Connect with us

African News

Uganda Elections: Facebook Shuts Down Government-Linked Accounts

Published

on

Facebook has shutdown dozens of accounts connected to Uganda’s ruling party National Resistance Movement (NRM). It accused on Monday the various accounts of seeking to manipulate public debate ahead of Thursday’s general elections.

President Yoweri Museveni`s aide Don Wanyama says Facebook and twitter are being opponents of the ruling party –NRM as the election nears.

The east African nation-Uganda is holding presidential and parliamentary polls after a tense and bloody campaign, with 76-year-old president Yoweri Museveni, facing a stiff challenge from the 38-year-old popstar-turned-politician Bobi Wine.

Museveni’s senior press secretary Don Wanyama, who saw both his Facebook and Instagram account shut down, accused the company of seeking to influence the election.

“This month, we removed a network of accounts and pages in Uganda that engaged in CIB (Coordinated Inauthentic Behaviour) to target public debate ahead of the election,” Facebook’s head of communication for sub-Saharan Africa, Kezia Anim-Addo, told news agency AFP.

“they used fake and duplicate accounts to manage pages, comment on other people’s content, impersonate users, re-share posts in groups to make them appear more popular that they were.”

Anim-Addo said the network was linked to the ministry of information and communications technology.

“Given the impending election in Uganda, We moved quickly to investigate and take down this network.”

One of president Yuweri Museveni `s aide said …”they should “unfreeze” accounts they froze yesterday & today,” don Wanyama tweeted on Sunday.

He urged the Uganda communications commission “to act to ensure a fair digital playfield.”

“Shame on the foreign forces that think they can aid and plant a puppet leadership on Uganda by disabling online accounts of NRM supporters. You won’t take away president Kaguta Museveni,” Wanyama was quoted as saying by the daily monitor news site. 

Ashburg Kato, a famous blogger for the ruling party, accused opposition politician and presidential candidate Bobi Wine and his aides of being behind the shutdown.

“Facebook itself deleted our accounts on the request of Bobi Wine’s handlers,” Kato tweeted.

Bobi Wine has not commented on the allegations.

African News

Sierra Leone To ‘Impose Covid Curfew And Travel Ban’

Published

on

By

Sierra Leone government has announced a re-introduction of lockdown on the capital city-Freetown.  Authorities also announced a night-time curfew throughout the country to counter what they call the “exponential” increase of coronavirus cases in the country.

Freetown has recorded more than half of the cases of infections in Sierra Leone.

The new measures, initially set for two weeks, and others made public on Thursday, will begin from Monday.

The government center for response to covid-19 also said in a statement, authorities have decided to restrict entry and exit from the western area, the territory corresponding to Freetown and its surroundings.

Restaurants and bars will have to remain closed on weekends and the wearing of masks remains mandatory in public places.

Sierra Leone has reported 3,081 cases of covid-19 and 77 deaths since march last year.

Travel outside Freetown considered essential is subject to a negative Covid test within 72 hours. An electronic pass will be introduced “to regulate essential movements,” the center said. It will also be accessible through a mobile application.

A curfew will be re-established throughout the country from 22H00 to 5H00 (local and GMT).

“Since December 2020, we observe an exponential increase in confirmed cases of Covid-19, largely due to the holiday season”, explains the government center.

Four out of five (80%) cases of infection were detected during routine testing or in travelers leaving the country. This is “a strong indication of active community transmission,” where the precise source of infection is undetermined, a sign of virus circulation and a complicating factor in the response” the government center said.

The former British colony of 7.5 million people had been hard hit by the Ebola epidemic in West Africa, which killed nearly 4,000 people in the country between 2014 and 2016. It is still struggling to recover from a civil war that killed some 120,000 people nearly 20 years after the end of the conflict.

Continue Reading

African News

Central African Republic Declares Emergency As Rebels Surround Bangui

Published

on

By

Central African Republic (CAR) has declared a state of emergency for at least fifteen days to combat rebels who have tried to lay siege on the nation`s capital Bangui.

C.A.R. declared the emergency on Thursday to help it crack down on armed groups, after the united nations’ envoy to the country asked the un security council for the deployment of many more peacekeepers or troops in response to a recent surge in attacks.

Authorities say this move will help the government to detain suspects without the authorization of prosecutors.

Rebel factions now control most of the country and are calling for the resignation of president Faustin-Archange Touadéra, the winner of December’s election.

Last week the rebels launched attacks on the capital’s suburbs, but withdrew after an intervention by the un peacekeeping force. The fighting has forced nearly 60,000 persons to flee the country.

Continue Reading

African News

UK Bans Travel From Tanzania And DR Congo Over COVID

Published

on

By

The United Kingdom has banned passengers from two more African countries, Tanzania and Democratic Republic of the Congo from today –Friday, in a move to stop the spread of coronavirus pandemic and the new variant.

Transport secretary Grant Shapps said in a tweet on Thursday, all passengers from these countries except British and Irish nationals and third country nationals with residents rights will be denied entry

Shapps said U.K is continuing to monitor COVID-19 rates and new strains of the virus across the globe.  He said this, alongside the suspension of travel corridors and pre-departure testing, will help protect its borders.

Earlier this month passengers from 11 other southern African countries were banned from entering the UK for similar reasons.

The Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) said on Thursday, the continent’s COVID-19 death rate is now higher than the global average. Africa stands at two and a half percent against global average of 2.2%. It listed Democratic Republic of the Congo among 21 African nations with a death rate above 3%.

The authorities in Tanzania have downplayed the extent of the epidemic in the country and have not been releasing any data on infections or deaths.

In June last year, the Tanzanian president John Magufuli declared that the country was “coronavirus-free” thanks to prayers by citizens.

However, the World health Organization (WHO) expressed concern over the country’s strategy on COVID-19.

The authorities from Tanzania or the DR Congo have not yet commented on the development.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2018 African News Network. All Rights Reserved.