunday, dozens of young people, mostly between 14 and 17 years old, had been arrested after they took to the streets during previous evenings, to loot and vandalize shops, banks and property.

The protesters weren’t making any clear demands. But there has been widespread dissatisfaction in Tunisia, about severe economic problems, rising prices, and thirty percent youth unemployment.

The country’s revolution 10 years ago ushered in democracy, but hopes that this would bring more jobs and opportunities have been dashed.

Some say these are not protests, because they are not held during the day, when faces are visible.

Despite the revolution a decade ago, many Tunisians are increasingly angered by poor public services and the political class, with high consumer prices, shrinking GDP and about a third of young people unemployed.

The health crisis and ensuing economic misery have pushed growing numbers of Tunisians to seek to leave the country.

Videos circulating on social media showed young people burning tyres, insulting the police and looting shops.

Sousse, usually a magnet for foreign holidaymakers but hit hard by the pandemic, also saw rioting.

Tunisia had been under a night-time curfew even before the recent lockdown, a four-day measure meant to expire on Sunday at midnight.

Continue Reading

African News

Thousands Displaced By Heavy Rains, Flooding In Burundi

Published

on

By

Heavy rains and flooding in Burundi have displaced thousands of people from their homes. Two regions, the Gatumba and Mutimbuzi, located very near to the nation`s capital, Bujumbura, have experienced heavy floods since Monday, last week after Rusizi River, (a tributary of Lake Tanganyika), overflowed causing havoc. Victims are now asking for protection.

Environmental experts, say, in addition to the effects of climate change, this situation is aggravated by poor land planning.

Flood victims are asking the government or other benefactors to build dikes to protect the Rusizi river from flooding their city. This is the second time the region has been affected by flooding in under a year. In May, floods reportedly displaced more than 27 thousand persons, majority of them still living in the displaced sites.

The national platform for risk prevention and disaster management has recommended that people be relocated from this border area.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.