Connect with us

African News

Ethiopia Regional Officials Sacked After Violence

Published

on

Stung By The Pandemic, Ethiopia Boosts Health Budget 46%, PM Says

Ethiopian authorities have sacked at least 40 regional government officials in the nation’s western state of Benishangul-Gumuz following a wave of ethnic-related violence.

Five districts in the state have been put under military control to contain the violence that left dozens dead and hundreds displaced last week.  The perpetrators have not been identified.

READ:  Amnesty International Says US Airstrikes In Somalia Are Killing Civilians

Amhara state authorities have accused officials in Benishangul-Gumuz of not doing enough to prevent the violence.

The government-linked Ethiopian human rights commission said it was deeply alarmed by the violence, which targeted civilians. Most of the victims in the attacks were said to be from the Amhara and Agew ethnic groups.

READ:  AU Soldiers In Somalia Accused Of Killing 4 Civilians

The ruling Prosperity Party (PP) said, ten of the officials are now under investigation.

There is concern about the increasing ethnic-related violence in Ethiopia. It is seen as one of the most pressing challenges for prime minister and Nobel Peace prize winner Abiy Ahmed.

READ:  Uganda Investing Millions Of Dollars To Improve Its Medical System

At least 15 persons, including four women, were killed, in a pre-dawn attack on Friday. Attacks earlier in the month also left 30 persons dead. Activists say the number could be as high as 80.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has on Sunday said that he and his wife have tested positive for COVID- 19.

The minister who is now self-isolating tested after feeling tired and with a loss of appetite.

He is now self- isolating and says he’s optimistic that they will both recover fully.

READ:  Four Arrested For Robbing In Muizenberg, Cape Town

In order to reduce the risk of a second wave, Mkhize urged citizens to continue to take health precautions having become the fifth minister to catch the virus in South Africa.

On Monday, president Cyril Ramaphosa wished the health minister a speedy recovery after contracting coronavirus.

READ:  Ghana Declares Week Of Mourning For Kofi Annan

Ramaphosa in a tweet said “I wish you and your wife, Dr May Mkhize, a safe, restful and speedy recovery from #COVID19.”

He added “I also join the Minister in calling on all South Africans to remain careful and do all that we need to do to #StaySafe and help the country avoid a second wave of the pandemic.”

READ:  US Special Counsel Robert Mueller To Testify Publicly

With more than 703,793 coronavirus cases with 18,471 deaths, South Africa remains the worst-hit by the pandemic on the continent.

Continue Reading

African News

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Published

on

By

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Madagascar has announced the end of the state of health emergency imposed to curb COVID-19- pandemic

The Madagascan government announced on Sunday, halt to the health emergency following the president Andry Rajoelina`s announcement that the country has had 96% recovery rate.

READ:  46 Migrants Drown En-route Yemen

Rajoelina attributed the recovery to some of the measures taken including the distribution of herbal- COVID-organics. The World Health Organization says there is no cure for the virus.

READ:  Guinea Police Fire Tear Gas On Banned Demo In Conakry

Madagascar has recorded 16,000 coronavirus cases and 238 deaths.

Country’s borders remain closed due to the increase in cases in other countries. International flights to mainland Madagascar is completely suspended.

READ:  Russian President Opens First Ever Russia-Africa Summit

An airport –nosy is the only airport open to countries not suffering from a second wave of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Published

on

By

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.

Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

READ:  Amnesty International Says US Airstrikes In Somalia Are Killing Civilians

He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.

He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

READ:  Brexit, Trade And Security Are All On The Agenda During May's Kenya Visit

Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.

The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.

Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

READ:  Four Arrested For Robbing In Muizenberg, Cape Town

Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: