Niger’s defence minister Issoufou Katambé says six international aid group workers have been attacked and killed on Sunday at a giraffe reserve, 65 km from the country’s capital Niamey. The victims of the attack were French nationals, a Nigerien guide and their driver.
Officials said, gunmen on motorcycles killed them in a wildlife park, a popular attraction in the southeast of the capital. The Association of Koure Giraffe reserve guides issued a statement describing the attackers as a “unit of terrorists.” No one immediately claimed responsibility for the assault.
French president Emmanuel Macron has condemned the killing he called, “a cowardly” attack. France and other countries have warned people against travelling to parts of Niger where militants, including Boko Haram and an affiliate of Islamic state, operate.
Jihadists have become increasingly active in Niger moving across the borders from Mali, Burkina Faso and Nigeria.
In June, ten aid workers were kidnapped.
France, had launched a coalition of West African and European allies in June to fight Islamist militants in the Sahel region including Niger. Thousands of troops have been deployed in the arid region south of the Sahara since 2013. But militant violence has been on the rise.
Coronavirus: Uganda Reopens Borders For Passengers
Uganda has called for strict compliance with COVID-19 travel protocols as it reopened its international borders for the first time since March.
The country had earlier closed its borders to passenger travel as a control measure to fight the coronavirus pandemic which has now infected more than 8,000 and killed 75 in the country.
On Thursday morning, the national carrier, Uganda Airlines ran its regional flights to Nairobi, Kenya, and Mogadishu, Somalia, as scheduled.
Other international airlines have also been landing and taking off.
To avoid self-isolation, travellers coming into Uganda will be required to present a negative Covid test taken within 72 hours of their departure.
But if someone arrives without a test certificate, a sample will be taken and they will be made to quarantine at their own cost as they await results.
Authorities at the airport are encouraging passengers to use self-service booths where available to minimize contact and also advised out-bound travellers to be at the airport at least four hours before scheduled departure.
WHO To Probe ‘Sexual Exploitation’ By Aid Workers In DR Congo
The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced that it had opened an investigation into claims of alleged sexual exploitation and abuse in the context of the Ebola response in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC).
The actions were allegedly perpetrated by individuals identifying themselves as working for W.H.O. during the epidemic.
WHO says “anyone identified as being involved will be held to account and face serious consequences, including immediate dismissal.
Its statements comes after more than 50 women accused aid workers from the W.H.O. and leading NGOs of sexual exploitation and abuse – including offering sex in exchange for a job.
The investigation was published by the humanitarian news agency (TNH).
Early June 2020, DRC declared an Ebola outbreak, making it the country’s eleventh in just over 40 years.
The previous outbreak caused 2,287 deaths and 3,470 cases between august 2018 and June 2020.
Coronavirus Surge Prompts Isolation Rooms Order In Maputo
The Mozambican health ministry has told all companies and institutions in the capital, Maputo, to set up isolation rooms within their premises for holding people suspected to have contracted coronavirus.
Firms have also been told to set up “covid-19 management institutional commission” to manage suspected and confirmed cases of covid-19 and to keep in contact with health authorities.
The commissions will include people trained on how to handle the disease.
The country has lately witnessed a steady increase in the number of confirmed cases, particularly in the capital, Maputo.
Nearly 137,000 persons have been tested for coronavirus so far with almost 8,600 confirmed cases. There have been 59 deaths and more than 5,200 recoveries.
Entertainment News4 days ago
Laycon Wins 2020 BBNaija Lockdown Edition
African News5 days ago
Soaring Inflation Hampers South Sudan Government / ANN News
African News6 days ago
South Africa To Reopen International Travel
African News4 days ago
Uganda: Two Arrested Over Makerere University Fire / ANN News
Nigerian News7 days ago
NCDC Reports 111 New COVID-19 Cases, Total Now 57,724
Sports News7 days ago
Zlatan Ibrahimovic Tests Positive For Coronavirus, AC Milan Confirm
World News7 days ago
Belarus: Mass Protests After Lukashenko Secretly Sworn In
African News6 days ago
Mali’s Interim President To Be Sworn Into Office