Connect with us

African News

Africa’s Confirmed COVID-19 Cases Surpass 1.32 Million

Published

on

Africa’s Confirmed Covid-19 Cases Surpass 1.32 Million

The Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) has on Thursday said the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases across the African continent reached 1,321,736 while more than one million persons have so far recovered.

According to a statement issued by the continental disease control and prevention agency, nearly 32,000 deaths related to the virus have been recorded in Africa.

READ:  Australians Urged To Evacuate As 'Catastrophic' Fires Loom

As of Thursday, South Africa which has the highest number of cases on the continent reported 642,431 cases and 15, 168 deaths.

Egypt, which has the second-highest COVID-19 cases in the continent, earlier this week officially became the second African country to pass the 100,000 COVID-19 infections milestone, according to figures from the Africa CDC.

READ:  Cameroon Court Orders Partial Election Rerun In Troubled English-Speaking Regions

Other African countries most affected in terms of the number of positive cases include Morocco, Ethiopia, and Nigeria.

Globally, according to data by Johns Hopkins University nearly 27.8 million persons have been infected with the coronavirus and 904,364 have died, while some 18.7 million persons have recovered.

READ:  Buhari Tasks Super Eagles to make Nigeria Proud

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

ECOWAS Hints At Lifting Mali Sanctions

Published

on

By

ECOWAS Hints At Lifting Mali Sanctions

Leaders of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) have hinted on lifting sanctions earlier imposed on Mali in the wake of last month’s coup.  Imports to land-locked Mali have slumped since the imposition of a trade embargo.

READ:  Seven Killed As Sudanese Protesters Return To Streets

ECOWAS envoy, Nigerian former president, Goodluck Jonathan said Mali military officers, who overthrew president Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta, were acceding to international calls for a transition to civilian rule.

READ:  Afe Babalola University Announces Commencement Of It's Independent Power Project

The military junta announced a former minister of defence, Bah Nda`Oh, as interim leader that would oversee a transition to a civilian-led government. Coup leader, Colonel Assimi Goita, has been named vice-president.

READ:  Comoros VP Stripped Of Key Duties

Continue Reading

African News

Cameroon: Protesters Call For End To Bloodshed From Anglophone Crisis

Published

on

By

Cameroon: Protesters Call For End To Bloodshed From Anglophone Crisis

Protesters in Cameroon have called for a ceasefire and negotiations to end a long-running conflict between Anglophone separatists and security forces. More than 3,000 lives have so far been lost in the conflict. The protesters are also demanding a reform of the electoral system.

READ:  Mozambique Local Polls Test Peace Process

Police and soldiers had taken up positions in several cities, including Douala, and the capital-Yaounde, since opposition leader, Maurice Kamto, called for a peaceful demonstration.

Police used tear gas and water cannon to break up a protest by hundreds of people in Cameroon’s economic capital Douala on Tuesday.  They were calling for an end to bloodshed in the country’s Anglophone regions.  At least one protester was reported killed.

READ:  At Least 12 Persons Infected In Congo's New Ebola Outbreak - WHO

Last month Kamto, head of the movement for the rebirth of Cameroon and runner-up to president Paul Biya in a 2018 election, labelled Biya`s government a “kleptocracy.” Kamto accused 87-year-old Biya of “ruling through disdain and terror,” and urged a “giant campaign calling for the pure and simple departure of Paul Biya from power.”

READ:  Ivory Coast Court Clears Ouattara's Third Term Bid Amid Protests

Continue Reading

African News

Ghana’s Nurses And Midwives Call Off Strike

Published

on

By

Ghanaian nurses and midwives have called off their indefinite strike to resume work today following the government’s promise to conclude negotiations within a month.

The nurses and midwives are demanding better terms of service including rent and transport allowances.

READ:  Ivory Coast Court Clears Ouattara's Third Term Bid Amid Protests

The strike left many patients stranded, and some dead, in medical facilities across the country.

The National Labour Commission secured a court order to enforce an earlier injunction meant to end the strike and compel the healthcare workers to continue negotiations with the government.

READ:  Australians Urged To Evacuate As 'Catastrophic' Fires Loom

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: