Connect with us

African News

Kenyan Govt Puts Two Estates Where Coronavirus Cases Have Spiked Under Lockdown

Published

on

The Kenyan government has put two estates on lock down as coronavirus spikes.  Effective Wednesday night, movement has been banned for the next two weeks in and out of Eastleigh Estate in Nairobi and old town in Mombasa, as they have both become epicenters of community spread of the virus.  Markets and eateries in the two estates will also remain closed.

The directive was issued as the country recorded 47 new cases in 24 hours, stretching the infections tally to five hundred eighty-two.  Two more persons are also reported to have died of the contagion.  The government said locking down the two estates is a necessary step in a bid to contain a serious spread of the disease.

The Kenyan government has announced it will bear all the costs of coronavirus testing to encourage more Kenyans to get screened.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Okonjo-Iweala Named Forbes Africa Person Of The Year

Published

on

By

Nigeria’s former Finance Minister, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has on Tuesday been named Forbes Africa Person of the Year 2020.

Forbes Africa disclosed this in a tweet saying Okonjo-Iweala who is a candidate for the office of the Director-General of the World Trade Organisation (WTO), has been named “The 2020 African person of the Year.”

Reacting to the news, Okonjo-Iweala said she is “thrilled to be named Forbes Africa-CNBC ‘2020 African of the Year’ following in the footsteps of my great brothers Paul Kagame and Akin Adesina.”

She added “This award is for Africans suffering the health and economic impact of COVID-19. The energy and resilience of Africans inspires me”.

Continue Reading

African News

Mauritania Uncovers Illegal Migration Networks

Published

on

By

Mauritanian authorities say they have uncovered more than 30 illegal migration networks and repatriated around 4,000 persons to various west African countries.

Interior minister, Mohamed Salem Ould Merzoug, told local media there had been an increase in the number of persons trying to reach Spain’s Canary Islands – an alternative route to the Mediterranean Sea where some migrants have been deterred by stricter controls and instability in Libya.

The United Nations has called for greater efforts to disrupt people-smuggling rings, after more than 140 persons died off the coast of Senegal in October in the deadliest shipwreck of the year.

Continue Reading

African News

Amnesty Urges UN To Maintain South Sudan Arms Embargo

Published

on

By

Amnesty International is urging the United Nations Security Council to maintain its arms embargo on South Sudan amid what the human rights group calls “extreme violence by government forces, and an increase in attacks on civilians, including war crimes.”

The UN security council is due to conduct a mid-term review of its arms embargo and other measures on South Sudan before mid-December.

The council first established an arms embargo on South Sudan in 2018.  It was renewed last year and subsequently extended by a year in may this year.

Amnesty says it had documented “a series of extrajudicial executions, forced displacement, torture, and destruction of civilian property by government and former opposition forces.”

The group cited a four-fold increase in violence in the states of Jonglei, Lakes, Warrap and Western Equatoria between April and June compared to the same period last year.

Amnesty says as South Sudan was calling for the embargo to be reviewed earlier this year, “government soldiers were shooting civilians, burning homes, raping women and girls, and displacing tens of thousands of people from their villages in the south of the country.”

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.