Connect with us

African News

Health Chief Hails African Leadership In COVID-19 Fight

Published

on

Health Chief Hails African Leadership In COVID-19 Fight

Director of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and prevention (Africa CDC), John Nkengasong has praised African leaders for supporting a joint continental strategy to deal with the coronavirus pandemic.

He said the continent’s experience with diseases like ebola had helped African countries to develop contact tracing measures that have helped in dealing with the coronavirus pandemic.

READ:  Kenya To Reopen Schools Next Week

During a television programme, Nkengasong said public health initiatives on the continent, including increased testing, contact tracing and wearing of face masks, had led to a drop in new coronavirus cases.

READ:  Coronavirus Suspect Returns To Zimbabwe Hospital

The World Health Organization previously said the covid-19 outbreak in Africa may have passed its peak. It released fresh data on Monday that indicated Africa had reported a 12% drop in new coronavirus cases. He said the early interventions put in place by different countries also helped in containing the virus.

READ:  Eritrea, Guinea Bissau And Nigeria Yet To Sign Free Trade Deal

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has on Sunday said that he and his wife have tested positive for COVID- 19.

The minister who is now self-isolating tested after feeling tired and with a loss of appetite.

He is now self- isolating and says he’s optimistic that they will both recover fully.

READ:  Coronavirus Suspect Returns To Zimbabwe Hospital

In order to reduce the risk of a second wave, Mkhize urged citizens to continue to take health precautions having become the fifth minister to catch the virus in South Africa.

On Monday, president Cyril Ramaphosa wished the health minister a speedy recovery after contracting coronavirus.

READ:  Five Killed In Attack On South African Church, Hostages Freed

Ramaphosa in a tweet said “I wish you and your wife, Dr May Mkhize, a safe, restful and speedy recovery from #COVID19.”

He added “I also join the Minister in calling on all South Africans to remain careful and do all that we need to do to #StaySafe and help the country avoid a second wave of the pandemic.”

READ:  23 Illegal Gold Miners Killed After Dam Collapse In Zimbabwe

With more than 703,793 coronavirus cases with 18,471 deaths, South Africa remains the worst-hit by the pandemic on the continent.

Continue Reading

African News

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Published

on

By

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Madagascar has announced the end of the state of health emergency imposed to curb COVID-19- pandemic

The Madagascan government announced on Sunday, halt to the health emergency following the president Andry Rajoelina`s announcement that the country has had 96% recovery rate.

READ:  Coronavirus Suspect Returns To Zimbabwe Hospital

Rajoelina attributed the recovery to some of the measures taken including the distribution of herbal- COVID-organics. The World Health Organization says there is no cure for the virus.

READ:  Kenyan Schools Warned Against Spraying Students

Madagascar has recorded 16,000 coronavirus cases and 238 deaths.

Country’s borders remain closed due to the increase in cases in other countries. International flights to mainland Madagascar is completely suspended.

READ:  23 Illegal Gold Miners Killed After Dam Collapse In Zimbabwe

An airport –nosy is the only airport open to countries not suffering from a second wave of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Published

on

By

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.

Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

READ:  WHO: All African Countries Now Have Coronavirus Lab Testing Capacity

He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.

He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

READ:  Kenyan Doctors End Strike Over Pay Delays, Lack Of PPE

Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.

The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.

Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

READ:  NCDC Reports 111 New COVID-19 Cases, Total Now 57,724

Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: