Connect with us

African News

Suspected Islamists Kill At Least 19 In Latest East Congo Attack

Published

on

Suspected Islamists Kill At Least 19 In Latest East Congo Attack

Three health workers helping to contain the spread of the Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo`s eastern region have been killed and four others critically injured following a fresh attack by armed groups in the restive Ituri province.

On Wednesday, the administrator of Beni territory Donat Kibwana, says suspected Islamist rebels killed at least 19 persons during a raid that occurred overnight in the village of Maleki East Congo, in a series of attacks causing anger at the perceived inaction of the army and U.N. troops.

READ:  Militia In Congo Kills 10 Civilians In Village Raid

Kibwana blamed the attack on the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a jihadist rebel group originally from Uganda whom United Nations figures show, have killed at least 80 persons in 14 raids since the army launched an operation against them late last month.

The U.N. peacekeeping mission said in a statement on Wednesday that it would be unable to end the ADF’s violence if its forces were under attack from local people.

READ:  Benin Sacks EU Envoy For Meddling In Domestic Affairs

The who said on Tuesday, it was relocating 49 staff after crowds attacked a UN base in the town of Beni accusing UN forces of not protecting them from rebel attacks.

Ebola responders have previously been targeted by militias and people who do not believe the fatal virus is real and also have deep suspicion about how the vaccine is administered.

READ:  Botswana Deports First Group Of Namibia Refugees

DR Congo is experiencing the world’s second-worst Ebola epidemic on record, that has killed nearly 2200 people and infected more than 3,000.

Meanwhile, on Wednesday, the U.N. health agency said Congo has reported more than 250,000 suspected cases of measles this year, including more than 5,000 deaths. The figures mean that measles has killed more people in DRC than the Ebola outbreak.

African News

Rwanda, Private Sector Partner On Education

Published

on

By

Rwanda, Private Sector Partner On Education

Rwanda ministry of education has announced its partnership with the private sector to boost education and achieve its goals.

Members of the private sector have vowed to work closer with the ministry to support the sector as the government pushes for knowledge-based economy.

READ:  DR Congo: Hundreds Of Thousands Flee Ethnic Violence In Ituri Province

The private sector is working to support the government’s efforts through technology, setting up schools, teacher training, finance and community work to accelerate development especially in rural areas.

READ:  Attackers Kill DR Congo Journalist Shining Light On Ebola Virus

Minister of state in the ministry of education, Dr. Isaac Munyakazi says the private sector has much offer in quality education in addition to improving infrastructure.

READ:  Militia In Congo Kills 10 Civilians In Village Raid

Continue Reading

African News

Algeria Declares Fmr. PM Tebboune Winner Of Presidential Election

Published

on

By

Algerians Protest Against Disputed Election 

Algeria`s former prime minister Abdelmadjid Tebboune has won the nations’s presidential election with 58% of the vote, in an election marred by protests and a boycott.  74-year-old Tebboune was a civil servant before he became prime minister in 2017, he also served as housing minister and information minister.

READ:  UN Gives South Sudan $2 Million To Fight Ebola

Algeria national electoral body says the voter turnout was just 40% – the lowest ever for a multi-party election in Algeria.

The vote had been boycotted by people in the protest movement who said all the candidates were recycled. Demonstrators wanted a new kind of politics and political candidates. All five candidates in the election are former senior government officials.

READ:  Suspected Islamist Militants Kill 19, Burn Church In Eastern DR Congo

Thousands of Algerians took to the streets in Algiers on Thursday to protest against a presidential election they describe as a charade.  They were chanting “no vote! We want freedom!” They claim it was an election held to keep the ruling elite in power. Police used sticks to disperse marchers in the capital, but had to fall back as the crowd grew.

READ:  Tanzania Auctions Cashew Nuts

Continue Reading

African News

EU Removes Gabon From Euro Airspace Blacklist After 11 Years

Published

on

By

EU Removes Gabon From Euro Airspace Blacklist After 11 Years

The European Union has removed Gabonese airlines from a blacklist of airlines that are banned from flying into European airspace.

The clearance was announced earlier this week by EU commissioner for transport Adina Vălean.  This means Gabon airlines, as the National Regional Transport, NRT, can now resume flights to Europe after eleven years.

READ:  Benin Sacks EU Envoy For Meddling In Domestic Affairs

The EU commission said it removed Gabon from the list following improvement efforts in aviation safety by Gabonese authorities. It also said, it has cleared all Gabonese air carriers from the eu air safety list.

READ:  Botswana Deports First Group Of Namibia Refugees

Carriers based in the two Congos, Djibouti, and Equatorial Guinea still remain banned. Also blacklisted are Eritrea, Liberia, Libya, São Tomé and Príncipe, Sierra Leone, and the Sudan.

READ:  DR Congo Launches Offensive Against Militias 

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: