Connect with us

World News

Russia Dismisses Alexei Navalny Poisoning Allegations

Published

on

Russia Dismisses Alexei Navalny Poisoning Allegations

The Kremlin has on Tuesday dismissed accusations that Russian president Vladimir Putin was involved in the suspected poisoning of opposition critic Alexei Navalny after the German hospital treating Navalny said he appears to have been poisoned.

During a regular conference call with journalists, Kremlin spokesman, Dmitry Peskov who rejected the accusations said the allegations against the president were untrue and could not be taken seriously having describe it as “empty noise” and “idle talk”.

READ:  Malaysia Seizes Rhino Horns Worth $12 Million In Largest Such Haul

Peskov said that the diagnoses by both Russian and German doctors matched but the “conclusions differ” adding that “we don’t understand why our German colleagues are in such a hurry. The substance hasn’t yet been established.”

In a swift response, Navalny’s spokeswoman, Kira Yarmysh, tweeted: “It was obvious that the crime would not be properly investigated and the culprit found. However, we all know perfectly well who he is.”

READ:  US Shutdown: Congress Unsure Of Trump's Border Security Deal

European countries including Germany and France have called for a Russian investigation into the suspected poisoning. The UK also called for a “full and transparent” investigation.

Last week, ANN reported that the Russian opposition politician, who is a staunch critic of President Vladimir Putin was flying from Siberia to Moscow after a work trip to Tomsk when his plane made an emergency landing after he fell ill.

The spokeswoman, Kira Yarmysh last Thursday said the politician fell ill from suspected poisoning during a flight.

READ:  UK Officially In Recession For First Time In 11 Years

Russian doctors blamed the illness of 44-year-old Navalny who was rushed into intensive care on a metabolic disorder caused by low blood sugar.

Navalny was brought to the German capital Berlin on Saturday from Siberia after aides said they believed poison was administered to Navalny in a cup of tea, pointing the blame at Putin.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Published

on

By

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Protesters in Belarus are still angry in their sixth week of mass protests demanding the resignation of president Alexander Lukashenko.

The president has announced, in retaliation, he is putting troops on high alert and closing the country’s borders with Poland and Lithuania.  He also said the Belarusian border with Ukraine would be strengthened.

READ:  Iran Says It Will Execute Informant Who Led CIA To Soleimani

Lukashenko insists the six weeks of protests are driven by the west. He faces increasing criticism from the united states and the European Union.

Demonstrations began after the disputed august presidential election official results gave the authoritarian leader a sixth term in office–results opponents say were manipulated.

READ:  Toshiba To Shed Troubled Assets, Cut 7,000 Jobs As Part Of New Five-year Strategy

Continue Reading

World News

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Published

on

By

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Bolivia’s interim president Jeanine Anez has withdrawn from next month’s presidential election, saying she’s withdrawing in the interest of the party.

Anez, a former conservative senator, took office during the power vacuum that followed former president Morales’s departure after allegations of irregularities in last year’s election.  Those allegations fueled violent protests, and army pressure forced the country’s first indigenous president into exile in Mexico.

READ:  Ghanaian President Visits South Africa

Anez says if she does not step down, Morales would possibly return to power.

She declined to name the candidate for whom she will vote.

Next month’s election is the delayed rerun of last year’s ballot.  Anez’s candidacy had sparked controversy after she initially ruled herself out and pledged to guide the country to transparent new elections.

READ:  Japan Activists Push To Halt Sexual Harassment Of Job-Seeking Students

By pulling out of the race, analysts say Anez could increase chances that the election will be pushed to a second round by consolidating the anti-Arce vote.

READ:  Facebook Removes Hundreds Of Accounts Engaged In "Inauthentic Behaviour"

To avoid a second round, the election winner requires at least 40 percent of valid votes in the first round and a 10-point advantage over the closest competitor.

Continue Reading

World News

First Case-Free Day For New Zealand In Five Weeks

Published

on

By

First Case-Free Day For New Zealand In Five Weeks

New Zealand for the first time in more than five weeks has reported no new confirmed cases of the coronavirus amid efforts to stamp out an outbreak discovered in Auckland last month ending a spell of 102 days free of community transmission.

READ:  Australian Open: Pliskova Beats Serena To Reach Semi-Finals

The South Pacific nation with its population of five million has reported more than 1,800 cases of COVID-19 and 25 fatalities.

The report on Friday also marked the fourth consecutive day without any cases of community transmission. All recent cases have been found among quarantined travellers returning from abroad.

READ:  US Orders Its Citizens To Leave DR Congo

Following strict measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic which were widely praised, New Zealand is in its deepest recession in decades after the country’s GDP shrank by 12.2% between April and June as the lockdown and border closures hit.

READ:  Japan Activists Push To Halt Sexual Harassment Of Job-Seeking Students

Auckland lockdown began on 12 August after four cases were detected in the city of 1.5 million.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: