Connect with us

World News

Ukraine Sees Record Daily High Of 1,197 New Coronavirus Cases

Published

on

Ukraine Sees Record Daily High Of 1,197 New Coronavirus Cases

Ukraine’s council of security and defence on Thursday reported 1,197 new coronavirus cases a record daily high.

The total number of cases rose to 68,794, including 1,673 deaths and 38,154 recovered as of July 30.

READ:  Sondland Confirms Quid Pro Quo Between Trump, Ukraine

Following the gradual lifting of restrictions that began in late-May the number of new daily infections has increased sharply in the past two months.

World News

Eighth Brazilian Cabinet Minister Tests Positive For Coronavirus

Published

on

By

Eighth Brazilian Cabinet Minister Tests Positive For Coronavirus

With more than 2.8 million cases of the Coronavirus confirmed in Brazil, the country fights the world’s worst outbreak outside the United States as another minister in Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro’s Cabinet tested positive for the virus making him the eight among the 23 cabinet ministers to be diagnosed.

READ:  Brexit Deal: U.K. Parliament To Vote On Amendments

Jorge Oliveira, secretary of the presidency, has been working remotely in isolation since his diagnosis.

Recently, Brazilian ministers who have recently had contact with the country’s president Jair Bolsonaro have said they are being tested for coronavirus after the president disclosed he tested positive for the virus weeks back.

READ:  There Are More Suspected Coronavirus Cases In Lagos - Health Commissioner

On July 25, Bolsonaro resumed official meetings and travel after a test showed he was no longer infected after he and his wife, Michelle had contracted the disease.

Bolsonaro has in the past played down the risks posed by Coronavirus.

READ:  India Surge Continues With Nearly 10,000 Cases

According to the Health Ministry on Tuesday 51,603 new cases and 1,154 deaths were confirmed in the past 24 hours bringing the official death toll in Brazil to 94,665, since the pandemic began.

Continue Reading

World News

Beirut Blast Death Toll Reaches 100 With More Than 4,000 Wounded

Published

on

By

Beirut Blast Death Toll Reaches 100 With More Than 4,000 Wounded

In Lebanon, at least 100 persons have been killed and nearly 4,000 injured after a huge explosion devastated the port area of the capital Beirut on Tuesday.

At the moment rescue workers in Lebanon are still searching through rubble looking for survivors for more than a hundred people who are missing.

President Michel Aoun who has called for an emergency cabinet meeting on Wednesday said that 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, used in fertilizers and bombs, had been stored for six years at the port without safety measures, a decision he said that was “unacceptable”.

READ:  Denuclearization Of The Korean Peninsula

Many Lebanese are expressing immense shock and sadness at the destruction, and great anger towards those who allowed the explosion which sent shockwaves across the capital to happen.

According to BBC an eyewitness Hadi Nasrallah who narrated his ordeal after the explosion said he saw the fire but did not expect the blast. “I lost my hearing for a few seconds, I knew something was wrong, and then suddenly the glass just shattered all over the car, the cars around us, the shops, the stores, the buildings. Just glass going down from all over the building.”

READ:  Brexit Deal: U.K. Parliament To Vote On Amendments

Dazed, weeping and injured people walked through streets searching for relatives as many were also left homeless by the blast, and some residents said their destroyed homes had been burgled in the night as their windows and doors were blown open.

READ:  Alexander Vindman, Jennifer Williams Testify In Public Impeachment Inquiry Hearings

The head of Lebanon’s Red Cross, George Kettani, said at least 100 persons had been killed.

He said “we are still sweeping the area. There could still be victims. I hope not.”

The Lebanese government has said it will observe an official period of mourning for three days from Wednesday.

Continue Reading

World News

Cancer Diagnoses Rates Fell By Half During US Lockdown

Published

on

By

Cancer Diagnoses Rates Fell By Half During US Lockdown

A latest study to examine the impacts of COVID-19 lockdowns has revealed that the number of cancers diagnosed weekly in the United States fell by almost fifty percent during March and April compared to the recent average.

The new analysis, published in JAMA Network Open, established a baseline period from January 2019 to February 2020 to determine the average weekly number of cancers diagnosed by six types: breast, colorectal, lung, pancreatic, gastric and esophageal.

READ:  India Surge Continues With Nearly 10,000 Cases

Trends that are being confirmed through ongoing studies showed that emergency room visits additionally appear to have dropped for heart attacks, strokes and even appendicitis.

READ:  Brexit Deal: U.K. Parliament To Vote On Amendments

The authors from Quest Diagnostics, a laboratory company found “during the pandemic, the weekly number fell 46.4% (from 4,310 to 2,310) for the 6 cancers combined, with significant declines in all cancer types.”

The drop was particularly stark for breast cancer, with diagnoses rates falling 51.8 percent.

According to the UN, amid the Coronavirus pandemic, child vaccinations have also stalled globally and world health bodies are alarmed by the impact on the fight against HIV, malaria and tuberculosis as screening campaigns, logistics and access to health care have been disrupted.

READ:  Algeria Confirms Two More Coronavirus Cases

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: