Connect with us

African News

Cameroon Probes Kamto For ‘Plan To Trigger Insurrection’

Published

on

Cameroon Probes Kamto For 'Plan To Trigger Insurrection'

Cameroon`s opposition leader Maurice Kamto is being investigated by the police on allegations that he wanted to cause an insurrection in the central African country.

The leader of the Movement for the Rebirth of Cameroon (MRC) party, Kamto had called for peaceful protests last week to push for electoral reforms, a resolution of the ongoing crisis in the Anglophone regions, and the resignation of long-time president Paul Biya but he could not lead the march because the security services put him under house arrest, and he has since not been allowed out of his home. Several opposition members were also arrested as security forces manned the streets.

READ:  Cameroon Cocoa Exporters, Farmers Flee Crisis In Anglophone Region

A group of his lawyers went to the national delegation of public security and to the national gendarmerie to find out why he is being held under house arrest and were told, an investigation will be opened on him in the coming days on grounds that he tried to cause an insurrection.

READ:  7 Separatists Killed In Cameroon's Troubled Anglophone Region

Kamto demanding an explanation from the Cameroonian government during in an interview on Monday, for what he calls a de facto house arrest as a result of deployed law enforcement patrolling his residence day and night following demonstrations by his party last Tuesday against president Paul Biya`s regime.

READ:  DRC Threatens International Action Over Angola Expulsions

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Police Arrest 100 Over Angola Anti-Government Demos

Published

on

By

Police Arrest 100 Over Angola Anti-Government Demos

At least 100 protesters have been arrested in Angola following what is described as violent anti-government demonstrations in the nation`s capital Luanda over the weekend.

Interior ministry secretary, Salvador Rodrigues, said on state television, one hundred three persons, including political party leaders, were arrested and detained.

READ:  DRC Threatens International Action Over Angola Expulsions

Protesters took to the streets to demand jobs and better living conditions. They are also demanding a new date for local government elections that were due this year, but put on hold because of the coronavirus pandemic.

READ:  Two South African Ministers Hospitalized With Coronavirus

Angolan authorities accused protesters of being violent – throwing stones, burning tires and damaging a fire engine. The protesters have been charged for arson and rioting, among other.

READ:  Cameroon's CAR Refugees Reluctant To Return Home

In a statement on Sunday, main opposition party, Unita, alleged police use of excessive force and demanded “unconditional release” of all persons arrested.

Continue Reading

African News

Russia Sends More Military Equipment To Central African Republic – RIA

Published

on

By

Russia Sends More Military Equipment To Central African Republic - RIA

Russia has opened a representative office in the Central African Republic, C.A.R., and has donated ten armoured vehicles to the country.

Moscow has been solidifying its presence in the C.A.R. in recent years, sending weapons, contractors and political advisors, and has been growing its role on the continent overall as part of a renewed push for global prestige.

READ:  Tanzania Eases Lockdown, Releases Guidelines For School Reopening

The RIA news agency cited the Russian ambassador as saying on Saturday that five members of the Russian military had arrived in Bangui, C.A.R.’s capital, on Saturday, led by senior military officer – Oleg Polguev who will head up the Russian defence ministry’s representative office in the country.

READ:  AWCON 2018: Lionesses Of Cameroon Vow To Upset Falcons

The African nation has asked for Russia`s help in lifting an arms embargo imposed by the United Nations.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea President Alpha Condé Wins Controversial Third Term

Published

on

By

Guinea President Alpha Condé Wins Controversial Third Term

Guinea`s incumbent president, Alpha Conde, has won re-election. A full preliminary tally from the election commission released on Saturday shows Conde won the October eighteenth poll with nearly sixty percent of the vote.

The 82-year-old Conde`s victory, once confirmed by the constitutional court, will give him a third term in office. The opposition had said the president had no right to participate in the election, but Conde says a constitutional referendum in march reset his two-term limit. Opponents say he is breaking the law by holding on to power.

READ:  US Diplomat's Remarks Stir Controversy In Cameroon

Results showing conde`s lead has sparked street protests in opposition strongholds leading to at least 17 deaths. Gunfire rang out across Guinea’s capital, Conakry, on Friday as security forces dispersed protesters and soldiers patrolled the streets in trucks.

READ:  More Than 80 Persons Including Children Kidnapped From School In Cameroon

Former prime minister, Cellou Dalein Diallo, Conde’s nearest rival with thirty-three and a half percent of the vote, said he has evidence of fraud and plans to file a complaint with the constitutional court.

READ:  Zimbabwe's Hyperinflation Should Offer Grim Lessons For Venezuela

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: