Connect with us

World News

UN Warns COVID-19 Has Threatened Child Vaccination Programs

Published

on

UN Warns COVID-19 Has Threatened Child Vaccination Programs

United Nations agencies- the World Health Organization and UNICEF have said on Wednesday millions of children are at risk because of low levels of childhood immunizations against dangerous diseases such as measles, polio, tetanus, meningitis, whooping cough and diphtheria. U.N says the vaccination levels have dropped alarmingly during the covid-19 pandemic.

Children living in remote rural areas and urban slums are also said to be vulnerable.

READ:  Burundi Orders UN To Shut Human Rights Office

Nigeria, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Chad, Central African Republic and South Sudan are some of the African countries with high numbers of children who have not been vaccinated.

World Health Organization (WHO) leadership in a joint report with UNICEF, said “the avoidable suffering and death caused by children missing out on routine immunizations could be far greater than covid-19 itself.

READ:  UK: Boris Johnson Prepares Plan For Coronavirus Lockdown Exit

Three-quarters of the 82 countries that responded to a survey for the report said they had suffered coronavirus-related disruptions to their immunization programmes as of May 2020. At least 30 measles vaccination campaigns have been or are at risk of being cancelled, threatening new outbreaks of the contagious viral disease this year and beyond.

READ:  Saudi Arabia To Invest 100m Euros In Africa's Sahel Region

WHO and UNICEF said nearly 14 million children globally were not immunized against preventable illnesses last year.

So far, Angola, Ethiopia and Burkina Faso are among the few countries that have resumed mass vaccinations following strict guidelines.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

World News

Alexei Navalny Discharged From Berlin Hospital

Published

on

By

Alexei Navalny Discharged From Berlin Hospital

Medical authorities at the German hospital in berlin that has been treating Russian opposition leader, Alexei Navalny say he has improved enough to be released from the hospital.

Navalny is the most vociferous opponent of president Vladimir Putin who was flown to Germany two days after falling ill in August on A Russian domestic flight.  On his arrival in Germany, medical tests revealed he was poisoned with a Soviet-er nerve agent.

READ:  President Buhari Reacts To Mass Defection From APC

Navalny was kept in an induced coma for more than two weeks.  Members of his team have accused the kremlin of involvement in the poisoning.  Russian, of course, has strongly denied that charge.

READ:  Grigor Dimitrov Tests Positive For Covid-19

Medical officials at the berlin hospital say it is possible Navalny would completely recover from the nerve agent poisoning.

Continue Reading

World News

Greece: Hundreds Of Asylum Seekers On Lesbos Test Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

Greece- Hundreds Of Asylum Seekers On Lesbos Test Positive For COVID-19

Authorities in Greece have confirmed two hundred forty-three persons among thousands of asylum-seekers on the Island of Lesbos have tested positive for coronavirus infections.

Health officials say the average age of those confirmed positive was 24, and most were asymptomatic.

READ:  Mike Pompeo Lands In Sudan After 'Historic' Flight

All one hundred sixty police and administrative staff who had come in contact with the migrants tested negative for the virus.

Government spokesperson, Stelios Petsas says the positive cases from lesbos would be added to Greece’s official coronavirus figures.

READ:  Burundi Orders UN To Shut Human Rights Office

More than 12,000 asylum-seekers were left homeless nearly two weeks ago after fires on two successive nights destroyed the notoriously overcrowded Moria camp.

Greek authorities say the fires were deliberately set by a small group of Afghans angered by lockdown and isolation orders.

READ:  Spain Aims To Phase Out Coronavirus Lockdown As It Confirms 435 More Deaths

The country is experiencing a resurgence of the virus with more than 15,000 confirmed positive cases and 338 deaths in this country of nearly 11 million persons.

Continue Reading

World News

Italians Vote To Slash Size Of Parliament By A Third

Published

on

By

Italians Vote To Slash Size Of Parliament By A Third

Italians have voted in a referendum to reduce the size of the country’s parliament by more than a third.

Almost 70% of the people have voted in favour of the change, with almost all votes counted.

READ:  Saudi Arabia To Invest 100m Euros In Africa's Sahel Region

The number of MPs in the lower house will be reduced from 634 to 400. The senate will also be downsized.

The referendum was pushed by the five star movement, a part of the governing coalition, which argues this new move will reduce costs.

READ:  UN Says Ceasefire Agreed To End Clashes In Libya's Tripoli

The referendum was held alongside several key regional elections.

The total number of MPs and senators will be cut from 945 to 600. The change had already been pushed through parliament.

READ:  Cameroon Turns Stadium Into Covid-19 Isolation Center As Virus Cases Hit 650

However, critics argue this will weaken the authority of parliament and deliver minimal cost-saving benefits.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: