Connect with us

World News

Coffins Of Ukrainians Killed In Tehran Plane Crash Arrive In Kiev

Published

on

Coffins Of Ukrainians Killed In Tehran Plane Crash Arrive In Kiev

The coffins of 11 Ukrainians have arrived in Kiev on Sunday.  They were killed when Iran’s military mistakenly shot down a passenger airliner, after takeoff from Tehran international airport.

Ukraine president Volodymyr Zelenskiy, prime minister Oleksiy Honcharuk, and other senior Ukrainian officials took part in a solemn ceremony after the 11 flag-draped coffins arrived in the Ukrainian capital.  They were carrying the bodies of nine Ukrainian international airlines crew members, and two passengers.  They died along with a hundred sixty-five others when their plane was shot down twelve days ago.

READ:  UAE, Sweden Pledge Emergency Aid To Cyclone Idai Affected Countries

Iranian officials have said the plane was un-intentionally shot down by air defenses who were on high alert during heightened tensions with the United States.

READ:  Protests In Tehran After Iran Admits Shooting Down Plane

Ukrainians and officials from four other countries that lost nationals in the disaster have demanded a “thorough, independent, and transparent” investigation.

Senior Iranian officials have called for the punishment of those responsible for shooting down the plane.

Foreign ministers of Afghanistan, Britain, Canada, Sweden, and Ukraine issued a joint statement after a meeting in London on Saturday to pressure Iran to give a full accounting.

READ:  British PM Seeks Further Brexit Extension

Most of the victims on the flight were Iranians or dual citizens, many of them students returning to studies abroad, or families returning home after visiting relatives in Iran.

World News

Covid-19 Pandemic: U.N. Chief Calls For Effective Global Response

Published

on

By

Covid-19 Pandemic: U.N. Chief Calls For Effective Global Response

United Nations secretary-general Antonio Guterres has called for a much stronger and more effective global response to the coronavirus pandemic and to the social and economic devastation that covid-19 is causing around the world.

Guterres also warns of the risk involved in the combination of the disease and its economic impact. Which he says will contribute to “enhanced instability, enhanced unrest, and enhanced conflict.”

READ:  Algerian Military Plane Crash Kills Two

The U.N. chief was speaking at the launch of a report on the socioeconomic impact of covid-19.

He stressed that victory is certain if everybody comes together, forgets political games and understands that humanity is presently at stake.

READ:  European Powers To Decide In Coming Days On Iran Dispute Mechanism

Guterres announced the establishment of a covid-19 response and recovery fund to support efforts in low- and middle-income countries, with the aim of swiftly enabling governments to tackle the crisis and promote recovery.

The secretary-general said developed countries must massively increase the resources available to the developing world by expanding the capacity of the IMF to issue special drawing rights, and enabling other international financial institutions to rapidly inject resources into countries that need them.

READ:  Number Of International Students In The U.S. Drops - Reports

Continue Reading

World News

White House Projects 100,000-240,000 U.S. Deaths From Coronavirus

Published

on

By

White House Projects 100,000-240,000 US Deaths From Coronavirus

The White House has projected up to 240,000 deaths in the United States could result from the coronavirus pandemic.

The projections were made during a white house briefing on Tuesday.  Officials say close to two million persons would have died if no social distancing measures had been put in place across the country.

READ:  U.S. Committee Seeks To Interview Boeing Engineer On Safety Of The 737 Max

Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Dr Anthony Fauci, says the united states needs to get more prepared for the coming days.

President Donald Trump has called on Americans to brace up for what he called a “rough two-week period.” but he predicted the country would soon see a “light at the end of the tunnel” of the global catastrophe.  Covid-19 has killed more than 3,700 Americans and infected a hundred eighty-six thousand thus far.

READ:  Ireland Insists May Keeps Pledge On Brexit Border

Many states and local governments already have stiffer controls in place on mobility and gatherings.

New York has been hit the hardest, with more than fifteen hundred deaths, but new hot spots are emerging across the us, including Illinois, Louisiana, Michigan and Florida.

READ:  British PM Seeks Further Brexit Extension

Continue Reading

World News

13-Year-Old Boy Dies In London After Testing Positive For Coronavirus

Published

on

By

13-Year-Old Boy Dies In London After Testing Positive For Coronavirus

A 13-year-old boy from London who tested positive for COVID-19, becoming Britain’s youngest victim of the pandemic.

The family said in a statement on Tuesday “Ismail was only 13 years old without any pre-existing health conditions and sadly he died without any family members close by due to the highly infectious nature of Covid 19.”

The teen’s family said he started showing symptoms and had difficulties breathing and was admitted to Kings College Hospital. “He was put on a ventilator and then put into an induced coma but sadly died yesterday morning. To our knowledge he had no underlying health conditions. We are beyond devastated.”

READ:  Hong Kong Protesters Return To The Streets, Call For Leader's Resignation

Ismail whose dad died of cancer, leaving his mum to care for seven children – didn’t have any family with him at the time due to the highly infectious nature of the virus.

A GoFundMe page set up by Wednesday morning to help the family pay for the child’s “janazah”, or Muslim funeral, had raised more than 51,000 pounds (about $63,000), with 2,700 persons donating – well over the goal of 4,000 pounds (about $4,944).

READ:  UAE, Sweden Pledge Emergency Aid To Cyclone Idai Affected Countries

A family friend who set up the page said any extra funds would be given to the family.

Spokesman for King’s College hospital NHS foundation trust expressing condolence said “sadly, a 13-year old boy who tested positive for Covid-19 has passed away, and our thoughts and condolences are with the family at this time.” adding that “the death has been referred to the coroner and no further comment will be made.”

READ:  Domestic Opposition Could Force "No-deal" Brexit

London Mayor Sadiq Khan paid tribute to the young boy on Wednesday

Khan said “pause and reflect how devastating that is for his family who will probably never recover.” He further warned “young people should not believe they were immune from catching the virus.”

More than 25,000 cases of coronavirus and at least 1,789 persons have died after testing positive in the UK.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: