Connect with us

Nigerian News

We’ll Continue To Use Smart Card Reader In All Elections – INEC

Published

on

We'll Continue To Use Smart Card Reader In All Elections - INEC

Kogi rerun senatorial election is scheduled for tomorrow, and the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has said it will use and deploy Smart Card Readers in all elections, including tomorrow’s reruns in Kogi West senatorial district, Ajaokuta federal constituency and Sabuwa state constituency.

INEC said it was necessary for the commission to clarify its position on the use of the card readers because some remarks had been credited to its national commissioner and chairman, information and voter education committee, Festus Okoye at a program by the situation room.  INEC says the group had given the impression that smart card readers were no longer useful in the electoral process.

READ:  Presidency Distances Buhari From Onyema's U.S. Indictment For Alleged Money Laundering

The commission said it introduced the SCR in the electoral process principally as an additional confirmation and authentication tool to determine the authenticity of cards presented by voters, and to eliminate impersonation.  The commission says these are serious challenges to the electoral process in the country.

READ:  2019 Elections: CUPP Commences Search For Consensus Candidate

Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, candidate in the Kogi west senatorial rerun election, Dino Melaye, has raised an alarm in which he has alleged that his state governor, Yahaya Bello and Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna, were represented at an alleged meeting held in lagos state, which he says was held to ensure his loss in Saturday’s rerun election.

READ:  FOGON Petitions U.S. Government Over Atiku Visa

He claims the meeting took place on Thursday and was attended by APC chairman and two judges.

Melaye will go head to head on Saturday with Smart Adeyemi of the All Progressives Congress, APC.

Nigerian News

ECOWAS Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu’s Case Against Nigeria

Published

on

By

ECOWAS Court Dismisses Nnamdi Kanu's Case Against Nigeria

IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu has suffered a loss at the ECOWAS court, where his case against Nigeria has been dismissed.

Kanu had hauled the Nigerian government to court over what he said were torture, assault and subjection to inhuman treatment allegedly meted to him by security operatives who arrested him in 2015.

READ:  FOGON Petitions U.S. Government Over Atiku Visa

ECOWAS regional court ruled on Thursday Kanu failed to prove his case against the federal government.

Kanu’s request for eight hundred million dollars monetary compensation was also dismissed.

READ:  NASS Begins Work On Electoral Act Amendment Bill

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

Nigeria Suspends Turkish Airlines From Its Airports

Published

on

By

Nigeria Suspends Turkish Airlines From Its Airports

Turkish Airlines will not be able to fly in and out of Nigeria from Monday.  The Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) has suspended the airline because of what it says were persistent baggage delays.

NCAA’s letter to the airline warns it will remain suspended until it is ready to use the right aircraft size for flights into Nigeria–aircraft that would bring passengers and their checked-in luggage at the same time.

READ:  Air Force Destroys Boko Haram Meeting Venue In Borno

NCAA says the problem has worsened in the last two weeks, when the most recent Turkish Airlines flight arrived in the country with only fifteen percent of passengers’ checked-in baggage.

READ:  Ministerial Screening: Dino Melaye Reveals How Buhari Made Process Difficult

The aviation authority says these failures by the airline have created serious crises at the airports whenever passengers arrive and their luggages did not.

NCAA says it has held many meetings with the airline over the issue, but they did not yield any solution.

READ:  2019 Election: 70 Presidential Candidates Gunning For Presidency, As INEC Publishes Particulars Of Parties’ Candidates

Continue Reading

Nigerian News

AGF Malami Directs DSS To Hands Off Sowore’s Case

Published

on

By

AGF Malami Directs DSS To Hands Off Sowore's Case

The case of the RevolutionNow movement convener, and Sahara Reporters publisher, Omoyele Sowore has taken a new turn.

Attorney-General of the Federation and minister of justice, Abubakar Malami, has ordered the Department of State Services (DSS) to hand over the case.

Malami gave the directive in a statement on Friday.  DSS was also ordered to forward the Sowore case file to Malami’s office.  The file is in respect of the charge pending against Sowore before the federal high court in Abuja.

READ:  INEC Rejects Oby Ezekwesili's Withdrawal, Says It Is Too Late

Malami reiterated the federal government’s commitment to respecting the sanctity of the rule of law, protecting the virtues of human rights, and ensuring speedy dispensation of justice in the matter.  He has also directed the federal justice ministry to immediately take over the prosecution of all charges against Sowore.

READ:  CUPP Plans Nationwide Protest To Force Removal Of IG

Malami specifically directed that the prosecution must be in line with constitutional provisions.

The letter requesting the case transfer was sent to the DSS on Wednesday.

READ:  Onnoghen: Forum Backs Buhari On Suspension Of CJN

A seven-count treasonable felony charge is pending against Sowore and his co-defendant, Olawale Bakare.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: