Connect with us

African News

Mali Soldiers Promise Civilian Transition After President’s Ouster

Published

on

Africa Leaders: Mali Military Gov't Must Name President By September 15

Mali president Ibrahim Boubacar Keita has announced his resignation following and apparent coup attempt. Keita made the announcement during an appearance on state television following his arrest by the military. The United Nations and African Union have denounced the military takeover.

We have been reporting mutiny in Mali after the military took over arms on Tuesday and were shooting sporadically at an army base. President Boubacar Keïta and prime minister Boubou Cissé were later detained.

READ:  Uganda To Fight Crime Using WhatsApp

Speaking after ousting of the president, the armed forces in Mali have declared their intention to set up a transitional government ahead of new elections.

Mali military junta have ordered all air and land borders be closed until further notice and imposed a night-time curfew.

READ:  Fears For Historic City Of Agadez As Flooding Continues

A member of Mali’s opposition group, M5 movement – which held protests against former president Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta over the last few weeks – has called his resignation a relief.

The military has promised to hold elections and extended an invitation to opposition groups – for talks leading to fresh elections.

READ:  4 Militants Killed By U.S. Airstrike In Somalia

A delegation of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) presidents is expected in Mali today, Wednesday. The regional organization, ECOWAS, has also announced a blockade along the country’s borders and have suspended financial links.

The United Nations Security Council is also meeting today, Wednesday.

African News

Sierra Leone’s Former President Ordered To Appear Before Anti-Graft Commission

Published

on

By

Former Sierra Leone President Ernest Bai Koroma Ordered to Appear Before Anti-Graft Commission

Sierra Leone’s former president Ernest Bai Koroma must appear before an anti-graft commission Monday to answer questions about alleged corruption during his 2007-2018 tenure.

Koroma has previously denied any wrongdoing, calling the move a witch hunt, he said the allegations of corruption involving mining, construction and procurement contracts are “without merit and are a politically motivated charade calculated to impugn my hard-earned reputation”.

READ:  Fears For Historic City Of Agadez As Flooding Continues

As consequence, Ugandan government has imposed a travel ban on Koroma and more than 100 other officials, including Koroma’s former vice president, Victor Bockarie Foh.

A judicial probe had accused them of unlawfully enriching themselves during his just over a decade tenure.

READ:  US Slaps Sanctions As Iran Marks 1979 Embassy Siege

On Wednesday, Reuters reported that the All People’s Congress party, which Koroma still leads, is planning to appeal the action against him.

Koroma in a statement has said he had served the country “diligently, fairly and with honour and integrity” saying that he was known for his fight against corruption.

READ:  Ivory Coast Protesters Target Coronavirus Testing Centre

Continue Reading

African News

Coronavirus: Uganda Reopens Borders For Passengers

Published

on

By

Coronavirus: Uganda Reopens Borders For Passengers

Uganda has called for strict compliance with COVID-19 travel protocols as it reopened its international borders for the first time since March.

The country had earlier closed its borders to passenger travel as a control measure to fight the coronavirus pandemic which has now infected more than 8,000 and killed 75 in the country.

READ:  Sudan Ruling Military Council Foils Attempted Coup

On Thursday morning, the national carrier, Uganda Airlines ran its regional flights to Nairobi, Kenya, and Mogadishu, Somalia, as scheduled.

Other international airlines have also been landing and taking off.

To avoid self-isolation, travellers coming into Uganda will be required to present a negative Covid test taken within 72 hours of their departure.

READ:  Mali Opposition Loses Election Challenge At Top Court

But if someone arrives without a test certificate, a sample will be taken and they will be made to quarantine at their own cost as they await results.

READ:  US Slaps Sanctions As Iran Marks 1979 Embassy Siege

Authorities at the airport are encouraging passengers to use self-service booths where available to minimize contact and also advised out-bound travellers to be at the airport at least four hours before scheduled departure.

Continue Reading

African News

WHO To Probe ‘Sexual Exploitation’ By Aid Workers In DR Congo

Published

on

By

WHO To Probe 'Sexual Exploitation' By Aid Workers In DR Congo

The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced that it had opened an investigation into claims of alleged sexual exploitation and abuse in the context of the Ebola response in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).

The actions were allegedly perpetrated by individuals identifying themselves as working for W.H.O. during the epidemic.

READ:  North Korea Threatens To Suspend Denuclearization Talks With US

WHO says “anyone identified as being involved will be held to account and face serious consequences, including immediate dismissal.

Its statements comes after more than 50 women accused aid workers from the W.H.O. and leading NGOs of sexual exploitation and abuse – including offering sex in exchange for a job.

READ:  Libya’s Hafter Forces Threaten To Target Civilian Planes

The investigation was published by the humanitarian news agency (TNH).

Early June 2020, DRC declared an Ebola outbreak, making it the country’s eleventh in just over 40 years.

READ:  Madagascar Starts Counting Ballots In Presidential Race

The previous outbreak caused 2,287 deaths and 3,470 cases between august 2018 and June 2020.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: