Connect with us

African News

Most Oil On Damaged Ship Off Mauritius Removed, Owner Says

Published

on

Japanese Ship Operator To Put $9.4M Toward Mauritius Oil Spill Recovery

Mauritius is dealing with a heavy oil spill, the clean up of which has attracted thousands of volunteers. A Japanese freighter struck a coral reef on the southeast coast of Mauritius late last month as was still leaking oil last week.  This has raised fears of a major ecological crisis.

Volunteers have cleared dead eels from oily waters on Tuesday as they tried to clean up damage to the Indian Ocean island’s most pristine beaches after an estimated 1,000 tonnes of oil were spilled into the waters.

READ:  Egypt Dismisses Poisonous Gas Leaks As Behind 2 Brits Death

Activists say dead eels were floating in the water and dead starfish washed in the sticky black liquid. Crabs and seabirds are also dying.

However, on Wednesday the ship owner Nagashiki Shipping said most of the fuel left on a Japanese bulk carrier that has leaked an estimated 1,000 tonnes of oil off the Mauritius coast has been pumped off.

READ:  Canada's M2 Cobalt Optimistic About Future In Uganda

Yoshinori Fukushima, a spokesman for Nagashiki said “I heard the collection is almost over, but it is hard to tell if there is absolutely no oil left on the ship”

Earlier, Prime minister Pravind Jugnauth said late on Monday the ship is still holding at least 2,000 tonnes of oil and is expected to eventually break up. Jugnauth warned that the country must brace for the worst.

READ:  Donald Trump Vows To End Conflict In Africa

Mauritian government on Friday declared a state of emergency and is working with former colonial ruler, France, to try to remove the oil.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

WHO To Probe ‘Sexual Exploitation’ By Aid Workers In DR Congo

Published

on

By

WHO To Probe 'Sexual Exploitation' By Aid Workers In DR Congo

The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced that it had opened an investigation into claims of alleged sexual exploitation and abuse in the context of the Ebola response in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

The actions were allegedly perpetrated by individuals identifying themselves as working for W.H.O. during the epidemic.

READ:  Kenya: Makadara Court Closed For 14 Days As 2 Covid-19 Cases Reported

WHO says “anyone identified as being involved will be held to account and face serious consequences, including immediate dismissal.

Its statements comes after more than 50 women accused aid workers from the W.H.O. and leading NGOs of sexual exploitation and abuse – including offering sex in exchange for a job.

READ:  Malawi Joins Other Southern African Nations In Coronavirus Lockdown

The investigation was published by the humanitarian news agency (TNH).

Early June 2020, DRC declared an Ebola outbreak, making it the country’s eleventh in just over 40 years.

READ:  Mauritius Provides Aid To Fishermen Affected By Oil Spill

The previous outbreak caused 2,287 deaths and 3,470 cases between august 2018 and June 2020.

Continue Reading

African News

Coronavirus Surge Prompts Isolation Rooms Order In Maputo

Published

on

By

Coronavirus Surge Prompts Isolation Rooms Order In Maputo

The Mozambican health ministry has told all companies and institutions in the capital, Maputo, to set up isolation rooms within their premises for holding people suspected to have contracted coronavirus.

READ:  Egypt Dismisses Poisonous Gas Leaks As Behind 2 Brits Death

Firms have also been told to set up “covid-19 management institutional commission” to manage suspected and confirmed cases of covid-19 and to keep in contact with health authorities.

The commissions will include people trained on how to handle the disease.

READ:  Reps Order Investigation Of NOSDRA Over Five Years Oil Spill In Niger Delta

The country has lately witnessed a steady increase in the number of confirmed cases, particularly in the capital, Maputo.

Nearly 137,000 persons have been tested for coronavirus so far with almost 8,600 confirmed cases. There have been 59 deaths and more than 5,200 recoveries.

READ:  Malawi Joins Other Southern African Nations In Coronavirus Lockdown

Continue Reading

African News

South Africa Says Tourists From High-Risk Countries Still Barred From Oct. 1

Published

on

By

South Africa Says Tourists From High-Risk Countries Still Barred From Oct. 1

As South Africa’s borders reopen today, October first, ministers have said on Wednesday tourists from countries with coronavirus infection rates, higher than South Africa, including Britain, the United States and France, will not be permitted to come in.

But business travellers from countries considered “high-risk,” which also include the Netherlands, Russia and India, with scarce and critical skills including diplomats, repatriated persons and investors will be allowed to enter.

READ:  Canada's M2 Cobalt Optimistic About Future In Uganda

Foreign minister Naledi Pandor said, data will be reviewed every two weeks,” and the South African government would be guided by epidemiological data when deciding which countries were deemed high-risk.

President Cyril Ramaphosa eased lockdown restrictions last month in a country which had one of the world’s strictest at the height of its covid-19 outbreak. The easing included opening up to air travel, bringing relief to its badly battered tourism industry.

READ:  Malawi Joins Other Southern African Nations In Coronavirus Lockdown

The tourism sector makes up almost 9% of the GDP of Africa’s most industrialized country and employs nearly three -quarters of a million people, according to the country’s tourism marketing agency and the statistics office. Sa tourism, the marketing agency, has said nearly 440,000 tourism jobs are at risk because of the pandemic.

READ:  Egypt Court Orders Release Of Anti-sex Abuse Activist

Last year, South Africa welcomed over 10 million foreign visitors. The top 10 origin countries, which accounted for 73% of tourist arrivals, include the United States, United Kingdom, France, India and the Netherlands, all of which are on the “high-risk” list read out by home affairs minister Aaron Motsoaledi.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: