United States Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo has arrived in Sudan today on what he said was the first official non-stop flight between the country and Israel.
Pompeo will become the highest-ranking U.S. official in more than a decade to visit the Sudan, as the Trump administration pushes for Arab nations to normalize ties with Israel.
Pompeo said on Twitter “happy to announce that we are on the first official nonstop flight from Israel to Sudan!”
He will hold meetings with Sudanese prime minister Abdalla Hamdok and sovereign council chair, General Abdel Fattah El-Burhan.
U.S state department says Pompeo will also discuss “continued U.S. support for the civilian-led transitional government” in the country.
Relations between the US and Sudan have eased since last year’s overthrow of President Omar al-Bashir as Sudan seeks to be removed from the US list of state sponsors of terrorism.
Guinea: Anti-Conde Movement Plans Protests Ahead Of Polls
Guinea’s opposition movement has announced a new round of protests from late September, just weeks ahead of a presidential election. The poll is scheduled to hold in exactly one month.
The movement says it’s planning the demonstration against what it called, president Alpha Conde’s controversial bid to run for a third term in the October 18 vote.
82-year-old Conde pushed through constitutional reforms last year to allow him to run for a third term. The reform was boycotted by the country`s opposition. The leader’s move caused clashes in the country last October, claiming several dozen lives, from believe that Conde fuelled accusations he sidestepped limits on presidential terms.
Opposition movement says a series of peaceful protests will begin in twelve days in the capital, Conakry and the surrounding area, to demand Alpha Conde’s departure. The opposition describes him as “a “dictator… Whose sole ambition today is to stay in power for the rest of his life.”
The movement called on “the people of guinea to mobilize massively, in the greatest civic responsibility.
Conde became the country’s first democratically elected president ten years ago. His critics say he has become increasingly authoritarian and resorts to crackdowns to quell dissent.
The opposition’s announcement came hours after Conde declared Coronavirus restrictions would be extended for another month. Guinea has officially declared 10,111 Coronavirus cases and 63 deaths.
The measures include bans on gatherings of more than 100 persons, meaning the protests could be declared illegal.
Human rights defenders and the opposition accuse the authorities of using the Coronavirus pandemic to repress protests and political rallies ahead of the vote.
But rallies held by government supporters in recent days have been allowed.
UN Watchdog: Human Rights Abuses Continue In Burundi
A United Nations commission of inquiry into alleged human rights violations in Burundi says, there has been no progress in improving human rights in the nation despite a new government headed by a new leader in Burundi.
President Evariste Ndayishimiye replaced Pierre Nkurunziza in June after the incumbent died.
U.N. investigators have just completed their latest and fourth report into Burundi, covering may 2019 to May 2020. They suggested that serious violations had continued unabated.
UN investigators said hopes for change in the new government have not been realized so far.
Discussing their findings, a representative, Francoise Hampson said though there was an expectation the new president would usher in a new era, “there have continued to be killings, arbitrary detention and disappearances, and that is a matter of very grave concern.
Convoy Ambush In Eastern Congo Kills One Aid Worker
Gunmen in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo have ambushed and killed an aid worker.
Aid group world vision says two workers were kidnapped and another of its employees was seriously wounded, during the attack on a convoy in Lubero in North Kivu province on Wednesday.
The group said on twitter, world vision was distressed to receive reports of its staff member`s death in an attack by unidentified armed actors on a humanitarian convoy.
The organization has also denounced the incident which it said was an attack on the most vulnerable children and communities the staff had been serving.
A local official said the ambush was carried out by the militia known as the Mai-Mai which has been active in eastern DR Congo since the early 1990s.
Sports News6 days ago
CAF Postpones Club Competitions Amid Coronavirus Pandemic
African News3 days ago
At Least 1.7 Million Jobs Lost In Kenya Due To Coronavirus Fallout
African News4 days ago
COVID-19: South Sudan Announces Reopening Of Schools
World News6 days ago
Colombia To Gradually Reopen International Flights
World News1 day ago
Mexico COVID-19 Mobile Blood Donations / ANN News Video link
African News6 days ago
South Africa’s Economy Slumps 51% In Q2 / ANN News
Health News2 days ago
UAE Announces Emergency Approval For Use Of Coronavirus Vaccine
Nigerian News18 hours ago
El-Rufai Signs Law Prescribing Castration For Rapists In Kaduna