Connect with us

African News

Police Officer, Three Assailants Killed In Tunisian Resort Attack

Published

on

Police Officer, Three Assailants Killed In Tunisian Resort Attack

Security officials in Tunisia say three assailants, described as suspected terrorists, were shot dead after they attacked and killed a police officer and wounded another in a knife attack in the coastal resort of Sousse on Sunday.

The suspected militants rammed their vehicle into a national guard checkpoint at a junction near the city’s port.

READ:  Chinese Tea Makers To Set Up Plants In Morocco

The latest incident comes two days after a new government was sworn in.

National guard spokesman Houcem Eddine Jebabli said, the knifemen stole guns and a police vehicle with which they got away after the attack.  Security forces took off after them through the tourist areas of el Kantaoui.

READ:  Burkina Faso Extends State Of Emergency In North By Six Months

Five years ago, an Islamic state militant shot dead 39 foreigners on a beach in Sousse, triggering an exodus of tourists and severely damaging Tunisia’s economy.

Since then, foreign diplomats say, the country has grown more effective in preventing and responding to attacks.

Kantaoui is a district full of hotels currently empty as tourists stay away during the Coronavirus pandemic.

READ:  Tunisia Suspends All International Flights, Closes Its Land Borders - PM

The last serious attack in Tunisia was in March, when two militants on a motorbike blew themselves up outside the U.S. embassy in Tunis, killing a policeman and wounding several others.

African News

ECOWAS Hints At Lifting Mali Sanctions

Published

on

By

ECOWAS Hints At Lifting Mali Sanctions

Leaders of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) have hinted on lifting sanctions earlier imposed on Mali in the wake of last month’s coup.  Imports to land-locked Mali have slumped since the imposition of a trade embargo.

READ:  IS Militants Impose Heavy Taxes On Traders And Companies In Somalia

ECOWAS envoy, Nigerian former president, Goodluck Jonathan said Mali military officers, who overthrew president Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta, were acceding to international calls for a transition to civilian rule.

READ:  Cameroon Rebels Declare Ceasefire Amid Covid-19 Pandemic

The military junta announced a former minister of defence, Bah Nda`Oh, as interim leader that would oversee a transition to a civilian-led government. Coup leader, Colonel Assimi Goita, has been named vice-president.

READ:  Buhari Govt Pampering Terrorists - Clerics Join Calls For Sack Of Service Chiefs

Continue Reading

African News

Cameroon: Protesters Call For End To Bloodshed From Anglophone Crisis

Published

on

By

Cameroon: Protesters Call For End To Bloodshed From Anglophone Crisis

Protesters in Cameroon have called for a ceasefire and negotiations to end a long-running conflict between Anglophone separatists and security forces. More than 3,000 lives have so far been lost in the conflict. The protesters are also demanding a reform of the electoral system.

READ:  Military Troops To Remain In Niger Delta

Police and soldiers had taken up positions in several cities, including Douala, and the capital-Yaounde, since opposition leader, Maurice Kamto, called for a peaceful demonstration.

Police used tear gas and water cannon to break up a protest by hundreds of people in Cameroon’s economic capital Douala on Tuesday.  They were calling for an end to bloodshed in the country’s Anglophone regions.  At least one protester was reported killed.

READ:  Chinese Tea Makers To Set Up Plants In Morocco

Last month Kamto, head of the movement for the rebirth of Cameroon and runner-up to president Paul Biya in a 2018 election, labelled Biya`s government a “kleptocracy.” Kamto accused 87-year-old Biya of “ruling through disdain and terror,” and urged a “giant campaign calling for the pure and simple departure of Paul Biya from power.”

READ:  Check Out All 24 Countries For 2019 AFCON Tournament

Continue Reading

African News

Ghana’s Nurses And Midwives Call Off Strike

Published

on

By

Ghanaian nurses and midwives have called off their indefinite strike to resume work today following the government’s promise to conclude negotiations within a month.

The nurses and midwives are demanding better terms of service including rent and transport allowances.

READ:  Ivory Coast's President Names New Government

The strike left many patients stranded, and some dead, in medical facilities across the country.

The National Labour Commission secured a court order to enforce an earlier injunction meant to end the strike and compel the healthcare workers to continue negotiations with the government.

READ:  Military Troops To Remain In Niger Delta

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: