Connect with us

World News

New Zealand Eases Restrictions For Auckland Residents

Published

on

New Zealand Eases Restrictions For Auckland Residents

New Zealand’s largest city, Auckland which has been in level 3 lockdown for more than two weeks has on Monday eased coronavirus restrictions, and made the use of face masks compulsory.

The Auckland lockdown began on 12 August after four cases were detected in the city of 1.5 million, ending 102 days free of community transmission when it appeared New Zealand had beaten the virus.

READ:  New Zealand Allows Chelsea Manning Entry For Speaking Tour

Aucklanders were allowed out of their homes, the government limited non-school social gatherings in the city to ten persons and made masks compulsory on public transport nationwide.

Earlier on Friday, the finance minister, Grant Robertson said Auckland would move to level 2 at midnight on Sunday after a level 3 lockdown which requires most people to stay at home unless shopping or if they are essential workers.

READ:  U.N. Calls For $2.5 Trillion Covid-19 Support Package For Developing Countries

Level 2 allows people to return to work, school and jobs, as well as eating and drinking out.

The cluster of infections has since grown to 141, with four new cases of community transmission reported today, making it the largest recorded in New Zealand.

The country has reported more than 1,700 cases and 22 deaths from coronavirus.

READ:  Covid-19: Zimbabwe To Reopen Tourism Industry

Australia has reported fewer than 100 new coronavirus cases, the lowest number in two months as authorities appeared to bring an outbreak in the country’s second-largest city under control.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern expressed confidence a second-wave outbreak of coronavirus was under control.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Alexei Navalny Discharged From Berlin Hospital

Published

on

By

Alexei Navalny Discharged From Berlin Hospital

Medical authorities at the German hospital in berlin that has been treating Russian opposition leader, Alexei Navalny say he has improved enough to be released from the hospital.

Navalny is the most vociferous opponent of president Vladimir Putin who was flown to Germany two days after falling ill in August on A Russian domestic flight.  On his arrival in Germany, medical tests revealed he was poisoned with a Soviet-er nerve agent.

READ:  Canada Under Pressure To Come Into Trade Agreement With US

Navalny was kept in an induced coma for more than two weeks.  Members of his team have accused the kremlin of involvement in the poisoning.  Russian, of course, has strongly denied that charge.

READ:  International Journalist Group: Fewer Media Staff Killed This Year

Medical officials at the berlin hospital say it is possible Navalny would completely recover from the nerve agent poisoning.

Continue Reading

World News

Greece: Hundreds Of Asylum Seekers On Lesbos Test Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

Greece- Hundreds Of Asylum Seekers On Lesbos Test Positive For COVID-19

Authorities in Greece have confirmed two hundred forty-three persons among thousands of asylum-seekers on the Island of Lesbos have tested positive for coronavirus infections.

Health officials say the average age of those confirmed positive was 24, and most were asymptomatic.

READ:  Civilians Flee Bombardment As Arab States Pound Yemen Port

All one hundred sixty police and administrative staff who had come in contact with the migrants tested negative for the virus.

Government spokesperson, Stelios Petsas says the positive cases from lesbos would be added to Greece’s official coronavirus figures.

READ:  Covid-19: Zimbabwe To Reopen Tourism Industry

More than 12,000 asylum-seekers were left homeless nearly two weeks ago after fires on two successive nights destroyed the notoriously overcrowded Moria camp.

Greek authorities say the fires were deliberately set by a small group of Afghans angered by lockdown and isolation orders.

READ:  Belgian Prime Minister, Charles Michel Resigns

The country is experiencing a resurgence of the virus with more than 15,000 confirmed positive cases and 338 deaths in this country of nearly 11 million persons.

Continue Reading

World News

Italians Vote To Slash Size Of Parliament By A Third

Published

on

By

Italians Vote To Slash Size Of Parliament By A Third

Italians have voted in a referendum to reduce the size of the country’s parliament by more than a third.

Almost 70% of the people have voted in favour of the change, with almost all votes counted.

READ:  Belgian Prime Minister, Charles Michel Resigns

The number of MPs in the lower house will be reduced from 634 to 400. The senate will also be downsized.

The referendum was pushed by the five star movement, a part of the governing coalition, which argues this new move will reduce costs.

READ:  Covid-19: Zimbabwe To Reopen Tourism Industry

The referendum was held alongside several key regional elections.

The total number of MPs and senators will be cut from 945 to 600. The change had already been pushed through parliament.

READ:  Tanzania Lifts Quarantine Requirement For Foreigners

However, critics argue this will weaken the authority of parliament and deliver minimal cost-saving benefits.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: