Connect with us

African News

Angolan Billionaire Says Anti-Corruption Drive Jeopardizes Rule Of Law

Published

on

The daughter of Angola’s former president says she was blind-sided by a court decision to freeze her assets. Isabel Dos Santos told Voice of America in a Skype interview that she received no summons and was unaware there was an ongoing process to take the action.

Dos Santos is the eldest daughter of Angola’s long-serving president, Jose Eduardo Dos Santos, who stepped down two years ago. She has been called Africa’s richest woman.  Forbes magazine estimate her net worth to be close to two and a half billion dollars.  She is now being investigated for corruption by her father’s successor.

Dos Santos holds a twenty-five percent stake in the Angolan mobile phone company Unitel, twenty-five percent stake in Angolan Bank, and other interests in cable television, a supermarket chain, and another bank.  She says the Angolan government’s actions will hurt thousands of people rather than combating corruption.

A court accused Isabel Dos Santos and her husband last month of causing the state to incur more than a billion dollars in losses, through a scheme that involved two state-owned companies that were transferring foreign currency abroad, but were never repaid.

Dos Santos denies the charges and accused the government of a politically-driven effort to target her family.

African News

Suspected Boko Haram Attack Kills Four Chadian Soldiers

Published

on

By

Four soldiers have been reported killed in south-west Chad when a boat exploded. Dozens others were said to have been injured when an explosive device placed at the bottom of the boat exploded.  The device was thought to have been an improvised bomb.

The blast happened on Tuesday night near Ngouboua, around 25km from the Nigerian border.

A district administrator said authorities are trying to find out if this is a new technique of Boko Haram.

The Boko Haram insurgency began in north-eastern Nigeria more than a decade ago. The UN says violence has spread to neighbouring countries, killing more than 30,000 persons and forcing two million from their homes.

Continue Reading

African News

Ethiopia ‘Begins Final Stage’ Of Tigray Assault

Published

on

By

Ethiopia`s government has progressed with its offensive operation on the northern Tigray region. Many countries, Africa Union, European Union and the United Nations have all called for de-escalation but prime minister Abiy Ahmed has said federal troops have begun the final phase of assault operation on the northern Tigray state.

At least 600 persons are reported to have been killed in the ongoing conflict that has lasted three weeks. Thousands more have abandoned their homes and fled to neighbouring Sudan.

In a statement, prime minister Abiy Ahmed said “great care” would be taken to protect the residents of the region’s capital, Mekelle, from harm as his troops head there. But he also warned residents to stay indoors.

He said thousands of Tigrayan forces and militia had surrendered in compliance to the 72 hours ultimatum. Tigray officials are yet to respond to the claim. It has been difficult to verify claims from either side because of a communications blackout. Abiy had given Tigray forces a deadline to peacefully surrender which ended on Wednesday.

Abiy Ahmed has continued to reject international intervention in Ethiopia’s internal conflict and said the Tigray situation would be resolved in accordance to laws and international obligations.

The un had asked the Ethiopian government to protect civilians as it expresses fears about their safety and welfare.

Meanwhile, Africa Union mission has arrived in Ethiopia’s capital, Addis Ababa, to try to mediate between the federal government and the northern Tigray state after three weeks of conflict.

Continue Reading

African News

Kenya: President Kenyatta Reveals Why He Left Twitter

Published

on

By

It appears negative comments on twitter have driven Kenya president Uhuru Kenyatta to his limit. Stating the reason he closed his account on the social media app, Kenyatta said he was angered by insults on twitter, so he shut down his personal Twitter account.

He said insults keep him up at nights causing him to lose sleep.

The head of state’s deactivated personal Twitter account had more than three million followers. His administration now uses a state house account, which has around one million followers.

The communication team did not at the time reveal the reason for deactivating the president’s account.

Kenyans on Twitter are known for expressing themselves on the platform often leading to online fights with tweeters from other countries.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.