Connect with us

African News

Africa CDC Calls For Greater Effort To Counter Coronavirus

Published

on

Africa CDC Calls For Greater Effort To Counter Coronavirus

The head of Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, John Nkengasong has called for a greater effort to counter coronavirus at a time when there is evidence of increasing community spread in countries across the continent.

He said people with flu-like symptoms must be tested and public health measures like social distancing, wearing of masks and hand washing must intensify as cases of the virus multiplied but more slowly in Africa than in Asia or Europe.

READ:  Defiant Sudan Activist Faces Mounting Legal Woes

Community transmission refers to cases where covid-19 patients had no travel history or known contact with infected people.

All nations on the continent have now reported more than 129,000 confirmed cases of the infection and more than 3,700 deaths from a population of more than one billion.

READ:  Coronavirus: Lagos Health Commissioner Akin Abayomi Tests Positive

Nearly two million tests had been carried out across the continent and is aiming to reach 12 million goal.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

Published

on

By

South Africa’s Health Minister Tests Positive For COVID-19

South Africa’s health minister Zweli Mkhize has on Sunday said that he and his wife have tested positive for COVID- 19.

The minister who is now self-isolating tested after feeling tired and with a loss of appetite.

He is now self- isolating and says he’s optimistic that they will both recover fully.

READ:  Zimbabwe Opposition Leader Chamisa Appears Before Motlanthe Commission

In order to reduce the risk of a second wave, Mkhize urged citizens to continue to take health precautions having become the fifth minister to catch the virus in South Africa.

On Monday, president Cyril Ramaphosa wished the health minister a speedy recovery after contracting coronavirus.

READ:  Malawi: Protesters Will Be Met With Force, President Warns

Ramaphosa in a tweet said “I wish you and your wife, Dr May Mkhize, a safe, restful and speedy recovery from #COVID19.”

He added “I also join the Minister in calling on all South Africans to remain careful and do all that we need to do to #StaySafe and help the country avoid a second wave of the pandemic.”

READ:  Tunisia Election: Political Outsiders Headed To Runoff 

With more than 703,793 coronavirus cases with 18,471 deaths, South Africa remains the worst-hit by the pandemic on the continent.

Continue Reading

African News

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Published

on

By

Madagascar Announces End Of State Of Health Emergency

Madagascar has announced the end of the state of health emergency imposed to curb COVID-19- pandemic

The Madagascan government announced on Sunday, halt to the health emergency following the president Andry Rajoelina`s announcement that the country has had 96% recovery rate.

READ:  Covid-19: All Botswana MPs Placed Under Mandatory Quarantine

Rajoelina attributed the recovery to some of the measures taken including the distribution of herbal- COVID-organics. The World Health Organization says there is no cure for the virus.

READ:  U.S. President Donald Trump:  Coronavirus Likely To "Get Worse Before It Gets Better" 

Madagascar has recorded 16,000 coronavirus cases and 238 deaths.

Country’s borders remain closed due to the increase in cases in other countries. International flights to mainland Madagascar is completely suspended.

READ:  Defiant Sudan Activist Faces Mounting Legal Woes

An airport –nosy is the only airport open to countries not suffering from a second wave of the pandemic.

Continue Reading

African News

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Published

on

By

Guinea: Vote Count Begins After Tense Election

Ballots are being counted in Guinea’s presidential election as incumbent, 82-year-old Alpha Condé, seeks a controversial third term.

A divisive new constitution allows Alpha Condé to run again, amid political and ethnic tensions. Ten other candidates are also running.

Sunday’s election was conducted in a tense atmosphere although security minister, Damantang Camara said no major incidents were registered.

READ:  NCDC Reports 276 Covid-19 Cases As Total Hits 8,344

He said he was concerned by a statement from the leader of the opposition Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) party, Cellou Dalein Diallo, who said he would not recognize the results if he would not win.

He urged candidates to refrain from making irresponsible statements.

READ:  Ebola Outbreak: UN Chief Visits DRC, Shows Solidarity With Citizens

Presidential candidates need more than 50% of the vote for an outright victory, or there will be a second round in November.

The electoral law says provisional results must be announced 72 hours after closure of polling stations.

Candidates will then have eight days to lodge appeals, failure to which the final results will be deemed uncontested.

READ:  Uganda Protests Police Killing Of Two Nationals In Rwanda

Meanwhile, Guinean prime minister Ibrahima Kassory Fofana has said candidates should refrain from proclaiming victory before the actual results are announced.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: