Connect with us

World News

Trump Enters War Of Words Between Macron, Erdogan

Published

on

Trump Enters War Of Words Between Macron, Erdogan

NATO leaders, including U.S. President Donald Trump, are gathered in London to mark the alliance’s 70th anniversary.

As is customary for him, president trump had to chew on somebody; so, he slammed French leader, Emmanuel Macron, ahead of their meeting on Tuesday saying Macron’s earlier comment on NATO’s “brain death” was “very nasty.”   Macron had said a few months ago that Trump’s actions had caused NATO’s “brain death.”

READ:  Heavy Jail Terms For Catalans Spark Outrage In Barcelona 

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan responded, challenging Macron to check his own “brain death.”

Fellow NATO leaders attending the summit in London will be relieved that Trump, who derailed last year’s agenda with his demands, appears to be satisfied with how the allies have stepped up their military investment.

READ:  US: House Chairman Demands Six Years Of Trump's Tax Returns

But UK prime minister Boris Johnson will still be nervous, that trump’s presence will hurt him in the closing stages of the British election campaign.

The North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) was founded after world war two to counter the threat of soviet expansion. The 29 member-states pledged to come to each other’s aid if any of them were attacked.

READ:  Africa Needs More Than $200 Billion To Respond To Pandemic, U.N. Chief Says

Macron complained last month that NATO members were no longer co-operating on key issues.

World News

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Published

on

By

Belarus President Closes Western Borders, Puts Army On High Alert

Protesters in Belarus are still angry in their sixth week of mass protests demanding the resignation of president Alexander Lukashenko.

The president has announced, in retaliation, he is putting troops on high alert and closing the country’s borders with Poland and Lithuania.  He also said the Belarusian border with Ukraine would be strengthened.

READ:  US: DC Police Say Black Shooting Victim ‘Brandished A Firearm’

Lukashenko insists the six weeks of protests are driven by the west. He faces increasing criticism from the united states and the European Union.

Demonstrations began after the disputed august presidential election official results gave the authoritarian leader a sixth term in office–results opponents say were manipulated.

READ:  Heavy Jail Terms For Catalans Spark Outrage In Barcelona 

Continue Reading

World News

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Published

on

By

Bolivian Interim President Anez Withdraws From Election Race

Bolivia’s interim president Jeanine Anez has withdrawn from next month’s presidential election, saying she’s withdrawing in the interest of the party.

Anez, a former conservative senator, took office during the power vacuum that followed former president Morales’s departure after allegations of irregularities in last year’s election.  Those allegations fueled violent protests, and army pressure forced the country’s first indigenous president into exile in Mexico.

READ:  Heavy Jail Terms For Catalans Spark Outrage In Barcelona 

Anez says if she does not step down, Morales would possibly return to power.

She declined to name the candidate for whom she will vote.

Next month’s election is the delayed rerun of last year’s ballot.  Anez’s candidacy had sparked controversy after she initially ruled herself out and pledged to guide the country to transparent new elections.

READ:  Global Covid-19 Cases Cross 12 Million As US Reaches Grim Milestone Of 3 Million Infections

By pulling out of the race, analysts say Anez could increase chances that the election will be pushed to a second round by consolidating the anti-Arce vote.

READ:  Rwandan Court Acquits Government Critic, Diane Rwigara

To avoid a second round, the election winner requires at least 40 percent of valid votes in the first round and a 10-point advantage over the closest competitor.

Continue Reading

World News

First Case-Free Day For New Zealand In Five Weeks

Published

on

By

First Case-Free Day For New Zealand In Five Weeks

New Zealand for the first time in more than five weeks has reported no new confirmed cases of the coronavirus amid efforts to stamp out an outbreak discovered in Auckland last month ending a spell of 102 days free of community transmission.

READ:  Instagram Hit By Outage In Several Cities

The South Pacific nation with its population of five million has reported more than 1,800 cases of COVID-19 and 25 fatalities.

The report on Friday also marked the fourth consecutive day without any cases of community transmission. All recent cases have been found among quarantined travellers returning from abroad.

READ:  US Withdraws From U.N Human Rights Council

Following strict measures in response to the COVID-19 pandemic which were widely praised, New Zealand is in its deepest recession in decades after the country’s GDP shrank by 12.2% between April and June as the lockdown and border closures hit.

READ:  Iran Demands Britain Immediately Release Its Oil Tanker

Auckland lockdown began on 12 August after four cases were detected in the city of 1.5 million.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: