Connect with us

World News

George Floyd: Protesters Set Minneapolis Police Station Ablaze

Published

on

George Floyd: Protesters Set Minneapolis Police Station Ablaze

In the United States, a police precinct in Minneapolis, Minnesota has been set on fire on Thursday night during a protests which erupted across the United States over the death of George Floyd, an unarmed Black man, intensified.

Demonstrators vented their rage over the death of Floyd who appeared in a viral video gasping for breath while a white police officer knelt on his neck to the ground for several minutes.

READ:  Rivers Election: Nigerian Army, INEC Disunited Over Allegations Of Invasion

Floyd died on Monday. Hundreds of protesters marched in downtown Minneapolis for a third night on Thursday, demanding justice and an end to police violence.

The four officers involved were swiftly fired, but Floyd’s family, community leaders and residents are calling for arrests to be made.

Earlier, police officers fired tear gas and rubber bullets in an attempt to disperse a crowd outside the 3rd Precinct, the epicentre of the unrest.

READ:  Scale Of Indonesian Disaster Emerges But Rescuers Hold Hope For Survivors

But the cordon around the police station was eventually breached by protesters, who set fire to it and two other nearby buildings, as officers withdrew.

The Minneapolis Police Department said in a statement that the 3rd Precinct had been evacuated shortly after 22:00 “in the interest of the safety of our personnel”.

READ:  Theresa May Faces Internal Problems As Brexit Saga Continues

On Thursday, Floyd’s brother, Philonise Floyd, told CNN he hoped the officers involved got the death penalty, he added that the officers who “executed my brother in broad daylight” must be arrested and that he was “tired of seeing black men die”.

World News

Iran Hits Back At US Sanctions Threat After Arms Embargo Expiry

Published

on

By

Iran Hits Back At US Sanctions Threat After Arms Embargo Expiry

Despite the United States protests to extend the United Nations arms embargo on Iran, the Middle East country is now free to import and export arms from and to any country as Tehran hailed the lifting of a 13-year UN arms embargo on their military as a momentous day.

The embargo which was lifted on Sunday morning was in line with the five-year timetable set out in the Iran nuclear deal, which was signed in 2015 which has been under intense pressure from Washington since President Donald Trump unilaterally withdrew the US from the accord two years ago.

READ:  Egypt Tries Plasma Treatment To Fight COVID-19 Pandemic

In August, the Trump administration had sought to extend the embargo but suffered a defeat at the UN Security Council, when Russia and China voted against the move and 11 powers, including the UK, France and Germany, abstained.

Iran’s foreign minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif said the expiration of the embargo was a “momentous day” for the international community, which had defied the US’s “malign” efforts and protected the nuclear accord.

READ:  German Parties Agree Diesel Costs Deal - But Keep It Secret

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned of consequences for any individuals or entities that conduct arms deals with Iran.

Pompeo said in a statement “every nation that seeks peace and stability in the Middle East and supports the fight against terrorism should refrain from any arms transactions with Iran,” he added that “providing arms to Iran will only aggravate tensions in the region.”

READ:  UK Brexit: Citizens Anxious Over European Union Future

The expiration of the embargo, which the UN Security Council imposed in 2007, was agreed as one of the so-called sunset clauses in the accord.

Iran’s president Hassan Rouhani said this week that Tehran could import and export arms to “whoever we like as of Sunday”. But potential buyers will be wary of being targeted by secondary US sanctions.

Continue Reading

World News

Italy Tightens Rules Amid Surge In Coronavirus Cases

Published

on

By

Italy Tightens Rules Amid Surge In Coronavirus Cases

At the start of the coronavirus pandemic, Italy was the European nation hardest hit and now its number of fatalities place it second only after the United Kingdom in the continent, but amid a surge in coronavirus cases, Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte has on Sunday announced a new raft of measures to tighten restrictions.

READ:  Trump Again Makes Racist Remarks Against Democrat Congresswomen

The moves came as Italy recorded its highest daily infection rate for the second day in a row as the country recorded 10,925 new cases and another 11,705 on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

Italy has now recorded 414,000 confirmed coronavirus cases with more than 36,500 fatalities.

READ:  Egypt Tries Plasma Treatment To Fight COVID-19 Pandemic

In a televised address by the prime minister, he said “We cannot waste time, we must put in place measures to avoid a generalized lockdown, which could severely compromise the economy.

Conte further urged everyone to do their part in fighting the pandemic as he added that “the most effective measures remain the basic precautions: mask, distance and hand hygiene. We must pay attention to situations where we let our guard down – with relatives and friends. In these situations, the maximum precaution is required.”

READ:  Four New Cases Of Coronavirus Confirmed In Lagos

Continue Reading

World News

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Wins Second Term In Election Landslide

Published

on

By

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern Wins Second Term In Election Landslide

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has on Saturday won a landslide victory in the country’s general election.

The prime minister leveraging on her success battling COVID-19 gained an unprecedented outright majority and the chance to implement her reform agenda.

So far, Ardern’s centre-left Labour Party has won 49% of the vote and she is projected to win a rare outright parliamentary majority with a forecast to take around 64 seats in the 120-member parliament.

READ:  Italy Surpasses China In Number Of Coronavirus Deaths

The opposition centre-right National Party has admitted defeat in the poll as Judith Collins told cheering supporters in Auckland “congratulations on your result because it is, I believe, an outstanding result for the Labour Party. He said it has been a tough campaign.”

READ:  Italy's PM Conte Given New Mandate To Form Government

Ardern in a victory speech in front of hundreds of cheering supporters in Auckland said her party had gotten more support from New Zealanders that at any time in at least 50 years.

She said “this has not been an ordinary election, and it’s not an ordinary time,” adding that “It’s been full of uncertainty and anxiety, and we set out to be an antidote to that.”

READ:  Bolivia's Morales Resigns After Protests, Lashes Out At 'Coup

Ardern had campaigned on her government’s success in eliminating community transmission of the virus, which has caused just 25 deaths in a population of five million.

The pandemic is just one of a string of crises that showed Ardern’s leadership qualities during a torrid first term.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: