Connect with us

Nigerian News

NCDC Reports 111 New COVID-19 Cases, Total Now 57,724

Published

on

Nigeria Records 58 New Covid-19 Cases

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, has added one hundred eleven new cases of COVID-19 to the country’s tally on Wednesday.  The health agency now puts the total at nearly fifty-eight thousand.

The agency reports one hundred forty-nine persons were discharged after being successfully treated and had recovered from the coronavirus.  Two patients were said to have died of the disease between Tuesday and Wednesday.

READ:  Nigeria Records 195 New COVID-19 Cases

The new cases were reported from 12 states and the Federal Capital Territory, FCT.

Lagos recorded 31 cases, followed by Gombe and Kaduna with 18 each, and the FCT with 15.

READ:  Collation Updates: Atiku Wins FCT, Buhari Wins In Kogi, Nasarawa, Kwara, Ekiti And Osun States

Rivers recorded 14 new cases.  Imo, Kwara and Oyo each showed three new infections, Bayelsa and Ogun two each.  Edo and Osun recorded one each.

READ:  Nigeria's Coronavirus Cases Jump By Single-Day Record Of 117 Cases

The NCDC says fifty-seven thousand seven hundred twenty-four cases have been confirmed, with nearly forty-nine thousand patients discharged.  The country’s death toll stands at one thousand one hundred and two.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nigerian News

Tambuwal To Buhari:  Withdraw Onochie’s Nomination Immediately

Published

on

By

Tambuwal To Buhari:  Withdraw Onochie's Nomination Immediately

It was just a few days ago that president Muhammadu Buhari added the name of his social media aide, Lauretta Onochie to the list of nominees as a commissioner of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, but Onochie’s nomination started gathering opposition almost immediately the list was sent to the senate for confirmation.

READ:  Lagos Health Commissioner Says Covid-19 Tests Are Free In Lagos

Now, governor of Sokoto State, Aminu Tambuwal has demanded that the president immediately withdraw Onochie’s nomination.

While swearing in members of the state independent electoral commission on Wednesday, the governor said Onochie is not right for the country’s democracy as she is well known to be partisan.  He said her nomination should be withdrawn in the best interest of the country’s electoral system.  He then called on the upper legislative chamber to reject Onochie’s nomination if the president fails to withdraw it.

READ:  Nigerian Army Assures Farmers Of Security

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Ganduje Reacts To Formation Of New Police Unit, Makes Demands

Published

on

By

Ganduje Reacts To Formation Of New Police Unit, Makes Demands

The Kano State governor, Abdullahi Ganduje says the formation of the Special Weapons And Tactics (SWAT) unit of the Nigeria Police Force is a step in the right direction.

News Agency of Nigeria reports Ganduje said this while commending president Muhammadu Buhari for the formation of the new unit which the Inspector-General of Police had formed to replace the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

READ:  COVID-19: Lagos State Discharges Another 7 Patients

Ganduje said the SWAT team would help in combatting crime in the country. The governor said unlike youths in other parts of the country who had been protesting, his state’s youths had decided not to condemn the police as an institution but the few bad eggs among them.

READ:  Tribunal Rejects Atiku, PDP's Request To Access INEC's Server

The governor said the youths of the state are agitating for institutional reforms of the police.

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

#EndSARS Protests Taking Violent Turn

Published

on

By

#EndSARS Protests Taking Violent Turn

#EndSARS protesters in Lagos on Thursday faced a situation that was similar to an occurrence earlier in the week in Abuja – infiltration by hoodlums. Today’s protests in #Alausa were punctuated by an attack as they marched by the Governor’s Office, State Secretariat and House of Assembly.

Dozens of young men were seen flashing weapons like knives and machetes. The occurrence changed the largely peaceful marches that started a week ago.

READ:  Tribunal Rejects Atiku, PDP's Request To Access INEC's Server

Meanwhile, similar occurrence is being denounced by Pain State government which says the ongoing #EndSARS protest has been hijacked by hoodlums.

Secretary to the state government, Prince Wole Oyebamiji said in a statement on Wednesday evening that the peaceful protests had been taken over by some hoodlums with “ulterior motives and evil intentions.”

READ:  Uganda Eases Restrictions Despite Virus Surge

He said the hoodlums whom he labeled as “criminal elements” were shooting into the air at the State Secretariat gate and even held workers hostage for some hours.

Oyebamiji said the state does not want the armed mob that is bent on harming peaceful protesters in the state. He said the government will carry out its responsibility of protecting its citizens and would not allow hoodlums to take over the street in the state.

READ:  NCDC Confirms 120 New COVID-19 Cases

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: