Connect with us

World News

Trump Escorted Out Of Briefing As Man Shot Near White House

Published

on

Trump Escorted Out Of Briefing As Man Shot Near White House

During a televised news conference on Monday, the United States president Donald Trump was escorted out in the middle of the briefing after Secret Service agents shot and wounded a man who claimed to be armed outside the White House.

In a statement by the Secret Service stated that a 51-year-old man, who has not been identified, approached the officer, told him he had weapons and assumed a “shooter’s stance”, whereupon the officer shot him in the torso.

READ:  UK To Make Fresh Brexit Proposals On Tuesday

The Secret Service however did not say whether the man was armed, adding that “both the officer and the suspect were then taken to hospital”

The chief of the Secret Service Uniformed Division Tom Sullivan said the White House complex was not breached and no one under Secret Service protection was in danger.

READ:  British PM Johnson's Top Team Meet To Plot Brexit Gambit

Law enforcement officials were trying to determine a motive and authorities were investigating whether the man had a history of mental illness.

Earlier, Trump had just begun a Coronavirus briefing when a US Secret Service agent escorted him from the briefing room. The president returned minutes later, saying there had been a “shooting” outside the White House that was “under control.”

READ:  At Least 14 Killed After Bomb Explosion Hit Passenger Bus In Mali

Trump said, “there was an actual shooting and somebody’s been taken to the hospital.” The president said law enforcement had fired the shots and that he believed the individual who was shot was armed.

World News

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Published

on

By

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Protesters in Belarus are still angry in their sixth week of mass protests demanding the resignation of president Alexander Lukashenko.

The president has announced, in retaliation, he is putting troops on high alert and closing the country’s borders with Poland and Lithuania.  He also said the Belarusian border with Ukraine would be strengthened.

READ:  Turkish Delegation To Meet With Top U.S. Officials

Lukashenko insists the six weeks of protests are driven by the west. He faces increasing criticism from the united states and the European Union.

Demonstrations began after the disputed august presidential election official results gave the authoritarian leader a sixth term in office–results opponents say were manipulated.

READ:  UK To Make Fresh Brexit Proposals On Tuesday

Continue Reading

World News

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Published

on

By

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Bolivia’s interim president Jeanine Anez has withdrawn from next month’s presidential election, saying she’s withdrawing in the interest of the party.

Anez, a former conservative senator, took office during the power vacuum that followed former president Morales’s departure after allegations of irregularities in last year’s election.  Those allegations fueled violent protests, and army pressure forced the country’s first indigenous president into exile in Mexico.

READ:  Switzerland Celebrates Kofi Annan

Anez says if she does not step down, Morales would possibly return to power.

She declined to name the candidate for whom she will vote.

Next month’s election is the delayed rerun of last year’s ballot.  Anez’s candidacy had sparked controversy after she initially ruled herself out and pledged to guide the country to transparent new elections.

READ:  Four Children Killed In Al-Shabab Attack Near Kenyan Border

By pulling out of the race, analysts say Anez could increase chances that the election will be pushed to a second round by consolidating the anti-Arce vote.

READ:  UN Warns Of 20 Million Children Missing Out On Life-Saving Vaccines

To avoid a second round, the election winner requires at least 40 percent of valid votes in the first round and a 10-point advantage over the closest competitor.

Continue Reading

World News

First Case-Free Day For New Zealand In Five Weeks

Published

on

By

First Case-Free Day For New Zealand In Five Weeks

New Zealand for the first time in more than five weeks has reported no new confirmed cases of the coronavirus amid efforts to stamp out an outbreak discovered in Auckland last month ending a spell of 102 days free of community transmission.

READ:  Canada Becomes First Industrialized Nation To Legalize Cannabis

The South Pacific nation with its population of five million has reported more than 1,800 cases of COVID-19 and 25 fatalities.

The report on Friday also marked the fourth consecutive day without any cases of community transmission. All recent cases have been found among quarantined travellers returning from abroad.

READ:  Switzerland Celebrates Kofi Annan

Following strict measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic which were widely praised, New Zealand is in its deepest recession in decades after the country’s GDP shrank by 12.2% between April and June as the lockdown and border closures hit.

READ:  Cyprus Court Rules 'Gang Rape' Briton Guilty Of Lying

Auckland lockdown began on 12 August after four cases were detected in the city of 1.5 million.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: