Connect with us

African News

France Debunks ISIS Claim On French Helicopters Involved In Mali Crash

Published

on

France Debunks IS’s Claim On French Helicopters Involved In Mali Crash

The French army has debunked on Friday Islamic State`s claim of having a role to play in two military helicopters crash in Mali that killed 13 French troops earlier this week during an operation against the insurgents.

France says I.S. claims were totally false as the soldiers had not been under fire from Islamic State jihadists.  This contradicts a statement from the militants.

READ:  Uganda Flooding: At Least 16 Persons Killed After Torrential Rainfall 

Islamic State in West Africa Province (ISWAP) said on Thursday the helicopters collided after one of them retreated under fire from its fighters, but it did not provide any evidence for its claim.

READ:  French Investigate Wherabouts Of Interpol Chief After Wife Reports Him Missing

French army chief of staff François Lecointre said the helicopters had crashed after colliding accidentally mid-air as they maneuvered to engage the militants, who were fleeing on motorbikes and in pick-up trucks, during a combat operation. France said it had no intention of withdrawing its forty-five hundred-strong force from Mali for fear that this could lead to even more chaos.

READ:  Guinea Police Fire Tear Gas On Banned Demo In Conakry

The 13 French casualties in Mali on Monday are the heaviest single loss for the French army in nearly four decades.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

African News

Rwanda, Private Sector Partner On Education

Published

on

By

Rwanda, Private Sector Partner On Education

Rwanda ministry of education has announced its partnership with the private sector to boost education and achieve its goals.

Members of the private sector have vowed to work closer with the ministry to support the sector as the government pushes for knowledge-based economy.

READ:  Cameroon’s President Plans National Dialogue To Solve Separatist Crisis

The private sector is working to support the government’s efforts through technology, setting up schools, teacher training, finance and community work to accelerate development especially in rural areas.

READ:  France To Ban Wearing Of Masks At Protest

Minister of state in the ministry of education, Dr. Isaac Munyakazi says the private sector has much offer in quality education in addition to improving infrastructure.

READ:  President Weah To Tackle Inflation And Poverty In Liberia

Continue Reading

African News

Algeria Declares Fmr. PM Tebboune Winner Of Presidential Election

Published

on

By

Algerians Protest Against Disputed Election 

Algeria`s former prime minister Abdelmadjid Tebboune has won the nations’s presidential election with 58% of the vote, in an election marred by protests and a boycott.  74-year-old Tebboune was a civil servant before he became prime minister in 2017, he also served as housing minister and information minister.

READ:  Ugandan Police Stops Protest Against Social Media Taxes

Algeria national electoral body says the voter turnout was just 40% – the lowest ever for a multi-party election in Algeria.

The vote had been boycotted by people in the protest movement who said all the candidates were recycled. Demonstrators wanted a new kind of politics and political candidates. All five candidates in the election are former senior government officials.

READ:  Uganda Flooding: At Least 16 Persons Killed After Torrential Rainfall 

Thousands of Algerians took to the streets in Algiers on Thursday to protest against a presidential election they describe as a charade.  They were chanting “no vote! We want freedom!” They claim it was an election held to keep the ruling elite in power. Police used sticks to disperse marchers in the capital, but had to fall back as the crowd grew.

READ:  South Africa Rations Water To Save Dwindling Supplies

Continue Reading

African News

EU Removes Gabon From Euro Airspace Blacklist After 11 Years

Published

on

By

EU Removes Gabon From Euro Airspace Blacklist After 11 Years

The European Union has removed Gabonese airlines from a blacklist of airlines that are banned from flying into European airspace.

The clearance was announced earlier this week by EU commissioner for transport Adina Vălean.  This means Gabon airlines, as the National Regional Transport, NRT, can now resume flights to Europe after eleven years.

READ:  Cameroon’s President Plans National Dialogue To Solve Separatist Crisis

The EU commission said it removed Gabon from the list following improvement efforts in aviation safety by Gabonese authorities. It also said, it has cleared all Gabonese air carriers from the eu air safety list.

READ:  D’Tigers To Know Group Opponents On March 16

Carriers based in the two Congos, Djibouti, and Equatorial Guinea still remain banned. Also blacklisted are Eritrea, Liberia, Libya, São Tomé and Príncipe, Sierra Leone, and the Sudan.

READ:  16 Killed In Stampede In Madagascar's Capital

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.

%d bloggers like this: