Connect with us

African News

ECOWAS Peacekeeping Troops To Leave Guinea-Bissau

Published

on

ECOWAS Peacekeeping Troops To Leave Guinea-Bissau

The West African peacekeeping force in Guinea-Bissau has ended its mission after eight years in the country. The soldiers were deployed by regional bloc, ECOWAS in 2012.

READ:  Zimbabwe: S.Africa Sends Sniffer Dogs, Helicopters To Help Cyclone Hit Chimanimani

The force, made up of some 1,000 soldiers was mandated to protect heads of institutions and public buildings, following a military coup against prime minister Carlos Gomes Junior, after a disputed presidential election.

READ:  Guinea-Bissau President-Elect On Regional Tour 

Authorities say Guinea-Bissau’s armed forces will now take over to ensure order and stability in the country.

Meanwhile, newly elected president, Umaro Sissoco Embalo was confirmed on Monday by the country’s supreme court following an appeal filed by his opponents eight months ago.

READ:  EU, OIF Take Steps Against Mali's Military Junta

African News

Sierra Leone’s Former President Ordered To Appear Before Anti-Graft Commission

Published

on

By

Former Sierra Leone President Ernest Bai Koroma Ordered to Appear Before Anti-Graft Commission

Sierra Leone’s former president Ernest Bai Koroma must appear before an anti-graft commission Monday to answer questions about alleged corruption during his 2007-2018 tenure.

Koroma has previously denied any wrongdoing, calling the move a witch hunt, he said the allegations of corruption involving mining, construction and procurement contracts are “without merit and are a politically motivated charade calculated to impugn my hard-earned reputation”.

READ:  US Condemns Mali 'Mutiny', Calls For 'Freedom' Of Detained Leaders

As consequence, Ugandan government has imposed a travel ban on Koroma and more than 100 other officials, including Koroma’s former vice president, Victor Bockarie Foh.

A judicial probe had accused them of unlawfully enriching themselves during his just over a decade tenure.

READ:  Zimbabwe: S.Africa Sends Sniffer Dogs, Helicopters To Help Cyclone Hit Chimanimani

On Wednesday, Reuters reported that the All People’s Congress party, which Koroma still leads, is planning to appeal the action against him.

Koroma in a statement has said he had served the country “diligently, fairly and with honour and integrity” saying that he was known for his fight against corruption.

READ:  Guinea-Bissau Poll: ECOWAS Has Standby Army To Prevent A Coup

Continue Reading

African News

Coronavirus: Uganda Reopens Borders For Passengers

Published

on

By

Coronavirus: Uganda Reopens Borders For Passengers

Uganda has called for strict compliance with COVID-19 travel protocols as it reopened its international borders for the first time since March.

The country had earlier closed its borders to passenger travel as a control measure to fight the coronavirus pandemic which has now infected more than 8,000 and killed 75 in the country.

READ:  Guinea-Bissau Picks President After Weeks Of Political Unrest

On Thursday morning, the national carrier, Uganda Airlines ran its regional flights to Nairobi, Kenya, and Mogadishu, Somalia, as scheduled.

Other international airlines have also been landing and taking off.

To avoid self-isolation, travellers coming into Uganda will be required to present a negative Covid test taken within 72 hours of their departure.

READ:  Ghana Insists Nigerian Traders Must Pay $1m

But if someone arrives without a test certificate, a sample will be taken and they will be made to quarantine at their own cost as they await results.

READ:  Namibians Await Results From General Election

Authorities at the airport are encouraging passengers to use self-service booths where available to minimize contact and also advised out-bound travellers to be at the airport at least four hours before scheduled departure.

Continue Reading

African News

WHO To Probe ‘Sexual Exploitation’ By Aid Workers In DR Congo

Published

on

By

WHO To Probe 'Sexual Exploitation' By Aid Workers In DR Congo

The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced that it had opened an investigation into claims of alleged sexual exploitation and abuse in the context of the Ebola response in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

The actions were allegedly perpetrated by individuals identifying themselves as working for W.H.O. during the epidemic.

READ:  Guinea-Bissau President-Elect On Regional Tour 

WHO says “anyone identified as being involved will be held to account and face serious consequences, including immediate dismissal.

Its statements comes after more than 50 women accused aid workers from the W.H.O. and leading NGOs of sexual exploitation and abuse – including offering sex in exchange for a job.

READ:  Angola's Sovereign Wealth Fund Clash With Quantum Global

The investigation was published by the humanitarian news agency (TNH).

Early June 2020, DRC declared an Ebola outbreak, making it the country’s eleventh in just over 40 years.

READ:  Ghanaian Law Professor Blames GLC And IEC For Law Exam Leak

The previous outbreak caused 2,287 deaths and 3,470 cases between august 2018 and June 2020.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: