Connect with us

World News

New Zealand Mosque Shooter Sentenced To Life Without Parole

Published

on

New Zealand Mosque Shooter Sentenced To Life Without Parole

A court in New Zealand has on Thursday sentenced 29-year-old Australian mosque shooter Brenton Tarrant to life imprisonment without parole, the first time such a sentence has been handed down in the country.

Tarrant, a self-confessed white supremacist last year killed 51 Muslims as they prayed at two mosques in Christchurch.

Earlier this year, the Australian pleaded guilty to 51 charges of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and one charge of committing a terrorist act during the March 2019 rampage in the southern city, which he livestreamed on Facebook.

READ:  Rights Group Accuses Mozambique Forces Of Unlawful Arrest Of Journalists

In delivering the sentence, High Court Judge Cameron Mander said that a finite term was insufficient for such a crime and that Tarrant had shown no remorse.

Mander said “your crimes are so wicked that even if you are detained until you die it will not exhaust the requirements of punishment and denunciation.”

The judge added that “as far as I can discern, you are empty of any empathy for your victims.”

READ:  China Seizes U.S. Consulate In Chengdu, Retaliating For Houston

Survivors and families of victims of the Christchurch, New Zealand, mosque shooting have also spoken out as tears welled, and photographs of dead relatives hoisted high, all against gunman Brenton Tarrant.

Tarrant had been representing himself and said through a lawyer in court on Thursday that he did not oppose the sentence.

The lead prosecutor in the case, Mark Zarifeh said that no minimum term of imprisonment was enough for the gunman, “given the gravity of the offending and the devastating loss of life and injury”.

READ:  Senate Asks INEC To Announce June 12, 1993 Election Results

Zarifeh said “the enormity of the offending in this case is without comparison in New Zealand’s criminal history,” adding that there could be “no doubt” that the gunman was “clearly New Zealand’s worst murderer”.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

North Korea Apologizes For ‘Unfortunate’ Killing Of South Korean Official

Published

on

By

North Korea Apologizes For 'Unfortunate' Killing Of South Korean Official

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has apologized for the killing of a South Korean official, an incident which could have been a disaster for any hopes of rekindling talks between the South and the North.

According to a report by Yonhap news agency on Friday Kim reportedly told his South Korean counterpart Moon Jae-in that the “disgraceful affair” should not have happened.

Earlier on Monday, a South Korean fisheries official disappeared from a fisheries patrol boat when it was about 10km (six miles) south of the Northern Limit Line (NLL), a disputed line of military control that acts as the de facto maritime boundary between the two Koreas.

READ:  Malaysia's Former PM Najib Arrested In Corruption Probe

On Thursday, South Korea said on Thursday the 47-year-old man had been shot dead by North Korean troops and his body burned.

In a message to Seoul, Kim said he felt “very sorry” for “disappointing” South Korean President Moon Jae-in.

READ:  Kenya Airways To Purchase Order Of Boeing 737 MAX Despite Global Ban

News agency reported that the North said it had conducted its own investigation into the incident and found that soldiers near its western sea border had fired at least 10 shots at the South Korean. The border between the Koreas is tightly policed, and the North is thought to have a “shoot-to-kill” policy in place to prevent coronavirus from entering the country.

READ:  US President Donald Trump Says New Recommendations On Face Masks Are Coming

However, the North insisted that it had not burned the man’s body but rather the “floating material” that was carrying him.

Also, some experts were skeptical of claims that the man had been trying to defect to a country that has seen more than 30,000 North Koreans fleeing to South Korea in the past two decades, defections from South to North are rare.

Continue Reading

World News

Belarus: Mass Protests After Lukashenko Secretly Sworn In

Published

on

By

Belarus: Mass Protests After Lukashenko Secretly Sworn In

Mass street protests have continued in Belarus’s capital of Minsk, after the unannounced swearing in of president Alexander Lukashenko.

There were reports of beatings and detentions by police, and video footage showed water cannon being used.

READ:  Mass Strike Over Pensions Tangles Transport Across France

Lukashenko was secretly sworn in for a sixth term, with only a few hundred supporters in attendance. Opposition members call the ceremony, quote: “thieves’ meeting”.

The opposition says last month’s poll was rigged in Lukashenko’s favour.

READ:  Malaysia's Former PM Najib Arrested In Corruption Probe

Belarus electoral commission announced Lukashenko won more than 80% of the vote, triggering weeks of mass protests across the country.

Several EU countries and the us say they do not recognize Lukashenko as the legitimate president of Belarus.

READ:  Iranian Assets Seized By France In Response To Foiled Bomb Plot

Continue Reading

World News

Two Louisville Police Officers Shot And Injured Amid Protests Over Breonna Taylor’s Death

Published

on

By

Two Louisville Police Officers Shot

Protesters took to the streets of Louisville, Kentucky expressing anger hours after a grand jury brought no charges against Louisville police for killing Breonna Taylor.

Authorities confirmed two officers were shot and wounded during the demonstrations over police killings of black people.

READ:  UK To Make Fresh Brexit Proposals On Tuesday

Interim Louisville police chief, Robert Schroeder, said a suspect was in custody but did not offer details on whether that person was participating in the demonstrations. He said both officers are expected to recover.

READ:  Fighting In South Sudan "Has Diminished Greatly" - UN Envoy

The violence comes after prosecutors said two officers who fired their weapons at Taylor, a black woman, were justified in using force to protect themselves after they faced gunfire from her boyfriend.

READ:  Rights Group Accuses Mozambique Forces Of Unlawful Arrest Of Journalists

The only charges were three counts of wanton endangerment against fired officer Brett Hankison for shooting into a home next to Taylor’s with people inside.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: