Connect with us

African News

Dozens Of Migrants Die In Shipwreck Off Libya – UN

Published

on

Dozens Of migrants die in shipwreck off Libya - UN

The UN refugee agency has reported that at least 45 migrants and refugees, including five children, have died in the deadliest shipwreck this year off the coast of Libya after the engine of vessel they were travelling on exploded.

On Wednesday, some 37 survivors predominantly from Senegal, Mali, Chad and Ghana were among more than 80 persons on board a vessel whose engine exploded off the coast of Zwara have since been detained in Libya.

READ:  At Least 15 Dead After Passenger Plane Crashes In Kazakhstan

Libyan coast is often used as a jumping off point for entry into Europe via Italy and Malta for refugees and migrants looking to reach the European Union.

READ:  Thailand To Hold First Elections After Military Rule

The UN refugee agency and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said it was “deeply concerned by recent delays in rescue and disembarkation”.

UNHCR and IOM also said “we urge states to swiftly respond to these incidents and systematically provide a predictable port of safety to people rescued at sea. Delays recorded in recent months, and failure to assist, are unacceptable and put lives at avoidable risk.”

READ:  Egyptian Politician Calls For Referendum On Government

Libya has become a key transit country for migrants since the 2011 overthrow and killing of its former leader, Muammar Gaddafi.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Kenya Extends COVID-19 Curfew For Two Months But Reduces Hours

Published

on

By

Kenyan president Uhuru Kenyatta has extended the nationwide curfew put in place to curb the spread of the new coronavirus but it would now end two hours later at 11pm.

READ:  Zimbabwe's President Pleads for Patience in Bringing Economy Back From ‘Dead’

Kenyatta, also lifted a ban on the sale of alcohol in restaurants and bars, saying the covid-19 infections curve had been flattened.

Since the country recorded its first case of coronavirus in March, more than 38,000 persons have been infected with the virus with 691 fatalities reported so far.

READ:  DR Congo: Ebola Outbreak Spreading At Its Fastest Rate - WHO

Continue Reading

African News

Uganda: Sickle Cell Awareness Fundraising Campaign Launched

Published

on

By

Uganda: Sickle Cell Awareness Fundraising Campaign Launched

A sickle cell awareness fundraising campaign has been launched by Uganda’s ministry of health to create awareness about sickle cell disease and to provide free screening services to stakeholders.

The exercise is expected to help give specialized health care, to promote awareness and testing, and to provide tele-medicine services.

READ:  Egyptian Politician Calls For Referendum On Government

The campaign is a joint effort with CTI Africa Uganda sickle cell rescue foundation.

A study has shown a prevalence of sickle cell trait at a very high rate of more than thirteen percent.  As a result, health authorities have called for premarital and newborn screening.

READ:  Kenya: Kiunjuri, Rotich Out As President Reshuffles Cabinet

The ministry’s director-general for health services, Dr. Henry Nwebesa, says the ministry will strengthen partnerships and ensure every sickle cell child is able to live a quality life.

READ:  Xi Meets With Kenyatta In Shanghai

Sickle cell is a chronic illness that effects people from childhood and restricts them for participating in many activities that could affect their conditions.

Continue Reading

African News

Ivory Coast President Says New West African Currency Launch May Take Five Years

Published

on

By

Ivory Coast President Says New West African Currency Launch May Take Five Years

The plan to launch a new currency to replace the CFA franc-being used by several French speaking west African countries has been postponed. Ivory coast president Alessane Ouattara, said the coronavirus pandemic has derailed the project to introduce the eco currency this year.

Last December, the eight countries of west Africa’s monetary union decided to sever the financial colonial link with France by switching to a new currency called the Eco, which the union says would be pegged to the European Union’s euro. Other countries that do not use the CFA franc, like Nigeria and Ghana, are also interested in adopting the new regional currency.

READ:  At Least 15 Dead After Passenger Plane Crashes In Kazakhstan

The plan has been affected by the economic fallout of the global COVID-19 pandemic. The Eco launch may not happen for at least five years. The international monetary fund predicts sub-Saharan Africa’s economy will contract by more than 3% this year.

READ:  Cameroon: Main Opposition Leader, Kamto Arrested

Nations in the bloc, former French colonies, like Benin, Mali, Niger and Senegal have agreed to work towards reducing their budget deficits to below 3% of GDP, a measure of the value of their economies.

READ:  Zimbabwe's President Pleads for Patience in Bringing Economy Back From ‘Dead’

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: