Connect with us

World News

North Korea Apologizes For ‘Unfortunate’ Killing Of South Korean Official

Published

on

North Korea Apologizes For 'Unfortunate' Killing Of South Korean Official

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has apologized for the killing of a South Korean official, an incident which could have been a disaster for any hopes of rekindling talks between the South and the North.

According to a report by Yonhap news agency on Friday Kim reportedly told his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in that the “disgraceful affair” should not have happened.

Earlier on Monday, a South Korean fisheries official disappeared from a fisheries patrol boat when it was about 10km (six miles) south of the Northern Limit Line (NLL), a disputed line of military control that acts as the de facto maritime boundary between the two Koreas.

READ:  Egyptian Delegation Meets Hamas After Discussion With Israeli Officials

On Thursday, South Korea said on Thursday the 47-year-old man had been shot dead by North Korean troops and his body burned.

In a message to Seoul, Kim said he felt “very sorry” for “disappointing” South Korean President Moon Jae-in.

READ:  Cambodian Court Jails Australian Filmmaker For Six Years For Espionage

News agency reported that the North said it had conducted its own investigation into the incident and found that soldiers near its western sea border had fired at least 10 shots at the South Korean. The border between the Koreas is tightly policed, and the North is thought to have a “shoot-to-kill” policy in place to prevent coronavirus from entering the country.

READ:  China Reports No New Local Coronavirus Transmissions For First Time

However, the North insisted that it had not burned the man’s body but rather the “floating material” that was carrying him.

Also, some experts were skeptical of claims that the man had been trying to defect to a country that has seen more than 30,000 North Koreans fleeing to South Korea in the past two decades, defections from South to North are rare.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Iran Hits Back At US Sanctions Threat After Arms Embargo Expiry

Published

on

By

Iran Hits Back At US Sanctions Threat After Arms Embargo Expiry

Despite the United States protests to extend the United Nations arms embargo on Iran, the Middle East country is now free to import and export arms from and to any country as Tehran hailed the lifting of a 13-year UN arms embargo on their military as a momentous day.

The embargo which was lifted on Sunday morning was in line with the five-year timetable set out in the Iran nuclear deal, which was signed in 2015 which has been under intense pressure from Washington since President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from the accord two years ago.

READ:  Boeing Pledges $100 Million For 737 MAX Crash-Related Support

In August, the Trump administration had sought to extend the embargo but suffered a defeat at the UN Security Council, when Russia and China voted against the move and 11 powers, including the UK, France and Germany, abstained.

Iran’s foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif said the expiration of the embargo was a “momentous day” for the international community, which had defied the US’s “malign” efforts and protected the nuclear accord.

READ:  Prince Charles Condemns Slavery, Climate Change In Africa

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned of consequences for any individuals or entities that conduct arms deals with Iran.

Pompeo said in a statement “every nation that seeks peace and stability in the Middle East and supports the fight against terrorism should refrain from any arms transactions with Iran,” he added that “providing arms to Iran will only aggravate tensions in the region.”

READ:  WHO Suspends Hydroxychloroquine Trials For COVID-19

The expiration of the embargo, which the UN Security Council imposed in 2007, was agreed as one of the so-called sunset clauses in the accord.

Iran’s president Hassan Rouhani said this week that Tehran could import and export arms to “whoever we like as of Sunday”. But potential buyers will be wary of being targeted by secondary US sanctions.

Continue Reading

World News

Italy Tightens Rules Amid Surge In Coronavirus Cases

Published

on

By

Italy Tightens Rules Amid Surge In Coronavirus Cases

At the start of the coronavirus pandemic, Italy was the European nation hardest hit and now its number of fatalities place it second only after the United Kingdom in the continent, but amid a surge in coronavirus cases, Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte has on Sunday announced a new raft of measures to tighten restrictions.

READ:  China Reports No New Local Coronavirus Transmissions For First Time

The moves came as Italy recorded its highest daily infection rate for the second day in a row as the country recorded 10,925 new cases and another 11,705 on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

Italy has now recorded 414,000 confirmed coronavirus cases with more than 36,500 fatalities.

READ:  WHO Suspends Hydroxychloroquine Trials For COVID-19

In a televised address by the prime minister, he said “We cannot waste time, we must put in place measures to avoid a generalized lockdown, which could severely compromise the economy.

Conte further urged everyone to do their part in fighting the pandemic as he added that “the most effective measures remain the basic precautions: mask, distance and hand hygiene. We must pay attention to situations where we let our guard down – with relatives and friends. In these situations, the maximum precaution is required.”

READ:  Four Children Have Died In A House Fire In Stafford

Continue Reading

World News

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Wins Second Term In Election Landslide

Published

on

By

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Wins Second Term In Election Landslide

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has on Saturday won a landslide victory in the country’s general election.

The prime minister leveraging on her success battling COVID-19 gained an unprecedented outright majority and the chance to implement her reform agenda.

So far, Ardern’s centre-left Labour Party has won 49% of the vote and she is projected to win a rare outright parliamentary majority with a forecast to take around 64 seats in the 120-member parliament.

READ:  Prince Charles Condemns Slavery, Climate Change In Africa

The opposition centre-right National Party has admitted defeat in the poll as Judith Collins told cheering supporters in Auckland “congratulations on your result because it is, I believe, an outstanding result for the Labour Party. He said it has been a tough campaign.”

READ:  WHO Suspends Hydroxychloroquine Trials For COVID-19

Ardern in a victory speech in front of hundreds of cheering supporters in Auckland said her party had gotten more support from New Zealanders that at any time in at least 50 years.

She said “this has not been an ordinary election, and it’s not an ordinary time,” adding that “It’s been full of uncertainty and anxiety, and we set out to be an antidote to that.”

READ:  White House Denies Claim Trump Offered Pardon Deal To Julian Assange

Ardern had campaigned on her government’s success in eliminating community transmission of the virus, which has caused just 25 deaths in a population of five million.

The pandemic is just one of a string of crises that showed Ardern’s leadership qualities during a torrid first term.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: